Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Guy's true story. I have read plenty of posts on here without responding on this subject about the fear of Nashville having height until seeing this. Years ago back I think maybe in 2006 when the proposal of the original signature tower had the rendering sitting on a table at a meeting and Tony G was explaining all the details of it. I think this was during the time that he had to get the approval from the FAA regarding height. On one of the local news channels I kid you not. There was this older lady that had to work for the MDHA or some group at that time that looked like she was about late 50's early 60's was talking with one of the news people on the evening news that said that if it was up to her. NO building, I mean absolutely NO building will ever exceed the Batman building. She wanted the Batman building to always remaining the tallest with it's uniqueness. It's somewhere on tape at one of the local news stations of her saying that. It has to be on archives somewhere back in I want to say from 2005-2007. I never forgot that comment was made at that time. So just think about all of the other mindsets on the MDHA with the fear of hot with people set in their ways on things. It sounds a little too harsh but some of those people have to retire or die off in order to have a different way of thinking on development in Nashville close to downtown. 

• Like 1

An incredible disappointment for sure but really guys, did any of you expect anything different from Hensler and especially from Eakin? Not sure whats up with MDHA...if this garbage would have been proposed before the Metropolitan Planning Commission here in Knoxville, Hensler and Eakin would be laughed out of the room if nothing more than how absurdly hideous it is (even though Knoxville and Knoxvillians would love a new project of this size).

• Like 1

Well, we might as well just batten down and live with the fact that Nashville will become little more than the 1960s version of Lego-Town (before the kits had curved shapes)

I've seen more class in a chunk of Galena mineral, than in the unwavering trend here. :huh:image.jpegimage.jpeg 

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

Can someone explain what the h3ll was wrong with Tony's proposal? Nashville is running out of centrally located river front land to be developed. Maybe they'll pull a 'Westin' with the windows so you can see Eakin smoking crack on the top floor. Unreal.

• Like 3

After seeing the other proposals, I'm totally convinced that this was the absolute worse BY FAR.  This must be looked into further as it smells of a pay off or worse.  I still can't tell what the drive in movie screen is, but if it is a hotel or residence, it looks way too much like the Hyatt in Columbus which is hideous.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, GreenHillsBoy said:

After seeing the other proposals, I'm totally convinced that this was the absolute worse BY FAR.  This must be looked into further as it smells of a pay off or worse.  I still can't tell what the drive in movie screen is, but if it is a hotel or residence, it looks way too much like the Hyatt in Columbus which is hideous.

It actually reminds me of The Doubletree Hotel in downtown Nashville, which was built in 1979.  I'm with you in thinking there must be some sort of pay off here, not because I have any evidence of course, but simply because there is no rational reason I can think of why this would be selected.  Even amongst the more conservative proposals that didn't include large towers, this one was still, as far as I can tell, objectively the worst proposal by far.  To me, though the tower is bland and uninspired, it isn't even the worst part of it.  The worst part in my opinion is how the rest of the vast lands here are filled up by low rise buildings that look like parking garages in Cool Springs and useless 'green space.'  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3