Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

15 hours ago, LA_TN said:

^^ The Music City Central (bus terminal) was originally designed to have apartments above, something like 7 stories or so

Oh, man, I remember that. I was really sweating those apartments, the convenience of living right over the terminal would have been so very nice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DJBF1763 said:

DC actually is in the middle of capping a small portion of I-395 downtown with buildings and connecting some street network. The project is taking a considerable amount of time though, and I believe was quite costly. However, I know a large portion of this project has been paid for by the private company who wanted to build on top of the interstate. So there are definitely developers out there who would be interested. 

http://www.capitolcrossingdc.com

http://3rdsttunnel.com 

What "extra" do you have to do to build a skyscraper over an interstate?

“A large 2.05 acre parcel that combines 35 Hermitage Ave. and 34 Rutledge St. (just to the south of the soon-to-be-opened City Lights condo project) is for sale at an undisclosed asking price.  This has been home to Scott Sales  since 1977, and features a nondescript 1 story warehouse.  It is zoned for up to 7 stories, and would most likely be attractive to a residential mixed-use developer, similar to City Lights.”

This is the same family that just sold the Cotten Eyed Joe on Broadway at 2nd Avenue. Good for them! Should provide for a good retirement-or a grand start on something new.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Is there a large city in America that is a great role model for limiting crime?

Seriously.  Nashville has always had issues with crime.  It's been ranked among the most dangerous cities for as long as I can remember.  Yet some people live in a fool's paradise or with their heads in the sand until something bad happens to someone they know personally, then all of a sudden Nashville is dangerous.  Big cities are dangerous.  The way some cities count crime can affect how they're perceived.  But big cities are dangerous.  Always have been, always will be.  I'd love for someone to quote a prospectus trying to lure a business to Nashville by saying it's a "safe" city.  Nashville is one of my all-time favorite cities for a variety of reasons, but "low crime" has never been one of Nashville's selling points.  I'm not trying to be dismissive of crime; all crime is despicable.  But knee-jerk reactions made in anger aren't healthy, either.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 1

People are right to point out that Nashville is far from alone in being an American city that struggles with it's crime rate.  But the notion that big cities are just inherently dangerous is false.  Many big cities around the world are incredibly safe, and even in the one's that aren't, there are usually vast swaths of the city that are.  It is a complex issue with a number of factors, obviously, and this is probably not the appropriate thread to get into an in depth discussion on the matter. 

However, I do think it's fairly apparent that a lot of crime is done out of a sense of desperation, whether financial or otherwise.  Now, I'm not saying that everyone committing armed robbery is just trying to pay for a new kidney either.  Some people are just A-holes.  But it is a significant driver, and hopefully without sparking a big debate, what I will say is that I think there's a fairly obvious correlation between personal wealth and one's likelihood to resort to crime.  Crime rates in cities around the globe are generally smaller in areas with not only more wealth, but better distribution of wealth (and no, I'm not advocating for the C word lol) and even smaller still in places where there is a strong social safety net to ensure that people in any wealth bracket don't find themselves in dire financial straits to begin with.  In other words, when peoples' financial worries become lessened, then the need to turn to crime to find a quick remedy to those worries also becomes lessened.  Now, of course, not even that is a hard and fast rule because some of the safest countries on earth are also some of the poorest.  But I think it is a big factor, as is having strong built communities where every segment of a population is integrated rather than physically isolating and leaving out some.  In any case, there is far more that could be said on the subject, of course, but I'll leave it there for now.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, OnePointEast said:

What part of Nashville would be considered the most dangerous? North Nashville (Madison area, Hermitage) or Antioch (Haywood Lane, Harding Place, and Bell Road)?

If this site's data are solid, and looking just at the kinds of crimes people typically worry about when they're out in public (assault, homicide, sex crimes and robbery), Downtown wins in terms of criminal density. Antioch might win in terms of total crimes because it's a big area:

https://www.crimemapping.com/map/tn/nashville

The areas around Cayce, Napier and parts of North Nashville are hotspots too.

Edited by billgregg55
  • Thanks 2

WHen we were freshmen at Vandy, our class orientation leaders told us that the area surrounding the university was the second highest crime area of the city. I never felt unsafe around there, but must admit I stayed in groups when I went out at night. Never strayed too far from campus. Some areas of 21st got pretty dark at night as the street lights were older and a lot dimmer than West End. 

37 minutes ago, markhollin said:

A bit more information on the city's plan to sell the Rolling Mill Hill-based District Energy System (90 Peabody St.--just on the other side of KVB from Ascend Amphitheater) to ENGIE North America for $60 million.  The facility produces steam and chilled water to heat and cool various downtown buildings. The Metro Council and DES customers — which include the State of Tennessee — will need to approve the sale.

Andre Cangucu, chief development officer for ENGIE North America says, "Once we complete the contractual process and if we are approved by Council, we have a plan to invest nearly $250 million dollars to upgrade and grow the system, with two key objectives of creating cost-savings for customers and expanding capacity to meet the needs of downtown Nashville’s exponential growth.”

ENGIE owns or manages more than 350 similar systems worldwide.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21066096/metro-looks-to-sell-energy-system-site

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.43.19 AM.png

no chance they would sell and relocate from such a prime piece of land?

Just now, nashvylle said:

no chance they would sell and relocate from such a prime piece of land?

I was thinking the same thing but with all the pipes and other infrastructure that would need to be moved it would seem cost prohibitive. 

I don't see why that couldn't be built on top of though, I'm sure that happens in other city like NYC that use that kind of heating/cooling.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

People are right to point out that Nashville is far from alone in being an American city that struggles with it's crime rate.  But the notion that big cities are just inherently dangerous is false.  Many big cities around the world are incredibly safe, and even in the one's that aren't, there are usually vast swaths of the city that are.  It is a complex issue with a number of factors, obviously, and this is probably not the appropriate thread to get into an in depth discussion on the matter. 

However, I do think it's fairly apparent that a lot of crime is done out of a sense of desperation, whether financial or otherwise.  Now, I'm not saying that everyone committing armed robbery is just trying to pay for a new kidney either.  Some people are just A-holes.  But it is a significant driver, and hopefully without sparking a big debate, what I will say is that I think there's a fairly obvious correlation between personal wealth and one's likelihood to resort to crime.  Crime rates in cities around the globe are generally smaller in areas with not only more wealth, but better distribution of wealth (and no, I'm not advocating for the C word lol) and even smaller still in places where there is a strong social safety net to ensure that people in any wealth bracket don't find themselves in dire financial straits to begin with.  In other words, when peoples' financial worries become lessened, then the need to turn to crime to find a quick remedy to those worries also becomes lessened.  Now, of course, not even that is a hard and fast rule because some of the safest countries on earth are also some of the poorest.  But I think it is a big factor, as is having strong built communities where every segment of a population is integrated rather than physically isolating and leaving out some.  In any case, there is far more that could be said on the subject, of course, but I'll leave it there for now.

I agree, and it's a complex issue. But I am trying to figure out in this country, if there is a large city that has reasonably low amounts of crime. maybe Charlotte? Seattle (I know homelessness and drugs are a problem)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

I agree, and it's a complex issue. But I am trying to figure out in this country, if there is a large city that has reasonably low amounts of crime. maybe Charlotte? Seattle (I know homelessness and drugs are a problem)?

Good question.... I'd actually say New York has a pretty good thing going, especially considering it's size and past reputation.  

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 4:00 PM, MLBrumby said:

They could sell air rights to defray the costs, perhaps commercial development at both ends if there was ever a LRT line going down Charlotte and 12th that would make the proximity to those stations command a premium. The air rights could also be for the new park"land" but work in a different way (a'la a land preservation trust or foundation park). I'm also quite skeptical that this would ever be done, not as much for the great cost (that wouldn't help) but because there would be a taxpayer's revolt. If the backlash for LRT was as great as it was, then the idea of spending any money 'just to pretty up' a freeway is bound to run into backlash from people who don't see anything beneficial to them. I can anticipate what their argument might be: that the riverfront park cost 'a fraction of that and NOBODY USES IT!' I can hear them now. 

Lots of good examples you've shown. I think that stretch of interstate being adjacent to the coveted Gulch and Midtown sections would make this idea especially feasible in a few years. I realize it's a stretch to assume that TDOT could get out of its own way, but if they could see the feasibility, they should start planning for that now. It would take 10-15 years to be a reality. I remember when the Robinson Humphrey's Financial Center was planned above GA400, and it took years to plan... and (surprisingly) not a long time to build in comparison. Of course, the funding for GA400 was all from tolls. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Crime rates in cities around the globe are generally smaller in areas with not only more wealth, but better distribution of wealth (and no, I'm not advocating for the C word lol) and even smaller still in places where there is a strong social safety net to ensure that people in any wealth bracket don't find themselves in dire financial straits to begin with.  In other words, when peoples' financial worries become lessened, then the need to turn to crime to find a quick remedy to those worries also becomes lessened.  Now, of course, not even that is a hard and fast rule because some of the safest countries on earth are also some of the poorest.  But I think it is a big factor, as is having strong built communities where every segment of a population is integrated rather than physically isolating and leaving out some.  In any case, there is far more that could be said on the subject, of course, but I'll leave it there for now.

I would replace the word "wealth" with "education."  Still, while crime rates in cities in other parts of the world, particularly Scandinavian and Japanese cities, are much lower than they are in American cities, crime rates are higher in Scandinavian and Japanese cities than in Scandinavian and Japanese small towns.  I just don't understand why some people are shocked--SHOCKED--that a big city has a lot of crime.  Nashville is twice the size it was a few decades ago and has a heck of a lot more tourists, so yes there's going to be more crime.

Edited by jmtunafish

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think the way it has been presented to you is good, however I will say this; and that is crime can happen to anyone, anywhere, at anytime. There are crimes of opportunity and I think that has increased in Nashville vs just one area anymore. 

Many times the reason there is a crime is because the victim has let their guard down or become distracted by other things instead of being aware of their surroundings.

Several examples of this are the young lady that got murdered after assuming it was here Uber car. That one could have been prevented if she had taken common sense steps . Of course that was not in Nashville.

There were the two European tourist grazed by bullets and robbed by Clawson's Deli a few weeks ago. Mistake walking 4th Ave at three AM. Why do you do that?

This one is tragic and probably could not have been avoided other than taking a taxi to your destination, but the young man that was shot by the Omni several years ago and killed. The people were caught on camera and they were caught, but a perfect example of a crime of opportunity that can happen anywhere. The big mistake was when they were walking, around 3 AM.

I think any of us have a much better chance of not being victim's with a little common sense, but that does not always work. Just try not to become complacent with your surroundings even if its around your home because that is where people love to victimized you because that is where you feel the safest.

Just wanted to through my 2 cents in here saying that its not always the part of town but the situation.

Big cities are going to have crime, there is no real way around that unless you have an almost military precence on the street to police. You can't blame the European tourists for walking down 4th, how are they supposed to know that 4th can be a shady area? Maybe they are used to the same surroundings in their city, so they deemed it safe. Maybe they were low on funds and couldn't afford a taxi/uber or maybe they felt like walking. The real point that hits it on the head though is the people letting their guard down. So many people are glued to their phones when they are walking around that it is "easy" to spook them and get the drop on them. That is the common sense approach people (especially my generation and younger) are forgetting. The police can only be in so many places at once, so it comes down to individuals to protect themselves.

I will say from my experience of doing my undergrad in Boston, my school was surrounded my low-income "projects" and I had to walk through or around many of them to get to parties or certain locations in the city. I never had a single issue. Granted I am male walking at obscure times, so that plays a role (unfortunately women should still always walk in at least pairs in cities), but I always keep an eye on my surroundings, especially at the late night times. I actually remember overhearing a person behind say "the person in front of us thinks we are following them" because I was always looking around me. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

I will say from my experience of doing my undergrad in Boston, my school was surrounded my low-income "projects" and I had to walk through or around many of them to get to parties or certain locations in the city. I never had a single issue. Granted I am male walking at obscure times, so that plays a role (unfortunately women should still always walk in at least pairs in cities), but I always keep an eye on my surroundings, especially at the late night times. I actually remember overhearing a person behind say "the person in front of us thinks we are following them" because I was always looking around me. 

Boston might be the example of a large city that does well with crime. Perhaps that's due to the Mafia? lol just kidding.