Radius | 13-Story Residential [Under Construction]

smileguy

It will eventually be a lot better with tenants in the GF of Radius.  The restaurant space in the GF of Skyhouse seems to finally have some traction.  (Hotel opening nearby and Radius adding residents certainly helped that revolving door).  That space was always a bit odd being slightly too large for the traffic.  Now that there is more traffic it seems actually viable. 

I don't work nearby any more, but it was a big improvement over what was there before. They always had courthouse traffic at the Subway, and they will likely be able to spread that out around the other spaces a bit with the right options.  There is also now a Starbucks in the lobby of the hotel. 

11 hours ago, JFW657 said:

My question is: why would you want to sit outside on a blistering hot concrete patio in this miserable July heat and humidity, drinking hot tea anyway? 

There's got to be a nice, cool 7-Eleven  nearby where you can get an icy cold Big Gulp (full of tea if you prefer) where you can relax and enjoy... :thumbsup: 

True. I'll make sure that I sit in the Radius's EPCOT Morocco Pavilion inspired landscaped plaza in the morning before the sun crests over the building, next to the plaza sculpture. Oh yeah scratch that. Never mind. 

• Haha 2

On 7/13/2022 at 12:51 PM, codypet said:

That Greek place always has people there and the fact that they have an order online and pickup option is fantastic.  Ask me how I know?:tw_lol:

'Hey, Codypet...how do you know?!'

19 hours ago, eq1974 said:

True. I'll make sure that I sit in the Radius's EPCOT Morocco Pavilion inspired landscaped plaza in the morning before the sun crests over the building, next to the plaza sculpture. Oh yeah scratch that. Never mind. 

speaking of Morocco Pavilion, they have the best/ healthiest food at Epcot me thinks...

On 7/13/2022 at 12:26 AM, eq1974 said:

This is news is great! I can sit in the Radius plaza and have a delicious cup of Taiwanese tea and watch the construction. Oh yeah scratch that. Never mind.  Been waiting for that one for over half a year. >Sigh<

New sign up as of Wednesday. I am preparing to unscratch.

71838FA8-0181-478E-A86F-7643B1F30E38.thumb.jpeg.a63987a80a0db191abed8ce5c1f23aa7.jpeg9E5B4669-B3C8-4BF8-A431-0EB66864AD50.thumb.jpeg.333af9455b7aabfdfcf1330706768cd7.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/22/2022 at 2:53 PM, eq1974 said:

Oh to have access to batteries and a new joystick so close…

Ah...a gamer...

On 7/22/2022 at 8:52 AM, eq1974 said:

New sign up as of Wednesday. I am preparing to unscratch.

71838FA8-0181-478E-A86F-7643B1F30E38.thumb.jpeg.a63987a80a0db191abed8ce5c1f23aa7.jpeg9E5B4669-B3C8-4BF8-A431-0EB66864AD50.thumb.jpeg.333af9455b7aabfdfcf1330706768cd7.jpeg

now this is fantastic...the first step...first place to open... but for the speedway between this and Skyhouse...this is great.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

When Fashion Square lost its Radio Shack, we should have known it was all downhill from there…

back at the turn of the decade (the only one that mattered...'79/'80, Radio Shack had all the cool stuff; their brand of electronics too; this was back when Sears, etc., slapped their names on Atari's and the like; back when electronics, computers, toys- walkie talkies, remote control cars, etc., were on an even keel from store to store with Da Shack having an edge.  Places like Eckerd Drugs and other stores had an assortment of electronics- walkman's, PC's, etc.) to compete.  Radio Shack was like Gamestop is to video games.  But then, within a few short years, Japanese stuff was getting the edge (Sony) and that became the standard for high quality electronics...and from that point, fast forward 15 years or so later, then Apple took over the Sony model and became the "standard" for their type of electronics and they became the trend setters.  Radio Shack then just faded little by little...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

back at the turn of the decade (the only one that mattered...'79/'80, Radio Shack had all the cool stuff; their brand of electronics too; this was back when Sears, etc., slapped their names on Atari's and the like; back when electronics, computers, toys- walkie talkies, remote control cars, etc., were on an even keel from store to store with Da Shack having an edge.  Places like Eckerd Drugs and other stores had an assortment of electronics- walkman's, PC's, etc.) to compete.  Radio Shack was like Gamestop is to video games.  But then, within a few short years, Japanese stuff was getting the edge (Sony) and that became the standard for high quality electronics...and from that point, fast forward 15 years or so later, then Apple took over the Sony model and became the "standard" for their type of electronics and they became the trend setters.  Radio Shack then just faded little by little...

RS brought a lot of that on themselves- remember Tandy. Clearly inferior products caught up to them quickly in a market that was evolving by the day. On top of that ebay became a source for home electronic geeks to DIY. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I notice the signs for "Duck and Drake", or I guess just "The Drake", are now up. (sorry no pics)

Prior to his public announcement he said he thought he'd be in by Christmas.  I guess he has met the City's building department and now realizes that ain't gonna happen.

Regardless, whenever it happens, this is a GREAT get for the area.

On 7/27/2022 at 7:59 PM, AmIReal said:

RS brought a lot of that on themselves- remember Tandy. Clearly inferior products caught up to them quickly in a market that was evolving by the day. On top of that ebay became a source for home electronic geeks to DIY. 

not to derail the thread on Radio Shack, I recall that Tandy and the TRS-80 had the school system contracts in the early 80's.  Then in the mid to late 80's IBM PC and PC Jr. got those contracts...at least in CFLA (to a point).  I think Commodore was in the school system down here as well.  So, yeah, there was a shift.  But they did carry a ton of third party electronics.  But I guess the mark up is much less for those.

19 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I guess he has met the City's building department and now realizes that ain't gonna happen.

Honest question here: Where does all this hate for the City planning/code department come from? When I've pulled residential permits, they've always been approved within 3 days and scheduling an inspector to come out never took more than a week.

Are business owners not hiring real architects to design their build-outs or contractors to handle paperwork? I've literally seen hand-drawn plans get approved with no fuss.

1 hour ago, orlandocity87 said:

Honest question here: Where does all this hate for the City planning/code department come from? When I've pulled residential permits, they've always been approved within 3 days and scheduling an inspector to come out never took more than a week.

Are business owners not hiring real architects to design their build-outs or contractors to handle paperwork? I've literally seen hand-drawn plans get approved with no fuss.

Depends on the project but most cites/counties can be painful. Personally, I think the biggest issue is having too many projects to review. Lots of these folks don't have the time to do a thorough review and give you BS comments to kick it to the next round. Sometimes it is a reviewer that does not know the code that well. Frankly, that still is related to being over worked. 

“Upon taking office, Mayor Buckhorn reshaped how City Hall does business by streamlining the permitting and regulatory process, and introducing international markets to Tampa’s small businesses. ”

I always wonder what y’all think a strong mayor actually does, because every suggestion ever made here gets the response that “Buddy has nothing to do with that.” The truth is, however, anything in the structure of city or staff, especially things that don’t work, should get direction from the mayor. Just like a general, he decides where to deploy the assets and then allows them to do the job. If this is a problem, run it up the flagpole to Buddy to fix it. If they’re overworked as @jacksays, then the budgets need to be adjusted and approved and more staff hired and trained.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/tampas-bob-buckhorn-to-speak-at-the-2022-great-cities

From The Jaxson 

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

“Upon taking office, Mayor Buckhorn reshaped how City Hall does business by streamlining the permitting and regulatory process, and introducing international markets to Tampa’s small businesses. ”

I always wonder what y’all think a strong mayor actually does, because every suggestion ever made here gets the response that “Buddy has nothing to do with that.” The truth is, however, anything in the structure of city or staff, especially things that don’t work, should get direction from the mayor. Just like a general, he decides where to deploy the assets and then allows them to do the job. If this is a problem, run it up the flagpole to Buddy to fix it. If they’re overworked as @jacksays, then the budgets need to be adjusted and approved and more staff hired and trained.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/tampas-bob-buckhorn-to-speak-at-the-2022-great-cities

From The Jaxson 

What does any of that ^^^ have to do with the architecture and design of downtown high rises, which is basically the only subject area I recall ever hearing it said that Buddy Dyer has nothing to do with. 

Maybe you can cite some examples?  

On 10/6/2022 at 7:57 PM, AmIReal said:

I notice the signs for "Duck and Drake", or I guess just "The Drake", are now up. (sorry no pics)

Prior to his public announcement he said he thought he'd be in by Christmas.  I guess he has met the City's building department and now realizes that ain't gonna happen.

Regardless, whenever it happens, this is a GREAT get for the area.

18EF5FEE-971B-4057-A09B-6F80DB2BE063.jpeg

F88AC849-3A06-42CB-9BE7-14538DBA159D.jpeg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, orlandocity87 said:

You ask any contractor that works in the region and city of Orlando is the absolute worst one to work with through permitting. Its incredibly slow and tedious. Contractors always ask if its city or county when bidding.

10 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

You ask any contractor that works in the region and city of Orlando is the absolute worst one to work with through permitting. Its incredibly slow and tedious. Contractors always ask if its city or county when bidding.

Back in the 90's when I used to handle building permits all over the state, Orange County was the one that gave me the biggest headaches. 

At one point, they even hired an independent contractor to come in and oversee the permitting dept to try to figure out why they were getting so many complaints.  

The City of Orlando was one of the easier ones back then.   

On 10/8/2022 at 12:53 PM, popsiclebrandon said:

On 10/8/2022 at 11:27 PM, JFW657 said:

Back in the 90's when I used to handle building permits all over the state, Orange County was the one that gave me the biggest headaches. 

At one point, they even hired an independent contractor to come in and oversee the permitting dept to try to figure out why they were getting so many complaints.  

The City of Orlando was one of the easier ones back then.   

Fair points.

Still, having worked with multiple contractors in Orlando—from small to substantial home projects, both for myself and others—I can say that my experience has ranged from disorganized amateurs to straight up conmen.