Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I think they own at least one of those parking lots at the corner of JRP and Charlotte (possibly another on the other side of that church).  If so, then it's really a lack of foresight if they don't claim that site for a complex for TSU, with structured parking. It'd be perfect for a building under 80' and there's enough area to put in state of art technology for training the next generation of Amazon, Oracle, etc. employees. From that location, they could also put in pedestrian bridge(s), possibly enclosed, across Charlotte to the Williams campus. Seems there should be a lot of money pumped into that location as so many more people now are going "back to school". They might even look into a joint IT (Systems Management, Digital Communications, etc.) program with TTU, another Regents school.  Among the top 15 states in population, Tennessee ranks pretty weakly in that category.  The state should look at what Belmont is doing with their new 3D school and set up a program for TN residents who can't afford the Belmont tuition. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Views to and from the capital are pretty common in capital cities. Providence, RI is another city I know for a fact has similar guidelines.

These are the parcels that are regulated by the global elevation guideline in relation to the state house. 

image.png.d9aed2a5de353bfcbe280d38616baa1a.png

The 80' that is specifically mentioned is not a universal figure across the entire subdistrict. It is all relative to height above sea level. So basically the lower the elevation your site is, the taller your building can be. Here is a look at the topography in the area. Each line on the map represents 2 vertical feet of grade.

Guess my dream of seeing a couple new towers in that area east and northeast of UBS was always a pipedream at best then.  Oh well, keep the party going in ALL other sections of downtown!

• Like 1

The TN capital building is indeed awesome.  Unlike those in Raleigh and Columbus. 

The OH capital has a nice base but lame height.  Thumbs down.

image.thumb.png.bac09588334a13c4f3364008961ed1d0.png

The NC is has an even smaller base and even less height. It's not on a hill and is not impactful on the city.  A real yawner.

image.thumb.png.fa30761036a7da6b615ec0fedc2fee78.png

Whereas the TN capital is classic and properly dominates, being tall and on an elevation.  A big plus for Nashville.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Let's not forget about the FL statehouse... And the maximum security prison that sits behind it lol. And why would they put those ugly awnings on the capital windows. My guess to help with blocking the sun and keeping the building cooler. 

Seriously, when I first saw the building, I was wondering why would they put a prison that huge in the middle of downtown Tallahassee. 

FYI... The tall building behind the capital is not a prison, but a state office building. 

image.thumb.png.9a9c76dbada34373264eb4d5ea39cf9d.png

Edited by nashmoney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, markhollin said:

The tiny .09 acre triangular hillside lot at 630  Division St.  is being considered for a structure that would feature 3 residences and a 70 person capacity bar overlooking the CSX tracks to the NE.  No word on how tall it will be, but based on the size of the lot, the best guess is that it will be around 3-4 stories. No renderings yet.

These 3 residences will be:

1. On top of a bar

2. Next to some rail road tracks

3. Practically under a bridge

I'm a big fan of mixed used development but maybe this one shouldn't have a residential component.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, markhollin said:

The tiny .09 acre triangular hillside lot at 630  Division St.  is being considered for a structure that would feature 3 residences and a 70 person capacity bar overlooking the CSX tracks to the NE.  No word on how tall it will be, but based on the size of the lot, the best guess is that it will be around 3-4 stories. No renderings yet.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/pie-town-site-eyed-for-mixed-use-building/article_2f03deb0-1765-11ed-92a7-9b3452542f79.html

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in tan at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 8.00.47 AM.png

If I had to take a guess at this one. I would say it would be 4 stories above Division Street as well as 1 below Division. 

The residences would be on levels 2-4 and the bar would be on street level and below grade. 

• Like 1

Nice!! Would be great to see more of buildings like this filling up those parking lots… like the one in front of the symphony center… with a nice courtyard that frames the schermerhorn. I really got an appreciation for inner plazas that connected via pedestrian streets when I visited Budapest a few years ago. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, markhollin said:

107 4th Ave. North will be the location of a new 6 story stone & brick bar/gift shop/live music venue featuring a roof top deck by TC Restaurant Group. They paid $10.2 million for the  tiny surface lot directly north of Dierks Bentley's Whiskey Row in May. The owners state that 250 jobs will be created with this attraction. Barnett Design will handle the architecture; Ragan Smith Assoc. will oversee engineering.

TCRG also owns downtown’s Jason Aldean's Kitchen + Rooftop Bar, Luke’s 32 Bridge, Tequila Cowboy, Luigi’s City Pizza, Sun Diner, Miranda Lambert’s Casa Rosa, FGL House and Wanna B’s. 

TCRG will go before the Metro Historic Zoning Commission on Aug. 17 to request approval for the design.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/building-with-bars-live-music-planned-for-downtown/article_2f63ed28-18e1-11ed-9c76-930b1602bb4e.html

107 4th Ave. North, Aug 11, 2022, render 1.png

107 4th Ave. North, Aug 11, 2022, render 2.png

107 4th Ave. North, Aug 11, 2022, site map.png

What great infill! That parking lot always smells awful, will be glad to have a building there instead. 

• Like 3