Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

You should totally venture over. It's got higher than average crime, but it's not "keep driving if you get a flat tire" dangerous. I grew up in Memphis though, so I recognize my perspective may be a bit skewed.

The neighborhood is definitely not Bordeaux. Bordeaux is a suburban area across the river that mainly developed in the 40s-60s.

My house, which is kinda on the NW quadrant and is a mile from Rolf and Daughters, 2 miles from the farmers market, not quite 2 miles to Charlotte.

I plan on it now. One thing the city needs badly is more affordable housing. There has to be alternatives for people that are in the lower middle class and have a safe neighborhood to live in.  One thing  is the MDHA project that is to go on the corner of 10th & Jefferson. It has yet to get funding, but I am hopeful it will.

• Like 1

Never!

You gona die young then.

On a different note, Sam's Sushi in Noel Place is closed. It was on Channel 5 this evening. Should have gone in one more time for the sushi nazi.

Anyway, this bodes well for the Noel hotel project that should be starting very soon.

One thing  is the MDHA project that is to go on the corner of 10th & Jefferson. It has yet to get funding, but I am hopeful it will.

I read from Erica Gilmore that project will look like the Rolling Mill Hill complex, will be controlled with income minimum and maximize monthly income

PH

What would be great is if middle class African Americans could once again call this neighborhood home so that it truly is a diverse place, rather than solely yuppie, upper middle class white folks. The housing stock is a bit smaller on average than 12south, East Nashville, Sylvan Park, so I think having more diversity in incomes in this neighborhood is maybe more likely than, for instance, where  I used to be on N 2nd in McFerrin Park.  The rate of displacement going on over there was/is stunning.

Going to be difficult with the current trends within the zip code, I can't find the website now but over the past 18 months the white population is +140% and AA is -40%

Edited by HGMIII

I read from Erica Gilmore that project will look like the Rolling Mill Hill complex, will be controlled with income minimum and maximize monthly income

Going to be difficult with the current trends within the zip code, I can't find the website now but over the past 18 months the white population is +140% and AA is -40%

It will be a fight for sure. Though I think most of that change is in the neighborhoods east of the 65 loop. I think area realtors should focus on bringing the professors from TSU/Fisk/Meharry into the neighborhood. Regardless of color - for any neighborhood to be healthy, it needs folks who can support local businesses and as few vacant homes as possible. I'm hoping to start a neighborhood association and listserv for the area to try and organize the community a bit so that the community itself can have a say in how the inevitable gentrification occurs.

• Like 4

Off topic, but since the At&t tower is in the CBD I figured I'd post here. I noticed on the Adventure Science cam that the At&t tower is completely dark except for the very tip of the spires. I've never noticed this before. Is At&t cutting back on electricity perhaps?

While would-be luxury hotel developers dither, yet another opportunist budget "hotelier" slips in to put in something ... more rooms perhaps?  (dare you to call them hotel rooms). Or maybe nothing (for a while).  Although, this developer dropped some righteous bucks for land "across from the bus station".  I can hardly wait to see what this one will look like.  At least it's not on KVB.  

From Getahn Ward at the Tennessean.com... 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/05/01/hotel-owner-buys-land-future-development/8580907/

Edited by MLBrumby

Off topic, but since the At&t tower is in the CBD I figured I'd post here. I noticed on the Adventure Science cam that the At&t tower is completely dark except for the very tip of the spires. I've never noticed this before. Is At&t cutting back on electricity perhaps?

Noticed this as well last night coming home from dinner, first time I've ever seen Batman without his lights.

Probably a pissed off AT&T customer that happens to work at NES....

• Like 1

it will be heavy-lifting indeed to get his demographic (older, hard of hearing, wine drinkers) to that part of Nashville in any quantity...

Gosh, I hear that is almost exactly, with the exception of "Nashville" what they said in New York and Chicago.

hmmm deep pockets? ....Steve Case

Sobro really doesn't have an identity. These days I just consider everything north of KVB just to be "downtown."  It will obviously have a mix of residential and office uses, but the dominant identifiers are the MCC, museums, entertainment venues, and the associated hotels.  Those things can all support retail in spots, but I don't see any particular street in Sobro becoming a retail-specific mecca like MichiganAve.

I would honestly have expected higher-end chain and some boutique retail to concentrate in the Gulch.  Maybe that will still happen along 11th/12th.  I think that that is the most likely/viable focus street/district for those types of stores.

I think that the independent boutique clothing stuff will continue to focus in the 12South area. 

I'm honestly not sure where Hillsboro Village is headed these days from a retail perspective.  

East Nashville has some clothing options, but we are heavy on the vintage clothing, not so much on the "new" clothing.

Yeah, they pretty much screwed a well placed high end retail district in downtown with the placement of the MCC.  

Gosh, I hear that is almost exactly, with the exception of "Nashville" what they said in New York and Chicago.

hmmm deep pockets? ....Steve Case

Yeah...once you see it/experience it, the model just works. I think that they are going to make a ton of money and that people will have no trouble driving in from Franklin and Brentwood to see a show. They are also going to get a heavy hotel/tourist crowd coming in. 

Yeah, they pretty much screwed a well placed high end retail district in downtown with the placement of the MCC.  

I would rather have the MCC and subsequent hotel(s) development than just "potential". Knowing Nashville, it could become another car dealership or worse.  

• Like 2

Noticed this as well last night coming home from dinner, first time I've ever seen Batman without his lights.

They are back on tonight. Maybe someone forgot to flip the switch last night lol. Too bad the lights aren't as bright as they were before the At&t sign went up. For some reason they keep the lights in the mid section that used to shine up the slanted roof turned off now.

Great work Getahn!!  Thanks for writing it, and MLBrumby for posting it.  It states in the article that the hotel thought to be slated for the curved 11th and Pine location is a Thompson Hotel.  I'd still prefer to have a more 'neighborhood focal point' type of development in that space, but if it's going to be a hotel, it'd be hard to top that.  Thompson Hotel is an ultra hip, small chain that currently only has locations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Toronto, and London. 

• Like 1

4,500 units by 2030, which would give the Gulch a population of around 7,200...which was the estimated population of all of downtown (including the Gulch) in 2013.

2 million sq ft of office, 500,000 sq ft of retail, and 4,500 residential units is pretty ambitious. That would give Nashville it's first 50,000 ppsm neighborhood.

• Like 3

Great article, Getahn. 

Bloom sees SoBro as the convention center and limited-service hotel market, while the Gulch becomes the center for lifestyle luxury hotels.

Interesting distinction on the type of hotels that would work in the Gulch.   He's probably right that a Thompson or W would thrive in the Gulch and not be reliant on convention traffic.