Travel observations and new developments of other cities and countries

markhollin

5 hours ago, chc3 said:

Earlier this month I posted some views of the Northern Cascades from the NE side of the island. Last Saturday I took a long walk through the snowy forests at the Ft. Ebey State Park and shot some views lookin west at the Olympic Peninsula and the Olympic Mountains.

IMG_6343.jpeg

IMG_6341.jpeg

IMG_6337.jpeg

Beautiful.   We hiked around Ft. Ebey in August (and spent a night at the nearby Captain Whidbey Inn).   The views from Ft. Ebey across the Sound are stunning, as your photos show.  

Btw, @chc3, if you haven't seen the documentary, Race to Alaska, I recommend it to you.   Documents the annual 750 mile sailing race from Port Townsend (just across the water from where you took these) to Ketchikan.  A fun watch and spectacular scenery.   

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 10:54 PM, markhollin said:

New renderings for Chicago's 400 Lake Shore Drive, which is one of my fave designs in the country right now. Tower One is underway at 72 stories, 875',  with 635 units.  2nd phase will be 765' and will start in several years (courtesy of YIMBY Chicago):

Built on the site of the defunct Chicago Spire project, what would have been the tallest building in the western hemisphere. I remember following that project seemingly daily back in the mid-2000s until shady developers and the credit crisis killed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SoundScan said:

Built on the site of the defunct Chicago Spire project, what would have been the tallest building in the western hemisphere. I remember following that project seemingly daily back in the mid-2000s until shady developers and the credit crisis killed it.

That was an awesome design.  Would have made me love my second favorite skyline even more.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

Yes, my dad and I work for a travel company and I’m a representative for them at conferences. The company is based in the UK and I’m living and working there now.

However I’m also visiting my cousin who lives in australia as well as some close friends here.

Hey Binbin, you gotta get us in on this deal. I do public speaking all the time. We all here will do public speaking for a trip to London or Australia.

😜👍

Edited by NissanvilleTitans
  • Haha 2

I guess if you have deep pockets and want to make a name for yourself, then pulling off something bizarre like this might help. There’s absolutely no reason for it, but then there’s no reason for Burj Khalifa or the Kingdom Tower in Saudi Arabia, just super rich people who seek attention. I like taller buildings and density, but there has to be a limit just in the safety realm alone.