Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Already lost my cellphone in Vegas. Fortunately, Yelp has tons...

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/walgreens-las-vegas-2?select=xhe6AMo3p1rYGOEvH_7-sA#xhe6AMo3p1rYGOEvH_7-sA

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas

our arcade Walgreens just shriveled up into a fetal position...

Turn it into an art gallery already.

Good article, WW, highlighting the Germantown/Salemtown buzz.     Help me with the project count for the 9 proposed multi-residential-unit buildings in Germantown.    Last paragraph suggests that the Germantown count does not include projects in Salemtown (of which there are several under construction or proposed), First TN Park (Sounds/Embrey) and 909.   Under construction includes Werthan Flats, Co-Housing, Lexus and Square at 4th.      Last week's 6th & Taylor announcement would be one of the 3 adaptive reuse projects.

For proposed multi-unit, I know of these.   Clearly I'm missing some  

Broadstone

Gramercy

RD Herbert

Morgan Park Place expansion (mixed use)

HG Hill (maybe, although nothing currently proposed)

thanks, CenterHill

WW

Wait, what?...... are you not suppose to talk at this place??

“We shush more than any venue I know,” Mr. Dorf explained, with a laugh.

The candles (and the shushing) are a small part of City Winery’s plan to lure the people ignored by the youth-obsessed music industry: fans over 40 who will pay extra for a classy meal and a room quiet enough to hear the plucking of a guitar string. Founded five years ago, City Winery is now an established stop on the singer-songwriter touring circuit and expanding rapidly. A Chicago branch opened in 2012, and another will arrive on April 10 in Napa, Calif., the heart of the American wine industry. Nashville is next, in September, and ultimately Mr. Dorf envisions a House of Blues-like network of 30 to 40 clubs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/arts/music/city-winery-expands-beyond-its-new-york-flagship.html?_r=0

These are Mr. Hobbs' other ventures:  http://cumberlandhospitalitygroup.com   

Though, from the article it sounds like it won't be anything like thisese.  These other places are very Lower Broad (read: touristy),  and the Germantown place is more of a low-key neighborhood kind of place.  I've been to some of his other places downtown and they are well-conceived and designed, so I have high hopes they'll do a good job with this and make it fit into the vibe of G-town.   

• Like 1

Thanks for finally joining up, mundiejc. Great first post. Please do keep us in the know about your neighborhood. That's definitely not an area that we hear a whole lot about, but I'm not the least bit surprised that some movement is happening there. Nashville's historic neighborhoods are hot, and since we have relatively low historic housing stock compared to a number of similar-sized (and even smaller) cities, folks are having to look for houses in a lot of areas that have been under the radar for decades.

Long time lurker here - finally decided to register and post.

Just wanted to let ya'll know it may be wise to add, or start a new forum for the historic north Nashville area bounded by charlotte, 28th ave n, metro center and 65) as some residential projects have started over here.

<SNIP>

Its my belief that the potential for this neighborhood, especially once you have a diverse income mix and some of the abandoned houses are remodeled or torn down as needed. Buchanan and Jefferson are really great commercial corridors that remind me of 12south when I first moved here in 2003. Great old commercial space, sidewalks, on streets with more of a residential/walkable feel.

We cashed out of McFerrin Park last September to get our new house, and I'm glad we did. 5 years from now, I'm convinced Jones, Elizabeth Park, Fisk/Osage, and Cumberland Gardens are going to have a completely different feel.

I agree wholeheartedly about the potential.

NnashvilleMap_zps39ec504d.jpg

I have cruised this area a few times recently and saw a neighborhood with huge potential for commercial and retail development oriented toward neighborhood needs (such as in Germantown). The intersection of Dr. D. B. Todd, Jr. and Buchanan Street has a tremendous amount of undervalued land which would seemingly be available for high end community type, walk up services (drug stores, laundries, restaurants, food stores, and on and on). This is something Germantown seems to have lacking.

NNashvileSat_zps1390f58e.jpg

However, I would hate to see most of the existing population base being squeezed out. It would be awesome if the City could assure that the street names, neighborhood names and all aspects of it's unique cultural heritage be kept and maintained.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum mundiejc . Thanks for the informative post! This is an area of town that I know little about. I guess it is one of the areas a person may think twice about before driving through. I had no idea how the area was being transformed. I have ventured into Buena Vista and that was a stretch for a while, but it is coming around as well. I venture into the area right around Meharry, seeing the new development on the campus and that is about it. Please keep us informed about the area, but continue to post on this thread. We have a lot of pinned threads as it is right now and I am afraid to add another one. I am not sure if the neighborhood has a name. Not being from here, I probably refer to the entire area as Bordeaux, mostly out of ignorance.

• Like 1

Well I doubt I will partake but more power to him. 

It is good that he has deep pockets as it will be heavy-lifting indeed to get his demographic (older, hard of hearing, wine drinkers) to that part of Nashville in any quantity...

You should totally venture over. It's got higher than average crime, but it's not "keep driving if you get a flat tire" dangerous. I grew up in Memphis though, so I recognize my perspective may be a bit skewed.

The neighborhood is definitely not Bordeaux. Bordeaux is a suburban area across the river that mainly developed in the 40s-60s.

My house, which is kinda on the NW quadrant and is a mile from Rolf and Daughters, 2 miles from the farmers market, not quite 2 miles to Charlotte.

One piece of advice:  STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS AREA IMMEDIATELY! 

Lots of neighborhoods in East Nashville worked hard to get our names out there to get our share of some of the love being showered on the Big 3:  Edgefield/East End/Lockeland Springs.  But now development is so hot and over-ripe that many of us wish that we could go back incognito.  We're about to start marketing campaigns to scare people away.  Seriously. 

So if you are working on fixing up a neighborhood, you will need to keep it a quiet secret.

The comparison to N 2nd in McFerrin Park is spot on.  Two years ago people were afraid to drive through there in the daytime.  Now they are bulldozing houses and requesting SPs to allow them to put two houses on one single-family-only lot so that they can make double the commission.  Get ready for some battles.  I wish that people had enough sense to tear the right things down and fix the right things up.  But those sensible people get stepped over by the mad rush of speculators.

• Like 2