Harbor Heights Progress

vdogg

(The test piles in April don't count)

:rofl: I was gonna make a comment on that but I see you've already covered that base. They have been moving extremely fast, it seems like all of the projects start off like this. Really slow and then one day the whole site explodes.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WhoooHooooo!! Just makes me wanna... :yahoo: "shake it fast, watch yoself'"!

ya'll are having a lottttt of fun with these new smileys.... lol.

But it is true. Initially, VBTC seemed to be going slowly, then all asudden Tower I was on it's tenth floor and tenant lists were announced. It'll all happen in due time with these new projects :)

Wow, HH is gonna make for some great pics. Coming down Boush from Brambleton you can see the portion of the tower crane that is put up on the HH site and it's flanked in the immediate background by Trader towers cranes. It really gives u a feel for how dense things are gonna be.

Wow, HH is gonna make for some great pics. Coming down Boush from Brambleton you can see the portion of the tower crane that is put up on the HH site and it's flanked in the immediate background by Trader towers cranes. It really gives u a feel for how dense things are gonna be.

I can't wait either! Man its going to be a beautiful skyline!

Just a little update...

The tower crane is def. on its way up. Its already a few hundred feet up. last night at 8:00 p.m. there was people still out working on it (talk about dedication!). I saw the same this morning bright and early(7:30).

In order to meet their self imposed deadlines they have to be dedicated. They'll probably have that tower crane finished by the afternoon.

Ace to the rescue with the compromise. :lol: It's funny trying to nail the color down on this thing.

I just saw it on my way to the office and the lower section of the crane looks to be a mix of orange/yellow to me. However, there is no mistaking the color of the upper section - thats black for sure. The color of the crane doesn't really matter as along as the crane does its job - help build Norfolk's skyline. :shades:

These are pictures I took on my cell phone YESTERDAY around 4 in the afternoon as I was leaving my lab class. These were taken on the 2nd floor of the Andrews building. Sorry for the small size and they are a little dark because the sun was pointed my way so it was hard to focus and have some brightness but I think they are still viewable.

Here's the yellow portion of the tower crane:

HarborHCell-b.jpg

Here's that same black crane that put Trader's tower cranes together back in July:

HarborHCell-a.jpg

Also of note, as I drove down 264 towards downtown, along with the heavy traffic, seeing all these cranes and construction from NSU to Downtown makes you feel like you're in a different city already. It's almost as if I'm nowhere near Norfolk! It's great to see Downtown really going to new heights!

Geez, I took those pictures at around 10:00 this morning.

At this pace they might have the grocery store finished by lunch tomorrow, LOL.

lol that's hilarious. But hey, 2 months ago we didn't think we would get the cranes till the end of the year and look, a big surprise. With all these surprises and hype over Harbor Heights getting cranes already, maybe by the time construction starts on Granby Tower in January, we'll have tower cranes over on Main St. for Hilton..... oh I'm sorry guys, I just woke up.

It's even more visible from the freeway than traders cranes.

I don't think any of us realize the visual impact this building will have on the skyline when it's completed. If we're this giddy over a crane just think how we'll be with the finished product. With it being roughly 10 stories shorter than the Dom. Tower and having about 60,000 more sq. ft., it's sure to make a statement.

I don't think any of us realize the visual impact this building will have on the skyline when it's completed. If we're this giddy over a crane just think how we'll be with the finished product. With it being roughly 10 stories shorter than the Dom. Tower and having about 60,000 more sq. ft., it's sure to make a statement.

Its presence will be felt in the skyline! :yahoo:

I think what it is is I just underestimated how strategic it's location would be. I always thought of it as just the "filler" project but now that I see this all coming together this thing can really hold its own against Trader. And to think the Hilton will have cranes up at the same time all this is going on. 6 cranes all encompassed in a 2 block radius is just insane.

I just had a thought. I wouldn't expect HH to have half of the piles driven the trader did. Trader is 21 stories stacked on top of each other. However, HH is only 16 floors. It is also U shaped therefore not all of the loads stack on top. The only part of the building that isn't U-shaped is the first floor thru parking which is only a few floors anyway. This is why we are seeing cranes going up. They probably don't have to drive half as many piles as trader. There are probably only in the range of 400 piles or so. Couldn't say for sure, but nowhere near 850.

Archived