Travel observations and new developments of other cities and countries

markhollin

I ask is the Blue Oval project going to benefit Jackson More or Memphis more? This is just a question to throw out to you and get a consensus on. It sits halfway between both cities. Or is it going to create a new boom city? Let's say turning Stanton into the next Spring Hill. I can't say that the GM plant really benefited Nashville that much except create a traffic nightmare south of the city.

Infrastructure in Memphis is lacking. Suburbs like Lakeland and Bartlett will benefit, but I also think Jackson, Covington, Fayette County all benefit from housing growth because of their sewer infrastructure. 

On 2/19/2024 at 8:32 AM, lmc123 said:

Jackson, TN
City of Jackson Mayor Scott Conger:
"Knowing where you are is important to visualize where you can go.  There’s still a lot of work to be done, but having a vision and goal provides direction, motivation, clarity, and purpose, guiding actions towards accomplishments, fostering growth, and inspiring progress. You can find the full Vision Book documents at the link below:
https://www.jacksontn.gov/residents/masterplanning

May be an image of road and text

May be an image of text

May be an image of lumberyard and text

May be an image of lighting and text

Also, the Jackson plaza property in the first two images is publicly owned by the City. So any developers interested in this deal could likely get the vision done because of the land being publicly controlled. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

I ask is the Blue Oval project going to benefit Jackson More or Memphis more? This is just a question to throw out to you and get a consensus on. It sits halfway between both cities. Or is it going to create a new boom city? Let's say turning Stanton into the next Spring Hill. I can't say that the GM plant really benefited Nashville that much except create a traffic nightmare south of the city.

I think both will benefit. For many, I assume it will just come down to preference between a "large-" and small/medium-sized city. In Memphis, the eastern suburbs likely will be the big winners — Lakeland, Arlington, Collierville, Bartlett to an extent, etc. Lakeland already has a billboard welcoming Blue Oval. I think those suburbs will be vying for the influx of workers.

I think the distance to both cities is a bit of a stretch. When you look at Toyota in Georgetown, ky. It definitely benefited Lexington which is 18 miles from the plant. But Scott county which Georgetown resides, was a nothing county before the plant and now is the fastest growing county in the state. Jackson is 44 miles, and Memphis is 55 miles away from Blue oval. Arlington is only 24, so it'll see benefit from the plant, but I think the real winner will be Brownsville. It's county is around the same size as Scott county, ky was before Toyota. I believe given enough time, Brownsville may grow larger than Jackson. Jackson should see some benefit and grow itself but nowhere near the rate of Brownsville.

• Like 1

It's come a long way from the time I went to law/biz school there, but it's still one of the ugliest cities in the south. The new buildings look nice. Making progress though! Just lots of poverty. Loved Brighleaf back in the day (Satisfaction Pizza, et.al.) and Bullock's BBQ (best in the Carolinas) but I doubt they're even still there. Anyway, great times in DuR back in early 90s. I even remember the last game in the Bulls old bp. A serious dump. Their new park opened the next year... a great one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

It's come a long way from the time I went to law/biz school there, but it's still one of the ugliest cities in the south. The new buildings look nice. Making progress though! Just lots of poverty. Loved Brighleaf back in the day (Satisfaction Pizza, et.al.) and Bullock's BBQ (best in the Carolinas) but I doubt they're even still there. Anyway, great times in DuR back in early 90s. I even remember the last game in the Bulls old bp. A serious dump. Their new park opened the next year... a great one. 

I just ate at Bullocks this past weekend and it was crowded as usual and one of the oldest if not the oldest restaurant  in Durham.  

Actually Durham County has less poverty and higher median income than Nashville due to its new tech, medicine and biopharma based economy.  You should come back and visit and trust me you will be amazed at the changes.

U.S. Census Bureau QuickFacts: Nashville-Davidson metropolitan government (balance), Tennessee; Durham County, North Carolina

The DPAC Durham Performing Arts Center is one of the best performing arts center in the county and regularly attracts people from all over the Triangle and eastern NC.  

DPAC Scores #1 National Ranking | DPAC Official Site (dpacnc.com)

The Durham Bulls ballpark is the one of the best minor league stadiums in the country.  It is surrounded by 3 office buildings now.    I am telling you this city has transformed itself economically and the look of the city. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Not to be disrespectful, but this is starting to seem like , a my city is better then yours competition. I’m sure Durham, Raleigh, Charlotte are all great places and you’re proud of them. But this isn’t about and should not be a down right bring out the charts comparison, pointing out that you feel it’s a better place then our beloved city of Nashville. I’m sorry, but this is the NASHVILLE urban planet forum and if we want to read about other cities in that kind of detail we can look them up . I know this particular thread is other cities and countries, but I’m not thinking it’s meant to be a place to hash out any statistics on a specific cities superiority over others. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

19 minutes ago, NissanvilleTitans said:

Before this thread was hi-jacked and for some random reason we had statistics about durham shoved into our faces, we were talking about who benefits the most from Blue Oval City. I'd like to hear other's opinions. Please and Thank You!

Yes,thank you. I’m thinking Blue Oval City will be just that, a whole new city! I can see development center around the general area of the ford operations and eventually create a new town. Sort of like Williston North Dakota did with the oil fields, it will make sense to build as close to the employment base then 25-50 miles away