5 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

This is kind of premature but since it will be a frequent topic for the next couple of weeks I will post anyway. One of my bored-at-work projects over the past year has been working on a layout for a semi-permanent street circuit around the East Bank area. Thing is, I have not been bored at work for the past year, so all I have is a line drawing (although the background homework is done).

The idea is to create a semi-permanent circuit that consists of (mostly) public streets but has the geometry and permanent features approximating a permanent circuit. I completely ignored the East Bank study and did what I wanted to do with the PSC Metals site and the spine road (this one uses the existing streets and simply adds curves around Nissan Stadium). The corner complexes within PSC Metals and the parking lot near the Bridge Building are somewhat arbitrary but are based on redevelopments of the areas and some street realignments. It's overall less of an impact to the existing street network than shown in the East Bank study (meaning less money spent on utility relocation and realignments) but achieves the same core goals of recreating the street grid and producing a spine street.

But enough about dumb planners. Run clockwise at 2.42 miles and 14 corners / complexes this circuit:

• Is flat as a pancake and very long/fast for a street circuit;
  • Has two major overtaking opportunities (Bridge Building and under KVB) and three more (first turn, through PSC site, under I-24) that should be pretty good;
  • Can be split into one or two smaller circuits for support races;
  • Provides plenty of areas for temporary and semi-permanent grandstand seating on public land but off ROW, including a race paddock building in front of Nissan Stadium;
  • Does not touch any arterial street (namely KVB), leaving the major street grid intact and open through race weekends; and
  • (most importantly) Provides the same vistas and feel of the existing circuit without being hot garbage for actual racing.

It's not NASCAR down Lower Broadway but I guess it will do.

eastbankstreetcircuit.jpg

Could you include a ramp and river jump?  That would make our race very unique. :tw_glasses:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

This is kind of premature but since it will be a frequent topic for the next couple of weeks I will post anyway. One of my bored-at-work projects over the past year has been working on a layout for a semi-permanent street circuit around the East Bank area. Thing is, I have not been bored at work for the past year, so all I have is a line drawing (although the background homework is done).

The idea is to create a semi-permanent circuit that consists of (mostly) public streets but has the geometry and permanent features approximating a permanent circuit. I completely ignored the East Bank study and did what I wanted to do with the PSC Metals site and the spine road (this one uses the existing streets and simply adds curves around Nissan Stadium). The corner complexes within PSC Metals and the parking lot near the Bridge Building are somewhat arbitrary but are based on redevelopments of the areas and some street realignments. It's overall less of an impact to the existing street network than shown in the East Bank study (meaning less money spent on utility relocation and realignments) but achieves the same core goals of recreating the street grid and producing a spine street.

But enough about dumb planners. Run clockwise at 2.42 miles and 14 corners / complexes this circuit:

• Is flat as a pancake and very long/fast for a street circuit;
  • Has two major overtaking opportunities (Bridge Building and under KVB) and three more (first turn, through PSC site, under I-24) that should be pretty good;
  • Can be split into one or two smaller circuits for support races;
  • Provides plenty of areas for temporary and semi-permanent grandstand seating on public land but off ROW, including a race paddock building in front of Nissan Stadium;
  • Does not touch any arterial street (namely KVB), leaving the major street grid intact and open through race weekends; and
  • (most importantly) Provides the same vistas and feel of the existing circuit without being hot garbage for actual racing.

It's not NASCAR down Lower Broadway but I guess it will do.

eastbankstreetcircuit.jpg

This looks like a fourth US based F1 race.

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Nashville is reported to be the frontrunner to host the 2023 NHL Draft. It was last held here in 2003.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/preds/nashville-reported-frontrunner-to-host-2023-nhl-draft/article_e34cb0a0-0dfa-11ed-ade9-af6b505feab7.html

Oh man, quite the different experience downtown from then to now!

On 7/30/2022 at 7:00 PM, Sean blackdog said:

Today this evening. 
I’m at Nissan Stadium for Summer Slam 2022 

52D08762-0B59-42EC-B783-01F9DBBEED08.jpeg

4040131E-C3F1-4A9F-969C-9AD2E4F119C6.jpeg

3248089A-613C-4F89-B7C8-547013938CBF.jpeg

Anyone else find it humorous that there’s a tiny little ring in the middle of a huge football stadium packed with people who can only see what’s happening on a big screen?

15 hours ago, titanhog said:

Anyone else find it humorous that there’s a tiny little ring in the middle of a huge football stadium packed with people who can only see what’s happening on a big screen?

I agree. Then again it is not for me. I also don't spend 100's of dollars on tickets to go see concerts with a small stage (relative to the field) and I can only see the musicians via the large screens

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

I agree. Then again it is not for me. I also don't spend 100's of dollars on tickets to go see concerts with a small stage (relative to the field) and I can only see the musicians via the large screens

More about the experience. We went to the Vols game at Bristol and it was not very good for watching the actual game, but it was pretty awesome. 

Once was enough though, for sure. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

More about the experience. We went to the Vols game at Bristol and it was not very good for watching the actual game, but it was pretty awesome. 

Once was enough though, for sure. 

I could not imagine as I have driven in the track there. I think the infield is big enough to have two football games at once.

23 minutes ago, Sean blackdog said:

FD087027-AD82-490B-B63F-582C209F5C9B.jpeg

The pit road exit is still a real head scratcher to me. The fact the race track must slow down for a chicane (red line) while the pitting cars have a straight shot out ()blue line) is just weird and should be kind of the opposite. Last year there was an issue with a wreck in the similar area and the cars that pitted had to be stopped because they would've beaten the pace car and cars that remained on track. 

image.thumb.png.e848e6a7ea28e4582c582791408a8121.png