Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

28 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

Why bother saving this?  This is a piece of junk of no architectural significance of beauty and dubious historic value IMO.  This would have been better suited  as part of an urban park all the way down the hill to the riverbanks.  Really, do we need more housing on Rolling Mill Hill?

9d9b5c1f3c056014b671f16a191230fe.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, markhollin said:

C3 Bank out of California will open its first Nashville office in Nashville in the former King Baby Jewelry Building  at 615 9th Ave. South.  They  paid $7.1 million for it along with the adjoining 611 9th Ave. South  (another 1 story structure home to Chef & I (which will be relocating). The bank will renovate and make an addition to the current structure which will eventually be a 6,140 sq. ft. space on a single floor, employing 5-10 people.  Pfeffer Torode will be the architect with Urban Cowboy doing interior design.  

“It is intended to be a business hub where local deal making, transaction and general business is conducted among the Nashville community,” said. A.J. Moyer, C3 Bank president and CEO. 

With the way this neighborhood is percolating, it appears they paid way too much for this 1/3 acre site and just to convert a small structure into a bank branch.  Perhaps they have something more substantial in mind for the long term.

Maybe just their founder moved to Tennessee and wants somewhere cool to work out of

"Michael Persall is a Founder and Chairman of ABP Capital, C3 Capital, and affiliate companies. Michael is also Chairman of the Board of Directors for C3bank. In addition, he is President of the 482-home Master Plan Development, Hideaway at Arrington, located south of Nashville, Tennessee in Williamson County"

1 hour ago, bwithers1 said:

“Architectural value” is probably best arbitrated by architects, and Metro commissioners who are architects have argued for saving the building for its architectural value.

Dr. Learotha Williams provided information about the historic significance of the structure during last Friday’s joint Metro Council committee meeting about this structure. That information is available in the video along with the presentation from Metro Parks about how this site can relate to and enhance Wharf Park and future greenway connections. The discussion about Wharf Park’s riverfront access is described in good detail in the committee meeting video footage.

We do need housing downtown along corridors to support bus service and this is a key location to do that. If Metro did not buy this property, private developers would likely have bought the property, demolished the historic structure and put housing there. As things stand, now that Metro owns it we can work with MDHA, who has an adjacent parcel, to better program the entire site for better designed affordable housing, a better designed Wharf Park entrance, and can explore future uses of the building, which is not in as bad of shape as I had feared. I have attached some of my photos from the Metro Council tour last Friday.

8E4CCC41-BBA8-48DC-9763-E102B5E236B4.jpeg

Well put, but I still contend that there is too much museumism in architectural preservation where the restoration and reuse is prohibitably costly  and the architecture is of debatable significance that perhaps could be remembered as well by a in a marker.  For instance, the cornerstone shown tells NOTHING about the fine teachers and couragous blind students who used the facility,  but rather aggrandizes in purpetuity, the narcissism of bureaucrats  who sponsored it.   We now have technology to completely preserve the record  on site of the facility digitally and present a far better record of why the site had significance to our city.  You acknowlege this in the video you cite.    IMO, perhaps we should apply marie Kondo's premise to buildings such as this.  "Does it bring you joy?"  Certainly there are many, many buildings in Nashville that do bring joy...the Parthenon, the Custom House, the Ryman...MANY others, but to me this one isnondescrept, sad and neglected.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 3

Some of this I suggest is more about saving history than architectural preservation. I would think we should get that here more than anywhere. It's not just about saving an old building for the sole purpose that the building is old, but the history that may have taken place there. These are two different things. Studio A & B are not that old, but history took place there, just as in the case of this building. It is important to some groups here and we need to make sure those concerns are looked at.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Since most of these projects are within the inner loop here are 7 projects CPE Magazine says we change Nashville.

https://www.commercialsearch.com/news/top-projects-that-will-reshape-nashville/

Sigh....according to this article...

Neuhoff - S9 Architecture

Nashville Yards - Gresham Smith

Ritz Carlton - SOM

Riverside - SOM

River North - Hastings

Paseo South Gulch - WHO KNOWS, but GoodVets is going in and Clark is building it!

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, AUNash said:

I agree with this too. The honky tonks and associated business helped build the tourist industry we now have, and that contributes tremendously to the economy.

But I would add that I work in the Truist (formerly SunTrust) building. The positives are that I love the vitality that the tourism sector brings. I love the energy of all the people on the streets. I love the amenities that their presence generates, like the 5&B Food Hall. But the noise is a problem during the business day sometimes. It is difficult to get in and out of the parking garage sometimes to run a simple errand, like get to a parent teacher meeting at school. And the sidewalks and streets just smell bad lots of the time. Many colleagues in the building want our office to move a few blocks out of the central district at the next renewal time. I hope we don’t, because I like the crowds and energy.

I think there are some things the the city should do to improve the area and help ensure a sustainable work/play/live ecosystem, so that it doesn’t devolve into ONLY play —

(1) Invest in regular/continuous pressure washing of the sidewalks and streets. They stink from the odor of vomit, beer, and garbage. Regular washing could go a long, long way to making the experience of walking the sidewalks better.

(2) More frequent garbage collection/clean up.

(3) Increased visible police presence throughout the honky took district. Nothing heavy handed, just visible and continuous. Have an officer in a yellow vest standing at the corner. Have them walking the beat regularly. More of those downtown Ambassadors on patrol.

(4) Enforce reasonable noise restrictions prior to 6pm. Make it feasible for businesses to remain in the buildings along that core. (Not to mention the kids in school at Hume Fogg.)

Those all seem very reasonable…and actually an investment that would pay off greatly.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, AUNash said:

(1) Invest in regular/continuous pressure washing of the sidewalks and streets. They stink from the odor of vomit, beer, and garbage. Regular washing could go a long, long way to making the experience of walking the sidewalks better.

(2) More frequent garbage collection/clean up.

(3) Increased visible police presence throughout the honky took district. Nothing heavy handed, just visible and continuous. Have an officer in a yellow vest standing at the corner. Have them walking the beat regularly. More of those downtown Ambassadors on patrol.

You have greatly summed this up.  I live in The Gulch and love the vibrancy and fun of the tourists in our neighborhood.

Items 1-3 could be addressed by adding a Business Improvement District to Lower Broadway.  The Gulch Business Improvement District pays for a daily cleaning crew, extra trash pickups several times a week, and 'ambassadors' that walk and segway around to address the homeless and add security to the streets late at night.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, CandyAisles said:

Riverside - SOM

I still strongly have my doubts about this one as the developer in this case is not a developer in this case. As far as I know the Ewing's have not developed anything but their own ego. Please find a project they have done?

A person can call himself a developer all day long but is not one until he actually pulls a project off IMO. I still think this is a pie in the sky. SOM has done nothing but a conceptual design so far.

• Like 1

Sad news: Dandgure's Cafeteria, a 31-year-old Meat & Three at 538 Lafayette, will be closing permanently on June 30th.  ATP Investments owns the land & 1 story structure  (purchased in 2018 for $2 million) now has the trapezoidal-shaped property up for sale at and undisclosed asking price.

More behind the NashvillePost paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/dandgure-s-cafeteria-to-close-on-june-30/article_88ec7936-c52d-5c5a-8406-d4134929f490.html

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 11.48.42 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2