Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, Baronakim said:

The Victorian era is long past and the neighborhood on Lindsey has deteriorated architecturally into a hodgepodge.  IMO the only structure worth preserving is the church at Second Avenue, the exterior of which has been beautifully restored recently.   Most of the remaining area on the crest of Rutledge Hill is a treasure to be respected and preserved, but dissociated small buildings like this one are not particularly good candidates for enshrinement. 

Setting aside the silliness of "The Victorian era is long past" part of your argument, are you saying that historic and architecturally attractive structures aren't worth preserving if they don't come in extant neighborhoods, or at least multiples?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nashville Cliff said:

Setting aside the silliness of "The Victorian era is long past" part of your argument, are you saying that historic and architecturally attractive structures aren't worth preserving if they don't come in extant neighborhoods, or at least multiples?

Yes in this case.  The building in question is neither historic nor particularly attractive.  All  of the homes on the street  it fronts  upon were removed decades ago.  It is a pathetic remnant of a once attractive and viable neighborhood.  I believe that my statement included the phrase " structure out of the context of the original neighborhood character of little historical value" still is valid.   Of course,  buildings with significant history or reasonable  architectural note should be preserved but NOT every one... as a museum piece.  There must be an adaptation of use relevant to the times.   There reaches a point in many such cases that restoration  or even repair of structures such as this one become onerous to its ownership.  This is particularly true when the ratio of land value to the value of the usable occupancy becomes disproportionate.  I can think of no likely use for this structure in a restored condition that would come close to the value of the proposed apartments...even though they are fairly bland.  Certainly Edgefield, Lockwood Springs and the many other historic neighborhoods are examples of successful preservation achievements.  And your statement about "silliness" is naive.  Victorian design elements are of an age where craftsmanship and labor were cheap, and I might say unfairly so, when addressing the pay of construction workers back then.  The era is not too far removed from the Antebellum where slave labor was used.   You  must have missed my intent... that Victorian construction is not in the architectural mainstream of this century... and not much of the last either.  Before you squawk,  see if you can view  or read "the Fountainhead" by Ann Rand or perhaps watch "Batteries Not Included"  to see examples of how silly inappropriate preservation  or superfluous detailing could be.   If you insist on prolonging your criticism of my architectural opinion,  I am sure you will have high praise for some of the ghastly housing projects in this forum which cut and paste  Victorian elements willy-nilly.  No offense, but you have your opinion and I have mine.  I am uninterested in flame war.

• Like 1

I have always just really like the front of that building. Just thought it would be cool if that could have been incorporated into the new building some way. It's nice infill. It could be even nicer if it wasn't the, in style architecture of the day and had an older feel to it. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

The airport is in Donelson. Try to keep the economic engine running without that, eh?

Typically, they put airports where there isn't crap else. And they never would have built an airport if it weren't for NASHVILLE, ya'll! Sorry, that response even annoyed me

6 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I mean, obviously she is heavy on the jokes, but are you saying you don't think she ever posts a serious opinion?  I find that hard to believe.  

I think she does, which is why I responded seriously to her comments re: the placement of NMAAM but I was also cautious to point out that she troll-y by nature. Possibly cliché, but sort of like the boy who cried wolf 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Yes in this case.  The building in question is neither historic nor particularly attractive.  All  of the homes on the street  it fronts  upon were removed decades ago.  It is a pathetic remnant of a once attractive and viable neighborhood.  I believe that my statement included the phrase " structure out of the context of the original neighborhood character of little historical value" still is valid.   Of course,  buildings with significant history or reasonable  architectural note should be preserved but NOT every one... as a museum piece.  There must be an adaptation of use relevant to the times.   There reaches a point in many such cases that restoration  or even repair of structures such as this one become onerous to its ownership.  This is particularly true when the ratio of land value to the value of the usable occupancy becomes disproportionate.  I can think of no likely use for this structure in a restored condition that would come close to the value of the proposed apartments...even though they are fairly bland.  Certainly Edgefield, Lockwood Springs and the many other historic neighborhoods are examples of successful preservation achievements.  And your statement about "silliness" is naive.  Victorian design elements are of an age where craftsmanship and labor were cheap, and I might say unfairly so, when addressing the pay of construction workers back then.  The era is not too far removed from the Antebellum where slave labor was used.   You  must have missed my intent... that Victorian construction is not in the architectural mainstream of this century... and not much of the last either.  Before you squawk,  see if you can view  or read "the Fountainhead" by Ann Rand or perhaps watch "Batteries Not Included"  to see examples of how silly inappropriate preservation  or superfluous detailing could be.   If you insist on prolonging your criticism of my architectural opinion,  I am sure you will have high praise for some of the ghastly housing projects in this forum which cut and paste  Victorian elements willy-nilly.  No offense, but you have your opinion and I have mine.  I am uninterested in flame war.

Not looking for a flame war. My "silliness" comment was about the patently . . . well, silly . . . apparent assertion that historic structures should be discounted because . . . wait for it . . . their era has long passed.  That's a big part of what makes them historic.  And I read the Fountainhead a long time ago, back when I was a naive teen; moved on since then. But, as you say, we are both entitled to our opinions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

Not looking for a flame war. My "silliness" comment was about the patently . . . well, silly . . . apparent assertion that historic structures should be discounted because . . . wait for it . . . their era has long passed.  That's a big part of what makes them historic.  And I read the Fountainhead a long time ago, back when I was a naive teen; moved on since then. But, as you say, we are both entitled to our opinions.

And, my surliness aside, I do actually appreciate your explaining your position.

• Like 3

On 9/15/2019 at 3:20 PM, FromParkAveToTN said:

ur tax dollars should stay in our own communities and not used for downtown projects. 

Downtown generates a huge amount of revenue for Metro. Most residential neighborhoods fail to cover the cost of services provided.

On 9/16/2019 at 5:04 PM, AronG said:

hundreds of thousands of high-end jobs

About 75,000 not hundreds of thousands.

• Like 1

Concerning the Muse proposal,  I really don't see very much parking even for the apartments, much less any  street level retail.  Have I missed a ramp down to a lower parking level underground?  I also don't think much of the layout of the one plan shown...fairly poor design.  For instance the door to the elevator core should not have the required door pull area squarely in a traffic lane and the parking spaces would be hell to get vehicles in and out...much too tight to squeeze in parking spaces.  Getting from parking into the retail spaces looks to suck too.

Edited by Baronakim
spelling

12 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I'm guessing it's way down there past that last store based on this.

Screen_Shot_2019_09_16_at_4.22.31_PM.5d8005d564270.jpg

Codes will never allow a vehicular exit or entrance into an intersection...especially one as angled as this one..  Looking more closely at the parking spaces at that end, It would be almost impossible for the cars to get out except by backing all the way to the other end.  Who is the architect on this proposal or is there even one yet?  The layout looks very amateurish like maybe done by a marketing department of the developer?  This must be very preliminary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baronakim said:

Concerning the Muse proposal,  I really don't see very much parking even for the apartments, much less any  street level retail.  Have I missed a ramp down to a lower parking level underground?  I also don't think much of the layout of the one plan shown...fairly poor design.  For instance the door to the elevator core should not have the required door pull area squarely in a traffic lane and the parking spaces would be hell to get vehicles in and out...much too tight to squeeze in parking spaces.  Getting from parking into the retail spaces looks to suck too.

Honest question, do most Nashvilians have the expectation that every single apartment/condo building have it's own parking garage?

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Honest question, do most Nashvilians have the expectation that every single apartment/condo building have it's own parking garage?

No, I don't think they expect a garage per se.   Certainly surface parking would be adequate, but when land is as expensive as this, garage parking is probably more cost effective. What I question is that there seem to be fewer parking spaces than apartments and the retail potentially reduces even this number.  I mistook Paul's comment concerning the parking entrance location.  I thought that he possibly indicated an entrance to a lower deck on the intersection side of the parcel.  Obviously it does not, as he arrows the one obvious entrance in the plan.  Again obviously then there are no internal ramps, so no additional parking is indicated.  What bothers me as an architect is ... how does this work with so little parking, fewer than the apartments.? Where is the retail parking?   It was mentioned that some apartments will be rented as short term rentals, so where do those guests park?  Or have Metro requirements changed somewhat that I am unaware?

Edited by Baronakim
context