Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

32 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

So I know this is a “rumor“ but how much fact is it based off of? Obviously somebody heard something, but was it through the grapevine, or was this from a legitimate source that cannot be named? The only reason I ask is because I don’t want to start spreading false information that Charlotte might be getting a new tower, when in reality it’s not even likely  based on any solid information. 

C'mon ain't it just fun to dream? ... of course the downside of speculating is we'll inevitably get stuck with a 650 footer and we'll all be severely underwhelmed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nakers2 said:

So I know this is a “rumor“ but how much fact is it based off of? Obviously somebody heard something, but was it through the grapevine, or was this from a legitimate source that cannot be named? The only reason I ask is because I don’t want to start spreading false information that Charlotte might be getting a new tower, when in reality it’s not even likely  based on any solid information. 

Yes, I think "I'm hearing" means we're not allowed to regard this as an announcement yet. But it also doesn't mean that it can be readily dismissed. Arguably, every built tower started as an "I'm hearing."

• Like 1

It only makes sense. This is the largest power company In the US. They should definetely build a 1 million square footer. Preferably at a couple of feet taller than BOA Atlanta. I do not want a tall square, but would not mind something along the lines of a four pronged top. 

• Like 2

My biggest worry is Duke #2 even at 900' and 1 million sq ft still gets overshadowed by the gravity of DEC's 1.4 sq feet by being so close. Maybe if it's setback a bit on the lot (See Hearst Tower's relationship to BOAC) to create just a bit more separation from DEC, it will help it standout better in the skyline.

I know some have expressed a desire for the next tallest to be more separate (like along N Tryon) so it gets better visual billing  and I see that argument but if I'm Duke and I'm investing 1Billion in a new building it better be in an excellent street level location first before I even consider skyline aesthetics. And there's no better locale than this spot-- except *maybe* the square. 

34 minutes ago, Dale said:

Yes, I think "I'm hearing" means we're not allowed to regard this as an announcement yet. But it also doesn't mean that it can be readily dismissed. Arguably, every built tower started as an "I'm hearing."

Also, It’s Altrvr.... Who is definitely reliable and credible. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Also, It’s Altrvr.... Who is definitely reliable and credible. 

Good point. I'm intrigued by the notion of Duke + convention hotel, but seems like Duke's needs are more than sufficient for a really tall tower.

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Duke Energy is going to build a tower there how high I have no idea.  They purchased the land for it and they are not known for sitting on land.  They movde into the now named Duke Energy Center but this was and is still is not "their" building. The DEC was built as the Wachovia Corporate Center for their corporate offices Duke saw an opportunity when the Wells Fargo Wachovia merger happened and Wells put the brakes on expansion.  Duke Energy is the largest investor owned utility in the country and the only building they own uptown is the Duke building on South Church see KJ's photo below).  They lease everywhere else including the DEC from their landlord Wells Fargo.  ( I think Wells is wanting some of that space back now as they own it and it would be cheaper space for their continued growth here)  

Below is the only building Duke owns uptown outside of the data center and small building next door on S College.  From the KJ archives from the early 1980s but the building has not changed except for the light artwork on the side.   Duke currently leases uptown space in the NASCAR Plaza, DEC,  400 South Tryon.  They could easily fill up a 1 Million sq ft tower if they moved just from those 3 locations!  

FullSizeRender (9).jpg

To piggyback KJs post, 1,000,000sq/ft at 25k sq/ft floorplates is 40 stories. So, it's not difficult to see that many additional stories would be needed to accommodate the out of town jobs that will transfer and growth.   If it's wishful thinking on my part (which there is) or logic, I can see this being a very tall building. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Popsickle said:

To piggyback KJs post, 1,000,000sq/ft at 25k sq/ft floorplates is 40 stories. So, it's not difficult to see that many additional stories would be needed to accommodate the out of town jobs that will transfer and growth.   If it's wishful thinking on my part (which there is) or logic, I can see this being a very tall building. 

I was going to do the math but I am on vacation mode LOL but yes I thought in my head a 40 plus story building to give a little room for expansion.  With a very lighted top as they want to encourage electricity use and maybe something like the Hong Kong highrises that light up lots of different ways.  A signature tower for a huge corporation.  LEED platinum certified I would bet too.   and they might want to make it higher than 40 to allow for expansion etc.  I am just saying as they probably need 1 million sq ft.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

I’ve been in Montana, and Wyoming the past few days, and I’m now in Idaho and tomorrow in Utah, so y’all are on your own on this one. UP and development was on my “don’t do” list provided by my wife lol. I’d trust@atlrvr on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/26/2018 at 9:16 PM, Phillydog said:

Make it 1024' and I'll rejoice.

1024' would be special. Would be 15th tallest in US. And tallest in the South. Only NYC, Chicago, Philly, LA and SF would have taller. As an aside, I remember when BOAC was completed in 1992. It was in the Top 30 in the world! Those were heady times. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Oh, I thought 1024 made for a "mega" tall building, but I like that even better. So many layers

According to the CTBUH:

A “supertall” is a tall building over 300 meters (984 feet) in height, and a “megatall” is a tall building over 600 meters (1,968 feet) in height.

2 hours ago, skymiler said:

I don't.....what did he do?  Significance of 1,024' is what?

It's time for Charlotte to have a 1,000' tower.  They're building them like wildfire in NY and, to a lesser extent, in Chicago.  The Queen City deserves a new crown.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4