Greenville Highrise Index

goodbye

24 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

That crossed my mind, but I think they would have been more specific in their generic description to say "Unity Park" rather than downtown. Does DRB have jurisdiction over Unity Park? 

I don't think the Neighborhood panel would have jurisdiction, but it isn't on their agenda anyway.  The Urban panel is reviewing it, and they deal only with the CBD.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anticipation running high with anyone else? I'm not sure if I'm more anxious to find out the site to be developed, or the specifics of what is being proposed... Ultimately, I'm less caught up in the height and more interested in who the developer is (out-of-town vs. local), how it will shape downtown, and what exactly this "pavilion" component is... 

4 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Is anticipation running high with anyone else? I'm not sure if I'm more anxious to find out the site to be developed, or the specifics of what is being proposed... Ultimately, I'm less caught up in the height and more interested in who the developer is (out-of-town vs. local), how it will shape downtown, and what exactly this "pavilion" component is... 

Definitely looking forward to learning all of that. I just hope it isn't a let-down in some way.

My guess is it is either 1) the Gateway site project that Mayor White spoke of 2) the project that was rendered awhile back behind Phil Hughes'  building (Raymond James) on River Street  3) The Conference Center  But it might be something  altogether different than those. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Definitely looking forward to learning all of that. I just hope it isn't a let-down in some way.

My guess is it is either 1) the Gateway site project that Mayor White spoke of 2) the project that was rendered awhile back behind Phil Hughes'  building (Raymond James) on River Street  3) The Conference Center  But it might be something  altogether different than those. 

My guess is the parking lot next to the Carolina Ale House that sold several months ago. That’s just a guess though. Wish @ausrutherfordwould chime in.

And yes I fully expect to be let down. :lol: I’m honestly not expecting anything more than ten stories tall but I guess that might be a good thing.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

Grace Church is the owner now and will partner with a yet to be named developer on this project. 

First three levels are commercial and office (Grace Church will be the tenant plus also a coffee shop).  Floors 4-11 will be condominiums. Rooftop amenity level. 

Materials are precast concrete and glass and metal panels.  Contemporary architecture with colors and materials that will complement the historic church.  There was a mention of a Vegetated wall. 

The board had some suggestions but seemed to like the design a lot. 

The grassy area at Richardson and McBee will be involved in this project but I didn't really understand that too well. I suppose this is the 'pavilion' aspect.   We could only hear what was said, the elevation drawings were not shown in the virtual meeting.   

7 hours ago, GVLover said:

Okay, I’m trying my best to understand the proposed location of this and can’t understand. It’s not Grace Church itself, right?

https://www.scpictureproject.org/greenville-county/grace-church-downtown.html/amp

It is the parking lot on the left side of the building as you face the church building. The 'Pavilion' is on the grassy area on the right side of the church building. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

It is the parking lot on the left side of the building as you face the church building. The 'Pavilion' is on the grassy area on the right side of the church building. 

That doesn't seem big enough to put a "tower" on.  Interested to see the proposed design. 

27 minutes ago, GMoxley said:

That doesn't seem big enough to put a "tower" on.  Interested to see the proposed design. 

Seems big enough to me. Remember the Pinnacle on Main? Even though it’s only 11 stories tall, the building should look fairly high being on that hill and on that small of a site. 

Edited by gman430

Some quotes from Post and Courier article" 

The first three floors would consist of office and commercial space, with a coffee shop at street level. The fourth floor and up would be condominiums, with outdoor amenities on the roof. 

The proposed tower design has elements such as a white patina on the section facing the old building that is meant to honor the original church’s architecture, Ureta said.

I like the tower but the 'Pavilion' design could use some improvement. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, johnpro318 said:

I would assume they will redevelop the rest of their lot behind the chapel once the offices are moved into the new building. 

The building/parking lot behind the church was sold years ago and converted to condominiums back in the late '90's or very early 2000's. It was the first residential project done DT that was more than a handful or dozen units.  That was before Grace owned it. It was Downtown Baptist back then, which consisted of members of First Baptist that stayed in that building rather than move to the then new campus on Cleveland Street.

Here is a link to the P&C article. For those that don't subscribe, seriously consider doing so if you want current news about Greenville. It's well worth $13.99  a month, which also gives you access to the digital version of all of the P&C family editions. 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/greenvilles-new-skyline-grace-church-plans-11-story-tower-at-historic-downtown-building/article_792379ee-b6bf-11ec-80d6-0f4097a309d6.html

Edited by gman
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Projects that could be or still will be under construction by next August: 

United Community Bank (tower crane)

Broadview (tower crane)

Kimpton hotel (tower crane)

Gateway site (tower crane. Two of them?)

Delano (tower crane)

The Avant (tower crane)

Grace church project (tower crane)

County Square (tower crane if high rise is built)

Main at Markley (maybe a tower crane) 

Agfa apartments (maybe a tower crane) 

Gibbs at Westfield project (no tower crane) 

Unity Park affordable housing (no tower crane) 

Rhett Street project (tower crane. Two of them?) 

Downtown Convention Center (tower crane) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2