Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

On 4/8/2019 at 4:04 PM, markhollin said:

Heaven's Door Spirits and Center for the Arts will open in the fall of 2020 at the 159-year-old Elm Street Methodist Church at 614 5th Ave. South.  The Bob Dylan-affiliated venture will feature a craft whiskey distillery, a whiskey library, a restaurant, and a 360 seat performance venue.  It will also display pieces of Dylan's paintings and metalwork sculptures.  This is the structure that was most recently home to Tuck-Hinton Architecture. Yet another fantastic addition to lower SoBro with lots of historic significance.

Heaven's Door Distillery, April 8, 2019, render.png

An excellent reuse and well in keeping with Margaritaville just down the street.  5th will be quite a lively place.  But does anyone but me find it a little odd that it will be immediately next door to the rear of a youth center (Rocketown)?

Edited by Baronakim
formating error

28 minutes ago, titanhog said:

^^For some reason, they make the Tennessee River look more inviting than the Cumberland. 

Maybe because the Tennessee River at Chattanooga is a lake impounded by TVA and they do not experience the extents of water level fluctuation that the Cumberland has in Nashville.    Our river has a pretty fast current most of the time and is not particularly safe for unpowered boats.   Also the Tennessee River, lake or not, is considerably wider there, so wake from barge traffic is not so dangerous either.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

Maybe because the Tennessee River at Chattanooga is a lake impounded by TVA and they do not experience the extents of water level fluctuation that the Cumberland has in Nashville.    Our river has a pretty fast current most of the time and is not particularly safe for unpowered boats.   Also the Tennessee River, lake or not, is considerably wider there, so wake from barge traffic is not so dangerous either.

What does that mean..."lake impounded"?  Are you saying it's not the original channel of the TN River?

2 minutes ago, titanhog said:

What does that mean..."lake impounded"?  Are you saying it's not the original channel of the TN River?

Oh yes, it is the original channel, but the original Tennessee River before the TVA dams was not as deep at Chattanooga as you see it today.   Just downriver there were shoals that impeded barge traffic on the river.  The Nickajack Dam has raised the average water level resulting in less fluctuation at Chattanooga and allowed the demolition of the old Hales Bar Dam.   The Chickamauga Dam just above Chatanooga imponds a large lake and keeps Chattanooga from flooding.    If you follow Google maps along the river, you will see names of bars and shoals that once impeded river traffic.    The river still flows of course, but much slower, allowing the water to be much clearer at downtown Chattanooga as more sediments precipitate out.  Essentially The Tennessee is a long chain of lakes for most practical purposes.   The Cumberland at Nashville is below the major dams at Old Hickory and Percy Priest which release waters for flood control.  The Chatham Dam and locks downstream from  Ashland City are not intended for a big lake impoundment  but for river traffic mainly.   From Ashland City to Old Hickory, the Cumberland flows freely as a river course subject of much variance in level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Baronakim said:

An excellent reuse and well in keeping with Margaritaville just down the street.  5th will be quite a lively place.  But does anyone but me find it a little odd that it will be immediately next door to the rear of a youth center (Rocketown)?

I really think it is a matter of time before they decide to sell. They are sitting on a gold mine at that current location. They had plans for an addition that they cancelled a few years back and I wonder if that may have been the reason, they may have decided that they will eventually move and expand somewhere else. Just me speculating.

• Like 3

It is now official that the Ardent Company out of Atlanta, now in a joint venture with country artist John Rich, have paid $18.5 million for the 5 story 1905-era 200 Broadway Building (currently home to Cotton Eyed Joe).  That works out to $973 per square foot. It would appear that it will become some sort of theme bar.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/04/10/john-rich-partnering-atlanta-firm-buy-broadways-cotton-eyed-joe/3427955002/

And behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/04/10/atlanta-buyer-john-rich-snag-entire-block-of.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 6.58.22 AM.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

It is now official that the Ardent Company out of Atlanta, now in a joint venture with country artist John Rich, have paid $18.5 million for the 5 story 1905-era 200 Broadway Building (currently home to Cotton Eyed Joe).  That works out to $973 per square foot. It would appear that it will become some sort of theme bar.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/04/10/atlanta-buyer-john-rich-snag-entire-block-of.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Exciting! This could evolve into a 350 ft high-rise, 5 stories tall

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Why do so many of the newer honkeytonks play up the 'redneck' stereotype so much?  Surely being a live country music venue on Broadway checks enough boxes to get 'cred' without having to also name the place Toothless Hickey McGoo's Cousin' Lovin' Bathtub Moonshine Holler.

one would think

On 4/8/2019 at 4:04 PM, markhollin said:

Heaven's Door Distillery, April 8, 2019, render.png

Heaven's Door Distillery, April 8, 2019, 160 yr old Elm Street Church.png
 Pretty much only the 

Does anyone know what the gorgeous building was by the church in this old view?  Lafayette must have been much more grand an address back then than its rather seedy appearance now. Pretty much only two churches and the cigar lounge give any hint of the elegance of that area.  I don't think the Victorians would approve of calling it "Pietown".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26th and Clarksville Senior Living (4 & 5 stories, 55 units, and I believe some street level retail) update. Topped out.

Looking west from intersection of Clarksville Pike and 26th Ave. North:

26th North and Clarksville Hwy, Senior Housing, April 6, 2019, 1.jpg

Looking south from intersection of Clarksville Pike and 26th Ave. North:

26th North and Clarksville Hwy, Senior Housing, April 6, 2019, 2.jpg

Looking north along 26th Ave. North, 1/2 block south of Clarksville Pike:

26th North and Clarksville Hwy, Senior Housing, April 6, 2019, 3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Why do so many of the newer honkeytonks play up the 'redneck' stereotype so much?  

Having grown up in a very rural area, I know a lot of people who see the "redneck" thing as a badge of honor, and others realize there's a way to capitalize on it (we can probably blame Jeff Foxworthy for starting that trend). Hence the redneck-themed bars, party buses, and on and on. And the growth of the "redneck industry" seems to indicate it's a money-maker.

Although it would be a great twist if John Rich's new bar project was actually the total opposite of the redneck thing. Probably unlikely, but one can hope.

Edited by Jamie Hall
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

Having grown up in a very rural area, I know a lot of people who see the "redneck" thing as a badge of honor, and others realize there's a way to capitalize on it (we can probably blame Jeff Foxworthy for starting that trend). Hence the redneck-themed bars, party buses, and on and on. And the growth of the "redneck industry" seems to indicate it's a money-maker.

Although it would be a great twist if John Rich's new bar project was actually the total opposite of the redneck thing. Probably unlikely, but one can hope.

Yes, it is a badge of honor.  Several members of my family wear this badge proudly, though they are not party-type people.

10 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Why do so many of the newer honkeytonks play up the 'redneck' stereotype so much?  Surely being a live country music venue on Broadway checks enough boxes to get 'cred' without having to also name the place Toothless Hickey McGoo's Cousin' Lovin' Bathtub Moonshine Holler.

I think it's the same reason why so many "bro-country" songs are just songs about BEING a redneck ("Redneck Yacht Club" "The Cowboy in Me" "Big Green Tractor") It panders to both the people who are redneck enough to love it, and also the people who think it's a hilarious caricature and want to check it out for laughs. 

I will say, however, that in these newer "redneck" bars like Jason Aldean's and FGL House, most songs they are playing, on all four levels, are pop songs. There are some "country" songs, but they are mostly appealing to the young millennial, out-of-town crowd.

• Like 1