Greenville Highrise Index

goodbye

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nichols Architects’ homepage declares that the firm’s members “build legacy,” and have been doing so since 1967. Today, the Miami, Florida-based agency brings the same idea to Greenville, where it has worked on one project (a luxury hotel and residential tower in the West End), and is at various stages on three others.

A pair of Nichols’ principals, Andrew James and Igor Reyes, are spending time in Greenville in support of those projects. Both said Greenville is a hot market for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is its “vibe.”

More: https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/square-feet/all-eyes-on-greenville-architects-behind-high-profile-projects-discuss-the-citys-attraction/

Notice their work consists of almost only high rises: https://www.nicholsarch.com/projects

Edited by gman430

14 minutes ago, gman430 said:

The Nichols Architects’ homepage declares that the firm’s members “build legacy,” and have been doing so since 1967. Today, the Miami, Florida-based agency brings the same idea to Greenville, where it has worked on one project (a luxury hotel and residential tower in the West End), and is at various stages on three others.

A pair of Nichols’ principals, Andrew James and Igor Reyes, are spending time in Greenville in support of those projects. Both said Greenville is a hot market for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is its “vibe.”

More: https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/square-feet/all-eyes-on-greenville-architects-behind-high-profile-projects-discuss-the-citys-attraction/

Notice their works consists of almost only high rises: https://www.nicholsarch.com/projects

Probably looking to diversify their portfolio with low rises? Jk. Good to have some outside designers doing work in town. 

9 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Probably looking to diversify their portfolio with low rises? Jk. Good to have some outside designers doing work in town. 

Gosh, I hope not. Lol. Either way, it is nice seeing Miami developers and architects starting to really become interested in the Greenville market. The Union Bleachery and Gateway site developers are also from Miami. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

So they're behind the Kimpton; funny, the article refers to that as "a tower." LOL. I am curious as to what the other three projects would be. I think it's interesting the article quotes them as being sensitive to architectural style, but looking at their portfolio, their architecture seems to have little imagination to me; just more boxy modern stuff. Glad to hear Greenville has some good stuff going on, I just hope the architecture is high quality.

Their page says the Kimpton is under construction; has it started?

Edited by distortedlogic

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

Start comparing Greenville to a big city dude.

But in a GOOD way. That major project in CLT got canceled.  That very prime site in Uptown Charlotte has been vacant and under utilized for decades.

The fact that County Square is happening when this CLT project isn't is a testimony to the effectiveness of our local leadership, specifically Butch Kirven and Knox White.

• 1 month later...

Watched a lengthy segment today on CNBC about the state of commercial real estate, which is worsening. Hotel delinquency rates are at a 2 year high. Owners of apartment buildings are struggling to meet high interest rate payments as the tenants struggle too. We are probably better off in Greenville than much of the nation, but I look for very few large projects to start for the next couple of years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2023 at 1:50 PM, gman said:

Watched a lengthy segment today on CNBC about the state of commercial real estate, which is worsening. Hotel delinquency rates are at a 2 year high. Owners of apartment buildings are struggling to meet high interest rate payments as the tenants struggle too. We are probably better off in Greenville than much of the nation, but I look for very few large projects to start for the next couple of years. 

Tell that to the $425 million project in downtown Spartanburg that has construction fencing going up right now and has an official groundbreaking early next month. 

5 hours ago, gman430 said:

Tell that to the $425 million project in downtown Spartanburg that has construction fencing going up right now and has an official groundbreaking early next month. 

If only Greenville could be more like Spartanburg...

12 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

It is incentivized, unlike most Greenville projects.  

I’ve always wondered why Greenville doesn’t incentivize some of their projects like Spartanburg and Columbia are doing to help get them off the ground especially with the high interest rates. I guess technically the conference center project is incentivized even though it seems to be stalled too. Odd.

Edited by gman430

8 hours ago, gman430 said:

I’ve always wondered why Greenville doesn’t incentivize some of their projects like Spartanburg and Columbia are doing to help get them off the ground especially with the high interest rates. I guess technically the conference center project is incentivized even though it seems to be stalled too. Odd.

Greenville doesn't NEED to incentivize projects. It hasn't for years now. That is a good thing and a position some cities are hoping to get to but haven't yet. The conference center isn't stalled it is still in the design phase. Decisions about the basic elements are still in flux. It is important to get it right because there is only one chance to do so.   

11 hours ago, gman430 said:

They don't need to. They are building more than both those cities. Way more construction going on in Greenville than in Spartanburg. Different tiers.

Edited by motonenterprises

Don’t expect any major projects downtown to start construction for at least another two years. This is due to interest rates, inflation, the jobs report this morning and 10 year treasury yields coming in at a 16 year high:  https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/10/06/us-treasury-yields-investors-look-to-september-jobs-report.html

The only way the projects will start construction before then is if the city intervenes like they have done with the stalled affordable housing projects next to Unity Park. 

Edited by gman430

• 4 weeks later...

We need more hotels downtown: 

https://gsabusiness.com/news/hospitality-and-tourism/84201/

From July 2022 through June 2023, approximately seven million people visited Greenville, spending $1.5 billion in hotels, restaurants, shops, and other local businesses — a record high.

Hotel room demand through August in Greenville County was 2.7 million rooms booked, which is a 3.9% increase from where the county was this time last year. 

While there are quite a few markets that are still recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic, said Dillard, Greenville has not only fully recovered but the economic impact has surpassed post-pandemic expectations by 29% — meaning more hotel rooms booked, restaurants, attractions, other types of shows and concerts, more amenities.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

While everything is stalled in Greenville due to inflation and high interest rates, let’s see how those factors are affecting Charlotte: 

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/130736-g-man430’s-“stop-hogging-it-all”-drone-update/

Maybe someday Greenville will get some real developers like RocaPoint who actually know what they’re doing. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 9:40 AM, gman430 said:

While everything is stalled in Greenville due to inflation and high interest rates, let’s see how those factors are affecting Charlotte: 

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/130736-g-man430’s-“stop-hogging-it-all”-drone-update/

Maybe someday Greenville will get some real developers like RocaPoint who actually know what they’re doing. 

No one forcing you to live here.