Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Local people still go to those places? I've lived here 8 years and went to Tootsie's once -- and that's only because my out-of-town friends insisted on going.

Rippy's was a convenient pre-game spot for Preds games.  The other ones I've been to all of one time.

Agreed on Roberts. It's the only bar where the house bands are both supremely talented and mostly avoid playing modern day bro-country music of which only Southern-born millennials can stand. Plus, the 5 dollar Bologna Bailout (A PBR, fried bologna sandwich, and a bag of chips) is the best deal on Broadway.

• Like 3

They have a  $15 poboy. It is called a poboy cause it is for po people. Should not cost more than $5 and that is really too much. 

and I was more referring the "honky tonks"...Pub5 is cool, especially the roof top bar, but, Id put it in with The Southern and other places like that.

Dean will be out there by himself with a gold shovel if he has to.

If he has a second shovel, I'd be glad to help.  The bridge, the Thompson Hotel and the Buckingham project at 12th and Division will all be finished about the same time, more or less.  The Gulch will be more vibrant to say the least.

• Like 2

Spoke with someone yesterday who is "in the know" about the Gulch bridge. Sounds like there's really not much standing in the way at this point except for some wrangling about property rights, ROW, imminent domain, etc. and details related to the land being taken for this purpose.

Soon?

Ready for a huge announcement :) Seems like it has been awhile since we have gotten something.  I mean it's probably been a week or two.  That is way to long in the new normal for Nashville :)

Yeah, it's fun to turn on the internet and see an announcement of a 38 story building, totally out of the blue. No rumors or even whispers to give us a heads up.

• Like 2

Tony G buying more land in SoBro.  Wonder what his future plans may be?

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2015/09/tonygiarratanas-company-buys-sobro-land.html

I think all of the pie shaped parcels around the Music City Roundabout have tremendous potential.  I can foresee that being a focal point of 5 tall structures that have a tasteful integration with the circle within the next decade.

• Like 2

Point of discussion: What to do with Ben West Building (former downtown library)?  Does the city still own it, as well as the large parking lot on the south side? Certainly a prime location for something substantial.  The design gets mixed reviews, and it's layout limits it's practical usages. There appears to be parking for about 50 cars in a sub-level underneath. The building has some nice qualities in that it has plenty of floor space in two massive main rooms on the first floor.  Could possibly work well as a museum, or ballrooms/music venues, or several high-class restaurants. But my guess is the land is worth more than either the potential uses of the existing structure or the revenue of just parking in the south lot.  Thoughts?

Old Library a, Sept.jpg

Old Library b, Sept.jpg

Old Library c, Sept.jpg

Old Library d, Sept.jpg

Old Library e, Sept.jpg

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 2

Point of discussion: What to do with Ben West Building (former downtown library)?  Does the city still own it, as well as the large parking lot on the south side? Certainly a prime location for something substantial.  The design gets mixed reviews, and it's layout limits it's practical usages. There appears to be parking for about 50 cars in a sub-level underneath. The building has some nice qualities in that it has plenty of floor space in two massive main rooms on the first floor.  Could possibly work well as a museum, or ballrooms/music venues, or several high-class restaurants. But my guess is the land is worth more than either the potential uses of the existing structure or the revenue of just parking in the south lot.  Thoughts?

You just pulled Paramount747's chain, whether you know it or not, on that building.  That's his pet.  We already took stabs last at it last spring, one way or another, discussion on which you'll find in late April and early May 2015 in this same thread.
-==-

Edited by rookzie

Good questions that the city leaders are (no doubt) NOT pondering.  With a little ingenuity and leadership, there could be private/public partnerships to repurpose the building, say trading permission to go up to a very tall height on the parking lot to a developer in exchange for integrating and reusing the West building. There are many potential uses, heck even possibly serving as the podium of a complex that covers the whole site.  That's the sort of (forward) thinking I don't expect from city leaders... and one that's often seen in cities that are going through a boom... just level it and let the highest bidder deal with it. 

• Like 1