505 CST - 545 feet - 45 Floors

smeagolsfree

Ugh.  If there were a list of all the ways this city's complete and total dependence on the automobile has harmed it, it would be a very long list. 

True.     If they had decided to eliminate street level retail, I would be much more upset.  I think MDHA recognizes that retail located up a flight of stairs from pedestrian traffic (and fairly modest traffic on that stretch of 5th) will be more difficult to rent out.   Look at the upstairs tenant mix in the Arcade (raise your hand if you didn't realize there WERE upstairs tenants in the Arcade).    As long as the street level retail component is well designed, I don't think it's a bad decision.   

• Like 1

So if Paramount starts to rise soon will it have its own crane or will these two be it?

I believe the two existing cranes are for the garage only, and there is a spot for a crane base for Paramount that is closer to Church St.

I THINK that's what is the case.

Does anyone know if they're just going to leave the huge hole where Paramount will go while building the garage?  In other words....if Tony can't build Paramount, will they just leave the hole next the Church St where the building was supposed to go?

My point is...since they've dug all the way to Church, it would have to signal that Paramount's construction is imminent...right?

Does anyone know if they're just going to leave the huge hole where Paramount will go while building the garage?  In other words....if Tony can't build Paramount, will they just leave the hole next the Church St where the building was supposed to go?

My point is...since they've dug all the way to Church, it would have to signal that Paramount's construction is imminent...right?

I believe the deal is that Paramount is supposed to begin around the same time that the garage is finishing (or shortly before), and that if it is a no-go, then when the garage is finished, they will just fill the hole. 

That's not to cast any doubt on 'imminent construction', but it was obviously a lot easier to dig out the hole all at once rather than dig them separately, which would be much more difficult with a garage right next door. I'm not sure if it is "official" in any way, but it was my understanding that part of the deal of Tony selling the land was that MDHA would dig his part of the hole for him.

• Like 2

I believe the deal is that Paramount is supposed to begin around the same time that the garage is finishing (or shortly before), and that if it is a no-go, then when the garage is finished, they will just fill the hole. 

That's not to cast any doubt on 'imminent construction', but it was obviously a lot easier to dig out the hole all at once rather than dig them separately, which would be much more difficult with a garage right next door. I'm not sure if it is "official" in any way, but it was my understanding that part of the deal of Tony selling the land was that MDHA would dig his part of the hole for him.

or we could have a downtown swimming hole like the one on West End

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...