Harbor Heights Progress

vdogg

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard the pile driver working for about 20 minutes earlier this morning, but other than that, I've noticeed that its been rather quiet over the past few days at the site.

I don't know if this is related, but Granby Street was closed for a good part of the day on Monday between Market Street and City Hall Avenue. There were a some construction vehicles on site, but I never got close enough to see exactly what they were working on.

Word has it the city is slowing them from driving the normal set of piles due to the contruction on the century old sewer/water lines.

It's funny how I had a hunch on that that I posted a few posts above this one seems to be true.

Thats because we are below sea level.

Well, that is part of it, but its actually because the system is backed up on the inside with cracks, blockages and buildups. And our pumps cant keep up with the drainage. If you think about it, all of Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are below sea level too. They dont have anywhere near the probelms that Norfolk has.

There was actually a artice in the paper a few months/maybe a year ago, about Norfolks drainage system. It stated why it backed up, and what they were doing to relieve these problems. They are trying to fix the problem but they just said its because the system is so old and hasn't had many repairs in years. the system was just neglected for many, many years. So, were paying for it now. But, hopefully soon they will take care of it!

Norfolk is definetly below sea level. But thats not the problem. The problem is the city has let the system go without major maintenance for years and it has finally gotten to the point where it either corroded(sp) or cracked causing leaks. The majority of the system is litteraly 100 years+ old. This isnt uncommon amoung older port cities like Norfolk or Baltimore. Its just the maintenance that needs to be done in order to preserve the system to keep it working properly. The blockages and buildups are things that need to be taken care of on a yearly basis. There are mutiple ways to do this, with different price tags for each. Some ranging to very expensive while others arent as bad. If you pay attention, you'll notice there is almost always a repair man in the main downtown pumpstation over by nauticas. the reason for that is because of the blockages and whatnot, causing the pumps to work harder, creating them to fail, thus causing more and more maintenance to be done. all this means is the city of norfolk is being reactive instead of proactive. in hindsight they should have just taken care of the smaller issues as they arose, but now its larger problems that carry larger costs to repair so they keep getting pushed to the way side. its just a big mess that will go on forever and the residents of hampton roads will have to deal with.

Although Downtown Norfolk was created by filling in swamps along the Elizabeth, it is not below sea level. Norfolk cannot be below sea level because the water table is so high in HR that the any digging in low-lying areas gets you a pond. Norfolk would also need dykes (read: not bulkheads or sea walls) to keep out the sea.

hobo, go over and watch the folks over at tazwell dig pile caps and tell me what that liquid substance is over there. and why are those pumps in teh holes? why did trader have to do the same?

i want to publicly apologize. tazwell is 2 feet ABOVE sea level. and trader is a whopping 4 1/2 feet ABOVE sea level. :ph34r:

I've read multiple times that there are parts of Vabeach, Chesapeake and most of Norfolk is under sea level. I've seen charts that showed the areas that are under sea level.

The tunnels running in and out of the area are below sea level, and maybe a few isolated spots. But I'd be pleased if you could provide those charts, Rus. As hoobo points out and soloextreme verifies, the water table IS very high. Holland is below sea level and look at all of its dykes. I've never seen or heard of any in HR. :)

The tunnels running in and out of the area are below sea level, and maybe a few isolated spots. But I'd be pleased if you could provide those charts, Rus. As hoobo points out and soloextreme verifies, the water table IS very high. Holland is below sea level and look at all of its dykes. I've never seen or heard of any in HR. :)

Guess you haven't been in Ghent when it rains hard.

Archived