Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

All this fighting over one little liquor license request. Sheesh.

This is a quality of life issue for some of us.

This area isnt just some place to come and have brunch , coffee or feel "cool". For some of us we have invested our money and future here, either though businesses, building renovations or through taking out mortgages on homes. So yes, this is a big deal when we know the history of the place we planted ourselves for more than a quick visit or for the duration of an apartment lease. 

So you will have to excuse us that come off as a bit to sensitive about this. Even the "little" things will get our attention and rightfully so. 

My home was a former crack house. There is still graffiti in my attic on the smoke stack.. It is much nicer thanks to the investment of the former owner that cleaned up the place. It also meant I paid a lot more than some of the houses on my street, but I considered it worth it because I wanted to be here because it was close to DT and it wasnt a dodgy neighborhood anymore (crime had fallen, owner-occupied, shady businesses were clearing out).

So when I hear that a party store (4 min from where I live) that was part of the blight of Wealthy, that had lost its licence to sell a commodity that was a major part of that, wants to sell it again, knowing what I know about the quality of the majority of these types of places within a square-mile of where I live, I will not pretend that it does not concern me. If these guys are mature, responsible folks, and not the all too typical "I dont give a crap" party store owners, then I will rest easy. But not until I see it.

Ok, enough about that.

• Like 2

This is a quality of life issue for some of us.

This area isnt just some place to come and have brunch , coffee or feel "cool". For some of us we have invested our money and future here, either though businesses, building renovations or through taking out mortgages on homes. So yes, this is a big deal when we know the history of the place we planted ourselves for more than a quick visit or for the duration of an apartment lease. 

So you will have to excuse us that come off as a bit to sensitive about this. Even the "little" things will get our attention and rightfully so. 

My home was a former crack house. There is still graffiti in my attic on the smoke stack.. It is much nicer thanks to the investment of the former owner that cleaned up the place. It also meant I paid a lot more than some of the houses on my street, but I considered it worth it because I wanted to be here because it was close to DT and it wasnt a dodgy neighborhood anymore (crime had fallen, owner-occupied, shady businesses were clearing out).

So when I hear that a party store (4 min from where I live) that was part of the blight of Wealthy, that had lost its licence to sell a commodity that was a major part of that, wants to sell it again, knowing what I know about the quality of the majority of these types of places within a square-mile of where I live, I will not pretend that it does not concern me. If these guys are mature, responsible folks, and not the all too typical "I dont give a crap" party store owners, then I will rest easy. But not until I see it.

Ok, enough about that.

I'd be sensitive to it too if it were happening in my neighborhood. Just seems to be a hot topic all over considering it affects such a small portion of the city.

• 2 weeks later...

So has everyone here been to Grand Rapids Brewing Co? What do you think of their beer? (I won't tell you want I think)

I've had 4 or 5 of their beers in my few visits and they were all excellent.  Slightly above to above average for craft beers, on par with some of the other excellent beers made here in GR.  Would need further testing for a more thorough conclusion. :)

Some interesting information via the "Live Wealthy" Facebook page:

In 1917 the owner of the two-story Elston Storage Building needed to make a large expansion to his facility located at 733 Wealthy St SE in Grand Rapids, MI. Positioned in the middle of a deeply entrenched residential community, he knew the only place to go was up. He consulted with renowned Grand Rapids Architect Lee DeCamp to offer an affordable solution. Mr. DeCamp looked at many possibilities, but decided to raise the roof and build three more stories under it. It was an aggressive “Feat in Engineering”, but F. S. Elston proceeded with the project. The October 28, 1917 edition of The Grand Rapids Herald reported “in 65 working days added three stories, set the original roof in place without even a crack, and all the while Mr. Elston was doing business in the original two stories. There was not a dollar’s worth of damage. “ When completed the warehouse was the largest in the State, absolutely fireproof, and “the last word in construction of such buildings.”

It is with that same pioneering spirit of business savvy and innovation that the Elston Storage Building will be developed into a state of the art center called “Live Wealthy.” A place where tenants and business owners can experience more than just an opportunity for financial wealth. All on Wealthy Street.

Looks like this is happening. Some great renderings and information on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Live-Wealthy/

Joe

I enjoyed the John Ball Brown and their stout, however I'd rank them below Brewery Vivant, Founders and Perrin. They in my opinion as in a great spot downtown will do great.

I'd agree with that. I like Rosalynn Bliss as a person, but the beer falls flat. The Silver Foam is downright awful.

I did check out Rockford Brewing Company this past weekend. I had the Carriage House Ale. It was pretty good and the space (upstairs particularly) is way bigger than I thought it was. Dangerously close to the White Pine Trail. Thinking of setting up a group ride from Riverside Park up for a few beers and back, if anyone's interested (when the weather gets warmer).

• Like 1

These are like my new favorite people right now!

Not only is this the biggest rehab happening on Wealthy short of something happening with the church next door, It has the potential to inject some life into that string of bordered-up buildings from Eastern to Charles. Maybe even further in either direction.

Too bad Literary Life couldn't hold on for just a bit longer.

These are like my new favorite people right now!

Not only is this the biggest rehab happening on Wealthy short of something happening with the church next door, It has the potential to inject some life into that string of bordered-up buildings from Eastern to Charles. Maybe even further in either direction.

Too bad Literary Life couldn't hold on for just a bit longer.

Literary Life will get some new life soon, fyi.

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/features/01172012cyc.aspx

Founders has wasted no time in ripping up their tiny front parking lot for the latest expansion.  The only parking lot left is a small one on the rear of their parcel.  Although it will probably take a year or two to grow into their current capacity (this is pure conjecture on my part, they did just add Texas and Florida to their footprint), after that they'll just have to buy out Lady Godiva's and keep expanding west. Then they could put a nice big purple neon Founders logo pointing north toward downtown. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoman311/8620002639/in/photostream

8620002639_4756524712_o.jpg

Edited by fotoman311

I will be there today at 3:00 and will report back to everyone what I find...

Two big holes in the ground.  That's what was there when I rode by about 3pm, as well.  They've started digging the foundation for the envelope building on the north end.  They already have the foundations in place for many of the supports for the trusses at the south end.  Maybe GRDad will have photos. It was pretty wet out at 3pm, though.

Two big holes in the ground.  That's what was there when I rode by about 3pm, as well.  They've started digging the foundation for the envelope building on the north end.  They already have the foundations in place for many of the supports for the trusses at the south end.  Maybe GRDad will have photos. It was pretty wet out at 3pm, though.

Yeah, the site was pretty wet and messy. I did get a pic of these. Were they there before?

8645765874_18cab07a7e.jpg