Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

1210 Rosa L. Parks Blvd. will  feature:  a) 1 story, 7,500 sq. ft. retail building for AutoZone store; and b) 1 story, 10,000 sq. ft. retail center with 2 to 4 tenant slots.  The lot is 1.18 acre and will feature a surface lot behind the structure. Karl Peters and Leonard Amdur are the developers.  A 2022 completion date is scheduled. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21147049/retail-buildings-eyed-for-germantown

Monroe & Rosa Parks Retail, April 11, 2021, render.png

Monroe & Rosa Parks Retail, April 11, 2021, site aerial.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Monroe & Rosa Parks Retail, April 11, 2021, site map.png

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, markhollin said:

1210 Rosa L. Parks Blvd. will  feature:  a) 1 story, 7,500 sq. ft. retail building for AutoZone store; and b) 1 story, 10,000 sq. ft. retail center with 2 to 4 tenant slots.  The lot is 1.18 acre and will feature a surface lot behind the structure. Karl Peters and Leonard Amdur are the developers.  A 2022 completion date is scheduled. 

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21147049/retail-buildings-eyed-for-germantown

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

This seems like a really disappointing project for such a prominent location. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, samsonh said:

This seems like a really disappointing project for such a prominent location. 

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

The renderings look almost identical to the retail building in front of the old Wal Mart near Gallatin and Douglas. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 8:31 AM, AsianintheNations said:

Many of the full-name streets are named after important African American historical figures, but I am willing to bet that most Nashvillians wouldn't recognize who they were from just their last names (as opposed to say Briley Parkway or presidents' last names). So I think it plays a role in awareness of the people the streets are honoring, on the chance that a small proportion of people driving on them will Google the namesakes and perhaps identify new role models. For example, David B. Todd, MD, PhD was the first African American cardiothoracic surgeon in Nashville. The "Dr." part of the street name is important for recognizing that he was a medical (and PhD) doctor at a time when it was very difficult for Black Americans to achieve such an education, with plenty of barriers still existing today. I will freely admit that I did not know who he was until Googling it when I first moved into town. Once I knew who he was, I've never messed up which first initials go with which last name, any more than I would say displace a word from Granny White Pike or Sawyer Brown Rd (trivia: the country band is named for the road, not the other way around). Obviously, Rosa Parks is quite famous, but there I think "Parks Blvd" would look like a typo of "Park Blvd."

I think we should continue to recognize individuals with Nashville roots, especially those in the African American community who have been overlooked by the general public for far too long. I especially like that the Tennessee capital's address is 600 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

It seems like there could be a way to streamline some of the naming conventions. I'm not sure we need middle initials for most people, or their honorifics on official names. I think "Jo Johnson Ave" and "Henry Hale Blvd" do just as good of a job honoring people as ""Dr. D.B. Todd Jr. Blvd" and "Rep John A. Lewis Way." I think it's great to put the honorifics on the street signs, but maybe just now on the official names. The syllable count matters if you want people to use the name- "Representative John A Lewis Way" is 10 syllables, which replaced "5th Avenue" at 4 syllables.  "John Lewis Way" is 4. It's easier to convince people to use the new name if they don't need double the amount of time to say it!

• Like 2

12th & Porter (114 12th Ave. North) will be getting a facelift and the new moniker, Nightscape: "a dynamic multi-sensory event and entertainment space customizable for technology-driven public experiences, private events and creative production services" (according to a press release).  the state-of-the-art facility will feature projection mapping that can be adapted for a myriad of settings. 

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/04/12/12thporter-gulch-nightscape-entertainment-venue.html

• Like 3

On 4/12/2021 at 3:20 PM, markhollin said:

12th & Porter (114 12th Ave. North) will be getting a facelift and the new moniker, Nightscape: "a dynamic multi-sensory event and entertainment space customizable for technology-driven public experiences, private events and creative production services" (according to a press release).  the state-of-the-art facility will feature projection mapping that can be adapted for a myriad of settings. 

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/04/12/12thporter-gulch-nightscape-entertainment-venue.html

Too bad it will no longer be a music venue.  Seen a lot of great music there…had lots of showcases for bands I’ve managed…etc.  Sad to lose another.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Does anyone know anything about the two single story buildings that have just been demolished at the corner of 9th and Monroe? One used to be a day care and the other housed JUMP and Streetworks, two community service organizations. Both buildings were likely damaged in the tornado.