1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I see no reason to move the Grizzlies out of Memphis.  I'd rather Nashville be part of an NBA expansion than to move the Grizzlies from Memphis.  I'd rather Nashville have a team along with Memphis because I think it would be good for the state and it would be a great intrastate rivalry.

Don't move the Grizzlies to Nashville.  Move the LA Clippers to Nashville... :tw_glasses:

isn’t NBA viewership declining? I never hear anyone talking about the NBA anymore.

Formula 1 will take over Lower Broadway this month.

Eight-time Grand Prix winner Daniel Ricciardo will put on a showrun in the Oracle Red Bull Racing RB7 Formula 1 car on Oct. 14, down a temporary track between First and Fifth avenues.

Leading up to the first-of-its-kind event for Nashville, fans will have the chance to immerse themselves in the sport through activations and festivities.

On Oct. 13, Fifth + Broadway will be home to the Red Bull Showrun Nashville Fan Zone from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Fans can get inside of an F1 simulator and participate in the Red Bull Tryouts and Red Bull Pitstop challenge, all while getting a look at the RB18 F1 car.

Dierks Bentley’s Whiskey Row will transform into Danny Ric’s Honky Tonk on Oct. 13, when doors open at 7:30 p.m. All three levels and specialty drink offerings will be inspired by Ricciardo. Whiskey Jam will host live music for the event. 

On Oct. 14, "Activation Village" opens on the corner of Second Avenue and Broadway. 

Ricciardo and the Oracle Red Bull Racing team will take on Lower Broadway from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. The free event will also feature a stunt bike demo from street freestyle motorcyclist Aaron Colton and Scott Speed, a rally car champion and former F1 driver, will drive a Subaru rally car.

Attendees can watch the action along Lower Broadway in the free fan zones and on honky-tonk’s rooftop bars. Ear protection is recommended.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2023/10/04/formula-1-zooms-to-lower-broadway-event-calendar.html

• Like 2

This sounds like a really cool event. I'm sure the simulator will be an absolute zoo to get a seat in, but that would be siiiick to get into!

Daniel Riccardo loves the cowboy image and always play sit up when F1 comes to the US, specifically for their race at the Circuit of the Americas in Texas. Should be pretty cool.

• Like 1

I agree! Seems like they'd be fast-tracking something that needs to be completed for the next season. Oh wait! The home games are only 2/3 full and half (more) are from visiting teams.

As an alum, I've found it frustrating that VU hasn't attempted to support its football teams; first the school and now the fans. This is a good step, but as I hear all the time: This is the price for staying in the SEC. Even I've stopped going to games but that has as much to do with having to care for an elderly aunt and the fact I now choose NOT to drive to Nashville via I-24. Seems like they've been riding sidecar on the fact they're a charter member of the SEC and appear happy just taking in their share (who wouldn't be?). I like Coach Lea, but I think he's missing huge opportunity by not going to the transfer porthole to get 3rd/4th year good backup players from other schools .... many of them already graduates with eligibility.  So they can enroll in a lame graduate program. 

I get Lea's point... that he's building culture from the ground up, but we'll see how that works out (Ray Davis sought out a better culture/actually team).  Granted most transfers wouldn't want to play for a loser if they have their eyes on NFL... but it's a good place to get a graduate degree and there are certain gems available. At least they might be able to beat Wake Forest with bigger better players. Plus, fans may actually want to come see the games again. Maybe even I'll get up there after I retire and TDOT expands I-24! I've long thought it'd be best if Vandy takes a buyout (a huge one.... like $500 million over 8-10 years) and see if they could trade places with UNC/Clemson/FSU in the ACC, which has a  bad longterm TV contract. Anyway... they'll never do it. 

• Like 2

I have no inside knowledge, but this is not a typical office/residential project. It's also trying to get done while allowing games (and some degree of practices?) to happen while construction is ongoing. I get the feeling that Vandy didn't include incentives for finishing quickly (or penalties for not).   Maybe it supply issues?  Some contractors are flying through projects while others seem to be dragging their feet. The 12th & Gilmore project is moving glacially slow while the "12 South Collection" and 12th & Ashwood seem to fly.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Nashville Kats Arena Football League team's first game will be April 27, 2024 at Municipal Auditorium.  Tickets are expected to go on sale before the holidays.

The new AFL will feature 12 teams with the other 11 being the Oregon Blackbears, Iowa Rampage, Wichita Regulators, Salina Liberty, the Southwest Kansas Story, Rapid City Marshalls, Albany Firebirds, Washington Wolfpack, Orlando Predators, Billings Outlaws and West Texas Desert Hawks.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/football/arena-footballs-nashville-kats-scheduled-to-start-in-2024/article_f87ff514-7c3e-11ee-8102-cb3406f28b95.html

• Like 2

14 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Nashville Kats Arena Football League team's first game will be April 27, 2024 at Municipal Auditorium.  Tickets are expected to go on sale before the holidays.

The new AFL will feature 12 teams with the other 11 being the Oregon Blackbears, Iowa Rampage, Wichita Regulators, Salina Liberty, the Southwest Kansas Story, Rapid City Marshalls, Albany Firebirds, Washington Wolfpack, Orlando Predators, Billings Outlaws and West Texas Desert Hawks.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/football/arena-footballs-nashville-kats-scheduled-to-start-in-2024/article_f87ff514-7c3e-11ee-8102-cb3406f28b95.html

Why are there three teams in Kansas?  Seems like a recipe for success.  lol

11 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Why are there three teams in Kansas?  Seems like a recipe for success.  lol

I don't know why Kanas specifically but travel is a huge burden for small-time leagues so it's beneficial to have teams relatively close to each other.

Most of the indoor football leagues are regional in nature and this reincarnation of the AFL seems to have pulled from the Midwestern ones (unlike the Kats, most of the announced teams have been operational recently).

Indoor/arena football is interesting because there have been a number of coexisting leagues with similar levels of investment/talent since the original AFL folded. Aside from the regional nature of the leagues many teams will jump ship from one league to another after the season is over. Very similar to college football conferences. Some of the leagues will also schedule against each other or play exhibitions.

• Thanks 1

Brentwood: CrushYard will open a 33,000 sq. foot pickleball facility at Brentwood Place on Franklin Rd. in January of 2025. It will feature eight courts, a full bar and a lower and mezzanine dining area with seating for 460 people. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/dining/2023/11/10/crush-yard-pickleball-facility-williamson-county-planned-2025/71508328007/

Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 6.13.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 8.43.49 AM.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

They should have bitten the bullet and built an entirely new stadium with a lower tier below grade similar to Nissan stadium.

That would have lent itself better to further expansion in the future.

But then again, if they keep having 2-10 seasons like this year, there won't be any need. 

On the other hand, a brand new stadium could have helped with recruiting-I say maybe.

One position they don't need help with in recruiting is the punter-the current one is in the running for punter of the year.

They always have good punters at Vandy for obvious reasons.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, bnacincy said:

They should have bitten the bullet and built an entirely new stadium with a lower tier below grade similar to Nissan stadium.

That would have lent itself better to further expansion in the future.

But then again, if they keep having 2-10 seasons like this year, there won't be any need. 

On the other hand, a brand new stadium could have helped with recruiting-I say maybe.

One position they don't need help with in recruiting is the punter-the current one is in the running for punter of the year.

They always have good punters at Vandy for obvious reasons.

Finally, someone who agrees with me. A massive waste of money on Vandy's part.  They put a very expensive band aid on a very ugly scar. The seats will still be hard to sit in for the most part.

• Like 3