Harbor Heights Progress

vdogg

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hobo, go over and watch the folks over at tazwell dig pile caps and tell me what that liquid substance is over there. and why are those pumps in teh holes? why did trader have to do the same?

i want to publicly apologize. tazwell is 2 feet ABOVE sea level. and trader is a whopping 4 1/2 feet ABOVE sea level. :ph34r:

Construction dewatering. Again, Norfolk is barely above sea level and the area has a high water table.

I'm confused. How are saying I'm right and wrong at the same time?

Construction dewatering. Again, Norfolk is barely above sea level and the area has a high water table.

I'm confused. How are saying I'm right and wrong at the same time?

There are multiple sections of the city that are confirmed below sealevel. If we weren't below sealevel why would the have a pump station DT?

There are multiple sections of the city that are confirmed below sealevel. If we weren't below sealevel why would the have a pump station DT?

Because the stormwater facilities are inadequate to handle heavy rain events. Inadequate facilities do not equal below sea level. All they prove is the area is a drainage basin. Which downtown Norfolk is since it is reclaimed swampland.

The street in front my parents' house floods during heavy rains beacuse the storm drain backs up. According to hurricane storm surge maps, their street will stay dry in a Cat 5 storm. Just because the street floods doesn't mean they're below sea level.

Alright, Lets all assume that lots of HR is below sea leavel in certin areas.

Back on topic-

This is still not the reason for the poor sewage problems in Norfolk.

Actually it is. Water infiltrates sewer pipes and storm drains especially when these pipes are under the water table. Even the best sealed pipes develop leaks over time. Tree roots don't help either. Also, dumping grease (home and restaurants) in sewer lines clogs them up resulting in poor flow and even sewer overflows.

"Through November 30th, watch for the closure of Tazewell Street between Granby and Boush Streets, 100 year old water and sewer lines will be replaced and new utilities installed for the Harbor Heights project. While sidewalks will be closed, pedestrian access will be maintained to businesses."

From the DNC website

Actually it is. Water infiltrates sewer pipes and storm drains especially when these pipes are under the water table. Even the best sealed pipes develop leaks over time. Tree roots don't help either. Also, dumping grease (home and restaurants) in sewer lines clogs them up resulting in poor flow and even sewer overflows.

Thats exactly what I was saying before. Read back a few posts. I was just saying that to get back on topic.

Thats exactly what I was saying before. Read back a few posts. I was just saying that to get back on topic.

Sorry about the misunderstandin. I get it now. You were saying the sewer network, not the city, is below sea level. And that is why infiltration is so high.

Sorry about the misunderstandin. I get it now. You were saying the sewer network, not the city, is below sea level. And that is why infiltration is so high.

Yeah, and that Norfolks system is horrible and has been neglected for many, many years. Thats the real reason for the back-ups.

The more I see of this building the more I like. It's really going to add a huge presence to that section of Norfolk. Spring of '07 seems like an awfully tall order though considering how many delays they've run into.

Well considering that it was supposed to originally be completed in October/November of '06 but ended up being delayed for 5 months, the new projected spring '07 date is right. They clearly are on track in their construction process, it was obviously only held back a few months so the completion date was obviously adjusted accordingly

Well considering that it was supposed to originally be completed in October/November of '06 but ended up being delayed for 5 months, the new projected spring '07 date is right. They clearly are on track in their construction process, it was obviously only held back a few months so the completion date was obviously adjusted accordingly

Yes, but I think we all agree that the delay was beyond the normal delay in construction. I'm factoring in weather delays as well and saying it may be even a bit beyond that. This is a tough project to complete when you consider all the components going in to it. It's a pretty complex building. That being said I think summer/fall 07 would not be out of the question, which would put it in line with Granby and the Westin. Now on to my news. It appears that the piles in one corner of the lot are being dug out already in much the same fashion that they did for Trader prior to the pile caps. I mention this only because I also saw sitting on the site what looked to be supiciously like a yellow section of tower crane. Could they be getting ready for tower cranes this soon? I could be very wrong but that sequence of events peaked my interest.

Archived