DOWNTOWN RETAIL WISHLIST

smeagolsfree

There was a thread like this at one time but after looking through 15 pages I got lazy. As the title says, what retail do we need Downtown, SoBro, Midtown. 

Even if we have something what do we need duplicates of. This is not only for residents but things visitors would want as well.

Ok guys, I will start by saying

Urban Target. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fast casual food and maybe some cheap ethnic food in Rutledge Hill and RMH. Something like Blue Coast, and maybe a cheap Chinese restaurant. Preferably open late. I work in the area and it’s a pain in the rear to go find something if you’re not wanting to take your car or pay for an Uber. Hopefully once the residential and hotel density increases they’ll be a few places open. 

I would like to think of the iconic NES building transformed into an urban Super Target (with additional related retail & food options). Should be plenty of space below grade of Church Street for a parking deck. Pedestrian enhancements of the Church Street viaduct to make the stroll from CBD a more pleasant experience would be nice, as well.

And as humble as this dream is, a few scattered, upgraded Dollar General stores (or stores of that nature) would provide easier access to the types of products we need every day, but don’t necessarily have time to run to a more distant Target-type store. (You know, like toothpaste, deodorant, toilet paper, etc. Hard to start the day without either of those three products!)

13 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Well gotta be legal first and it will be a while before the state turns blue again.

There are plenty of Libertarians who vote red and are pro-legalization.

Back to retail, we will need a property owner who supports local businesses and is willing to keep rents at a level that is attainable for non-chain stores.

17 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

a few scattered, upgraded Dollar General stores (or stores of that nature) would provide easier access to the types of products we need every day, but don’t necessarily have time to run to a more distant Target-type store. (You know, like toothpaste, deodorant, toilet paper, etc. Hard to start the day without either of those three products!)

I'd really like to see Dollar General scatter 3-4 more of its DGX concept stores in the downtown-Gulch-Germantown areas. Seems like it would be a great fit and probably better positioned for foot traffic than the prototype DGX store on West End.

And I think this has been mentioned on here before, but IKEA says it's about to build 30 smaller stores in urban centers. Seems like a great potential addition to the new River North project near Top Golf.

12 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Well gotta be legal first and it will be a while before the state turns blue again. But as for the rest of the above I agree. Cheap food may be comming in the food hall at 5th plus Broad. Wish we knew what retail was going to Nadhville Yards as there is supposed to be a lot.

John Boehner will be getting the red states on board....  His position on cannabis has "evolved."  So, he's now traveling the country selling marijuana stock tips....  

On the primary topic, I agree that all areas of the urban core in Nashville will need affordable retail and dining.    Downtown, SoBro, The Gulch and Midtown all need quick eat/carry-out restaurants.  Locals need a variety of options in all of those areas.  One thing that I love about the DC area is the variety of locally owned restaurants.  While DC does not have a lot of 24 hour places, there are many late night places to go to.  One of my favorite places is a bookstore/restaurant called Kramers in the Dupont Circle area of DC.  The combination of it being a bookstore, bar and restaurant keeps a pretty good crowd coming.  It's also a late night place.  Sunday through Thursday they are open till 1:00AM.   Friday and Saturday they are open till 3:00AM.  The open everyday at 7:30AM.    I've gone to concerts and other shows and went straight to Kramer's afterwards because I knew it would be open.  While not overly expensive it's not necessarily cheap eats.  For that DC has a Chinese Restaurant called Yums that people seem to love.  They open at 11AM and close around 4AM.  The Crystal City area of Northern VA (where Amazon will locate) has a 24 hour Kabob restaurant that is a mainstay for people in the DC area.  Very popular for cabbies as well.   If a 24 hour Kabob place can survive in Crystal City long before Amazon's arrival, all the areas in the urban core of Nashville can support multiple restaurants as well.

As far as retail goes, I still want to see all of the Beaman car lots go and be replaced with a shopping/residential complex that includes an urban Target, Marshall's or TJ Max, Home Goods or Home Sense, and an urban Costco as the anchors.  The Pentagon City area of northern VA has re-branded their Costco to being urban because it's now surrounded by high rise apartments and condos.  They've done away with most of the surface parking and built a multi-level garage that also houses the Costco Automotive Center.  It's connected to an older indoor shopping center that has Best Buy, Nordstrom's Rack, Marshalls, Modell's Sporting Goods, Mattress Warehouse, CVS and there's also a California Pizza Kitchen, On the Border and Starbucks.  Literally across the street from that is a shopping mall that has Macy's and Nordstrom's as anchors.   There's no surface parking lots.  All the parking is in a garage that's attached to the backside of the mall.   There's even a Ritz Carlton connected to this mall.  On the backside of that mall is another retail and residential complex called Pentagon Row.  It has small surface lots but most of their parking is underground.  The complex includes apartments and condos built on top of retail stores and restaurants.  It includes Bed, Bath & Beyond, Harris Teeter, Rite-Aid, LA Fitness, DSW, World Market, Unleashed (small urban sized Petco) and several small chain stores.  There are several restaurants in this shopping complex as well offering a variety of foods and atmosphere.  Google Pentagon City, VA and you'll see the footprint of the area.  

In Nashville I would love to see the whole area of Broadway bound by I-40 to the east, Grundy Street to the north, 16th Ave. S. to the west and McGavock Street to the south developed in the same manner as the shopping area of Pentagon City but with a little more style to the structure of the buildings.  It would be a good match for what is already in the area, the Broad West project and such a complex can add even more residential development.

50 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

I'd really like to see Dollar General scatter 3-4 more of its DGX concept stores in the downtown-Gulch-Germantown areas. Seems like it would be a great fit and probably better positioned for foot traffic than the prototype DGX store on West End.

I know this isn't your point, but the West End DGX gets plenty of foot traffic, especially now that you can scoot to/from it.

Being homegrown, it would be nice to see DGX stores downtown instead of Walgreens, CVS, et al.

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

I have yet to go into the DGx on West End but I hear its really cool inside.

It’s super convenient. A store set up like that would absolutely kill it downtown. They have pretty much everything you could need as far as household items are concerned, albeit a little limited for food items. They have decent grab and go lunch options as well. 

On 11/20/2018 at 8:46 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Well gotta be legal first and it will be a while before the state turns blue again. 

Several red states allow medical...and even 2-3 red states (or what is considered a swing state) allow recreational.  There aren’t that many blue or red states that allow recreational right now (maybe 10 states?)..but that will change quickly on both sides soon.  I bet all 50 will be recreational within 10 years.

A lot of these issues can change fast when there's a clear direction to public opinion.  For instance same-sex marriage, I would never have believed that would come so soon, but it was clear where society was headed, so we just went there.   Recreational marijuana is similar and remember, it has already taken a long time.  It was being seriously discussed 50 years ago and only came to a head through referendums because the public was way ahead of the politicians on this.

I would second everyone's opinion about convenience stores and reasonably priced restaurants. With Whole Foods and Publix coming in we should be set for a while from a grocery perspective. 

A few additional thoughts:  A good, local bookstore.  A good sized furniture/home furnishings store. A good sized men's store (ideally something reasonably priced but not low end).  Two or Three Dunkin Donuts (I really love the one on Elliston) or something similar.  

I also would be curious to see if Nashville is at the point of supporting an ongoing performers in residence similar to what is in Vegas.  Could Nashville support a theater seating 1000 people 5 night per week?  Either a Cirque-type show or a highly produced concert.  We already do this to some degree with the Grand Old Opry and with the Christmas show, but I do wonder if it could be expanded to a theater downtime as well. 

12 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

I also would be curious to see if Nashville is at the point of supporting an ongoing performers in residence similar to what is in Vegas.  Could Nashville support a theater seating 1000 people 5 night per week?  Either a Cirque-type show or a highly produced concert.  We already do this to some degree with the Grand Old Opry and with the Christmas show, but I do wonder if it could be expanded to a theater downtime as well. 

Did I read somewhere that Garth is going to do something like that at the Ryman on a mini-scale?  Or was that someone else?

1 hour ago, Skyscrapergeek said:

Hugo Boss

Hasn’t an H&M store already been announced for 5th & Broadway?  That should be a significant department store  

Jamba Juice would do well downtown; also urban versions of fast food outlets like McDonalds, Chik-fil-A.  

Starbucks will thrive regardless of how many are in place. 

Archived