Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

20 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

they have some pretty lengthy leases at 400

I dont doubt you for one second but I thought the leases in 400 were up around 2020? 

As long as this tower is above 500' I'd be happy. Anyway, I seem to recall someone (maybe you RDF21) mentioning that this tower would be 'back'/announced (or whatever) this summer. 

9 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

I dont doubt you for one second but I thought the leases in 400 were up around 2020? 

As long as this tower is above 500' I'd be happy. Anyway, I seem to recall someone (maybe you RDF21) mentioning that this tower would be 'back'/announced (or whatever) this summer. 

I still believe that we will hear something this summer/fall, numerous people have noted movement on this project to me privately. I'm just hesitant to believe a new tallest. That said, I trust ATLRVR more than anyone else on this board, I should note. I just would think there'd have to be something bigger than Childress Klein and Duke Energy attached. I've sent emails out to a dozen people.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I still believe that we will hear something this summer/fall, numerous people have noted movement on this project to me privately. I'm just hesitant to believe a new tallest. That said, I trust ATLRVR more than anyone else on this board, I should note. I just would think there'd have to be something bigger than Childress Klein and Duke Energy attached. I've sent emails out to a dozen people.

Hopefully your emails will avail some double-secret probation level info!

Ok I did some research and along with Will Boye's Business Journal article from 2013.   They have a lease of about 500,000 sq ft in 400 South Tryon tower that can be extended until 2024  that would give time to build this new tower.   Over 500,000 sq ft and I heard back then they wanted to move out this building then but the merger with Progress stalled that as they needed the space.    https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/07/duke-energy-keeping-space-at-400-south.html

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, saamh said:

I have been the thinking the same thing recently and noticing similar parallels in over speculation that fuels maybe premature projects. I would be personally thrilled if we get a 600 foot tower, I may be the only person on this thread who would be okay with BOFA CC retaining its status as Charlotte’s tallest. I know eventually it will lose that status but for the time being a 600 foot tower may nicely close out this construction cycle before the next construction boom.  With that being said if Duke really has the stomach for a new tower of that size and is planning on moving people front Raleigh then by all means, go for it!

I'm on the same mind really.  Even with Legacy, we'd only have 7 buildings over 500ft.  Would like to see more in the 400-600 range built before thinking about a 1000+ft tower.  Fill in the density

9 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I’m in the boat of if a company is willing and able to build a new tallest, I’m all for it.  I agree, that I want the density as well, but the 400-600 footers will come in time, as they have been recently.  Having a company that is willing to build 900-1000+ footer is a once in a decade or two type deal (for Charlotte at least).  

Agreed.  If they have the means, and someone is willing to develop it,  then yes, build it. Charlotte has had no problem with infill projects as of late. 

2 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I’m in the boat of if a company is willing and able to build a new tallest, I’m all for it.  I agree, that I want the density as well, but the 400-600 footers will come in time, as they have been recently.  Having a company that is willing to build 900-1000+ footer is a once in a decade or two type deal (for Charlotte at least).  

You damn near verbatim said what I was thinking as I was reading @Desert Power's post. Density is great, but it's inevitable anyway. I would 100% pick a new tallest over infill, because we'll get that anyway.

One other lease that Duke has that is substantial in the Piedmont Natural Gas lease at Piedmont Town Center in Southpark they anchor one of the buildings there with over 110,000 sq ft. I know they have moved some people uptown for I know someone who was with Piedmont and after the merger moved uptown.  So that would be 650,000 plus square feet in just 2 buildings 400 Tryon and those offices in Southpark.  

So they have 140,000 sq ft in Southpark according to this article from 2014  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/11/piedmont-natural-gas-expands-by-7-206-square-feet.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

I've talked to a couple of Duke employees that I know and the rumors from within the company are that something will be announced later this year, but both of them are low enough in the company that they would only hear rumors trickling down from those actually in the know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

and Tryon Place and especially Charlotte Observer site were very fictitious at the time too.   I remember people saying NO way would Bank of America ever anchor a tower on that site but they did.

just wait til they anchor a second on South Tryon ;-)

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

and Tryon Place and especially Charlotte Observer site were very fictitious at the time too.   I remember people saying NO way would Bank of America ever anchor a tower on that site but they did.

That was the only one I doubted. I rolled my eyes at the thought of BofA anchoring a building on the Wells Fargo side. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I heard one of our esteemed contributors suggested that back in the day before the KJ was around.  

I actually got banned for suggesting that.