Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

On ‎2019‎-‎05‎-‎12 at 1:01 AM, dragonfly said:

OK so I've driven under this several times. Appears like an actual bridge supports the edifice. Given that concrete bridges and overpasses last about 60 to 65 years, what does that mean for this structure?  I know that water damage, corrosion and fatigue from vibrations is much less than an actual traffic carrying bridge, but can anyone tell me how these factors into the future of this whole structure?

Many highway overpasses have a definite shelf life only because it becomes cheaper to replace the bridge than to rehabilitate it. The cost-benefit ratio changes a bit when it's the foundation of a building.

I'm not familiar with the Atlanta Financial Center but it's also possible the building is designed such that the load is supported to the sides of the roadway (meaning the bridge/tunnel is only supporting the first few floors).

The plans for Metro to purchase the Morris Memorial Building are starting to come into focus.  Documents show a committee is vetting a variety of options for the interior of the building, which is currently owned by the National Baptist Convention. appears the city wants to convert the 100-year-old building into an African American history museum covering areas not already covered in the Civil Rights Room at the Downtown Library nor the African aAmerican music Museum being built at 5th & Broadway. This would be primarily on the 2nd floor.  The first floor would feature a 3,500 sq. ft. restaurant and some office space.  The top three floors are still open for debate.  A current draft shows office space on the 3rd floor, and then affordable housing units on the 4th & 5th levels. 

Ashford Hughes, the mayor’s chief diversity, equity and inclusion officer, said in a phone interview Monday that the building was once the epicenter of black commerce in Nashville. That makes preserving it important to the mayor, regardless of costs, Hughes said. With a baseline budget in mind, the committee is focused on narrowing down funding options for the renovation before releasing its final recommendations to Briley early next month, Hughes said.

Cost would be $12.8 million for the building and lot, and approximately 12.2 million for the redevelopment of the spaces. 

PDF of some layout ideas here:

https://media.bizj.us/view/img/11313282/morris-building-draft-study.pdf

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/05/13/exclusive-documents-shed-new-light-on-metros-plans.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Morris Memorial Bldg, May 1,  2019, 1.png

Morris Memorial Bldg, May 1,  2019, 2.png

Morris Memorial Bldg, May 1,  2019, 3.png

Morris Memorial Bldg, May 1,  2019, 4.png

Morris Memorial Bldg, May 1,  2019, 5.png

Morris Memorial Bldg, May 1,  2019, 6.png

Morris Memorial Bldg, May 1,  2019, 7.png

Morris Memorial Bldg, May 1,  2019, 8.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2019 at 7:14 AM, markhollin said:

New 25' tall electronic sign being placed at NE corner of 4th Ave. South and Symphony Place.  Not sure if it is for Symphony or for whom?

Looking SE from intersection of 4th Ave. South and Symphony Place:

Sign at Symphony Hall, May 5, 2019.jpg

I walked past this during the pre-draft activities and honestly thought this was something for the draft. Could this be a downtown parking board telling people what garages have spaces? seems like an odd place for that. Maybe it will be some form of programable screen that major events can connect into and display, ala CMA Fest??

On 5/13/2019 at 3:26 PM, markhollin said:

The plans for Metro to purchase the Morris Memorial Building are starting to come into focus.  Documents show a committee is vetting a variety of options for the interior of the building, which is currently owned by the National Baptist Convention. appears the city wants to convert the 100-year-old building into an African American history museum covering areas not already covered in the Civil Rights Room at the Downtown Library nor the African aAmerican music Museum being built at 5th & Broadway. This would be primarily on the 2nd floor.  The first floor would feature a 3,500 sq. ft. restaurant and some office space.  The top three floors are still open for debate.  A current draft shows office space on the 3rd floor, and then affordable housing units on the 4th & 5th levels. 

Ashford Hughes, the mayor’s chief diversity, equity and inclusion officer, said in a phone interview Monday that the building was once the epicenter of black commerce in Nashville. That makes preserving it important to the mayor, regardless of costs, Hughes said. With a baseline budget in mind, the committee is focused on narrowing down funding options for the renovation before releasing its final recommendations to Briley early next month, Hughes said.

Cost would be $12.8 million for the building and lot, and approximately 12.2 million for the redevelopment of the spaces. 

PDF of some layout ideas here:

https://media.bizj.us/view/img/11313282/morris-building-draft-study.pdf

Morris Memorial Bldg, May 1,  2019, 6.png

Morris Memorial Bldg, May 1,  2019, 7.png

I'm sorry, but for even a draft this seems a bit preposterous! I get having a building with affordable housing have a dedicated revenue stream, but let the ground floor/2nd floor tenant carry that burden. This city needs more affordable housing. Eliminate the office and increase the amount of housing.

Secondly, those unit on the courtyard side of the building are pathetic. A living quarter that is the same depth as an Electrical and Riser Room?? That would be a big fat nope. Affordable housing isn't just about having a place to sleep. These units aren't hotel rooms. People who move into these units are typically doing out of a last resort and need to have a space where they can get back on their feet. Unit 09 shows an example layout of the space and I cry if it is true and am angry at who thinks that is a viable living quarter. People need a space to live, sleep and get their life in order. 

Lots of folks in places like Boston live in apartments of similar size to unit 9 in the proposed Morris building rehab. (I know because I lived in one of them in Beantown for three months in 2003.) The ability to have a clean, safe, and convenient living space with easy access to transportation via the Music City Central is a great living option for people who have few options in our “It” city. I’m for this project and hope we get more of this type of thing to ease the crunch for those on the lower end of our growing city!

Edited by donNdonelson2
Spellcheck
  • Like 4

The smallest apartments that are being built in Boston are economic studios at around 450 SF. Looking at unit 09 I would be shocked if that unit is even 400 SF, also I would not really call it an economic layout. I agree entirely that having a clean, safe and convenient living space is essential for living, but if people are not comfortable, then it won't succeed as living quarters. If we could get something closer to Unit 01 - but as a 1-bedroom version - I believe it would be much more successful. Low-income needs to feel less like  tenements and more like havens for people.

Quite honestly too, people that typically live in the smaller units have places they can go because they can afford to. people living in these units are most likely going from home to work and back to home and pinching every single penny as they go. This units should be comfortable apartments. not tight hotel rooms. These are not spaces just for sleep, but rather Sleep, Live, Rebound, Get yourself back on track. 

My first apartment in Atlanta was 17' x 17' which if I did my math right is only 289 square feet.  I loved that place and was there for 2 years.  I would've stayed, too, if my job hadn't taken me elsewhere.  There are times I wish I still lived in a small place.  I saved a pile of money not just on rent but since I had very little storage space, I didn't buy much "stuff."  Lots of people these days enjoy living in such small spaces, note the whole "tiny house" movement.  IKEA has fantastic showroom displays of how to furnish small apartments.

Related image

This is a 300 square foot floor plan:

Image result for ikea small studio

The floor plan of a 324 square foot apartment:

4076.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 1.1 acre lot at 804 14th Ave. North (just on the north side of the tracks from Marathon Village) has been rezoned for mixed-use 9previously just industrial).  The adjoining lot at 806 w/ 2.71 acres may end up being re-zoned as well, making a very attractive spot for a large development. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21068889/new-images-released-for-sobro-hotel

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 3.10.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 3.11.45 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was talking with a colleague who works specifically with affordable housing and she did pass some information along that helps put the Morris Building into perspective for me....

The state housing authority THDA's minimum size guidelines:

• SRO units: Shall contain at least 150 square feet (common kitchen/ bath)
  • Efficiency units: Shall contain at least 400 square feet
  • One-bedroom units: Shall contain at least 600 square feet
  • Two-bedroom units: Shall contain at least 800 square feet
  • Three-bedroom units: Shall contain at least 1,000 square feet
  • Four-bedroom units: Shall contain at least 1,100 square feet

The current layout of the Morris building appears to be best suited for the SRO units, where essentially the individual units aspects would be bedroom/workspaces and then have a communal kitchen and common space. Residents could have their own space to organize their life in the 150/200 square feet and then have a larger kitchen living commons on each floor. It's a little more  boarding house style, but that is probably the most efficient use of the space. All the examples of the IKEA tiny house is a single space, square, efficient layout. A lot of the spaces in the Morris building are long and rectangular and are harder to use efficiently.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

SRO?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_room_occupancy

From wiki:

Single room occupancy (more commonly abbreviated to SRO) is a form of housing that is typically aimed at residents with low or minimal incomes who rent small, furnished single rooms with a bed, chair, and sometimes a small desk.[1] SRO units are rented out as permanent residence and/or primary residence [2] to individuals, within a multi-tenant building where tenants share a kitchen, toilets or bathrooms. SRO units range from 80[3] to 140 square feet.[1] In the 2010s, some SRO units may have a small refrigerator, microwave and sink.[1]

SROs are a form of affordable housing, in some cases for formerly or otherwise homeless individuals.[4] SRO units are the least expensive form of non-subsidized rental housing, with median rents even in New York City ranging from $450 to $705 per month.[5] The term is primarily used in Canada and US. Since the 1970s and 1980s, there has been an increasing displacement of SRO units aimed at low-income earners due to gentrification, with SRO facilities being sold and turned into condominiums.[6] Between 1955 and 2013, almost one million SRO units were eliminated in the US due to regulation, conversion or demolition.[7]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Colts Chocolates is moving from their home at 609 Overton St. in theGulch to a larger facility in the Inglwood neighborhood.  This will free up 10,000 sq. ft. of space for MarketStreet Enterprises immediately to the north of The James mixed-use development in the Gulch.  

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/21069051/colts-chocolates-to-leave-gulch-for-inglewood

609 Overton, the Gulch, May 16, 2019, site map 1.png

609 Overton, the Gulch, May 16, 2019, site map 2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1