NC Civil Rights

southslider

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we stop hoping that something extreme happens to NC that forced them to repeal it? How about the voters pressure their representatives and protest the capitol? I don't want NC to suffer any from this bill at all no matter how bad it makes the bill, McCrory, or the state gov't look.

22 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Can we stop hoping that something extreme happens to NC that forced them to repeal it? How about the voters pressure their representatives and protest the capitol? I don't want NC to suffer any from this bill at all no matter how bad it makes the bill, McCrory, or the state gov't look.

The issue is some of the biggest and most powerful problem children (Tim Moore, Phil Berger) are running opposed so the voters can't really do much. Best the voters can do is get rid of Pat and gain a few Dem seats...

5 hours ago, Jayvee said:

The issue is some of the biggest and most powerful problem children (Tim Moore, Phil Berger) are running opposed so the voters can't really do much. Best the voters can do is get rid of Pat and gain a few Dem seats...

ALL Republicans need to feel your opposition including the entire state council and Senator Burr. Each and every one could be taking a stand against HB2 but are not. Let them know this is deal breaker.   

3 hours ago, vicupstate said:

ALL Republicans need to feel your opposition including the entire state council and Senator Burr. Each and every one could be taking a stand against HB2 but are not. Let them know this is deal breaker.   

How? News flash: the "people" don't really have a voice.  

48 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

How? News flash: the "people" don't really have a voice.  

I already said the 'how', vote the entire slate of Republicans out of office.  This is an inexcusable exercise in governing.  Losing at the ballot box will send them a message they will actually listen to.   

I'm not sure what the exact breakdown is but something like 1/3 of the state legislature seats are unopposed this year. That's doesn't give voters any chance to make a big difference unless someone comes out of nowhere. A problem to say the least. 

23 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

I already said the 'how', vote the entire slate of Republicans out of office.  This is an inexcusable exercise in governing.  Losing at the ballot box will send them a message they will actually listen to.   

Yeah but your "how" is one of the more unrealistic things I've ever heard. There is no realistic "how" as the system is so rigged, especially here in NC, to favor the interests of who's in power and the $$

38 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Yeah but your "how" is one of the more unrealistic things I've ever heard. There is no realistic "how" as the system is so rigged, especially here in NC, to favor the interests of who's in power and the $$

Statewide races are not gerrymandered. That is a cop out. In a huge GOP year Kay Hagan barely lost. Now that all those that were duped into believing McCrory was a moderate, now know he is just doing Art Pope's bidding.   Turnout will be higher in a Presidential election year.  There is no reason not to turn them out of office.    

WTActualF?

HB2 cited in allowing Rowan-Salisbury high schoolers to carry Mace, pepper spray on campus here: 

"

High school students in the Rowan-Salisbury Schools can take Mace and pepper spray to school beginning in August. One school board member said the weapon could help ward off an attack in a girl’s bathroom as debate rages over North Carolina’s HB2 law and which bathrooms transgender students should use.

“Depending on how the courts rule on the bathroom issues, it may be a pretty valuable tool to have on the female students if they go to the bathroom, not knowing who may come in,” board member Chuck Hughes said in referencing concerns about HB2, according to the Salisbury Post.

"

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article76920717.html

21 hours ago, HopHead said:

I'm not really struggling with facts and opinions at all. Have you even noticed the hits economically this state has taken? Aside from being criticized nationally, we've already lost millions of dollars because of cancelled events, job announcements pulled, etc. Name one positive thing that HB2 has done? And lining lawyers pockets with money doesn't count. Heck, Donald Trump even criticized HB2 if that tells you how stupid it is...

What has already happened has been bad. I fear NC will suffer more going forward. My fear of continued suffering is no guarantee it will happen. My only point here really is I'm hoping NC DOESN'T suffer going forward. I don't want the state to suffer just to send a message. It seems that some are HOPING (not saying this is you) that NC suffers because they are willing to cut off their nose to spite their face.

3 hours ago, grodney said:

WTActualF?

HB2 cited in allowing Rowan-Salisbury high schoolers to carry Mace, pepper spray on campus here: 

"

High school students in the Rowan-Salisbury Schools can take Mace and pepper spray to school beginning in August. One school board member said the weapon could help ward off an attack in a girl’s bathroom as debate rages over North Carolina’s HB2 law and which bathrooms transgender students should use.

“Depending on how the courts rule on the bathroom issues, it may be a pretty valuable tool to have on the female students if they go to the bathroom, not knowing who may come in,” board member Chuck Hughes said in referencing concerns about HB2, according to the Salisbury Post.

"

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article76920717.html

Funny, I was just talking about this with some colleagues at lunch. This is a really bad idea. What I found so absurd is that the logic connecting this with HB2. It sounds to me like this board supports HB2. So, if they think this law is so great, presumably because it protects women, then why the need to go further and allow female students to be armed with mace or pepper spray. Isn't HB2 supposed to save women and children everywhere?

Then again, I guess it makes as much sense as the logic that there are men out there who are willing to commit the crime of rape or sexual assault but are somehow stopped by a rule that says they shouldn't enter a women's restroom.

3 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Statewide races are not gerrymandered. That is a cop out. In a huge GOP year Kay Hagan barely lost. Now that all those that were duped into believing McCrory was a moderate, now know he is just doing Art Pope's bidding.   Turnout will be higher in a Presidential election year.  There is no reason not to turn them out of office.    

Well, of course the statewide races are not gerrymandered. But that still doesn't fix the issue with the NCGA, which are gerrymandered. Having the governorship and lieutenant governorship flipped to the Democrats will be a nice start, but nothing changes if the Republicans in the NCGA maintain their veto-proof majority. And even if Democrats break that majority, the NCGA will be gridlocked until the next election in 2018, just like the U.S. House of Representatives. 

I assume folks have heard about this:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2016/04/26/lt-governor-open-to-passing-texas-bathroom-bill.html

My condensed opinion of the local issue is that Charlotte erred in including the bathroom language in the otherwise mostly uncontroversial nondiscrimination bill (knowing the real possibility of a disproportionate reaction from the GA) and the GA and Governor erred in not narrowly addressing the bathroom portion of the bill.  I'm sure many will disagree, which is fine.  

I do find it interesting that Texas (obviously attracting a lot of business relocations, mostly booming economy) would consider this in light of the fallout in NC.  According to the guest on an NPR program this afternoon, not unlikely that this will happen (though business interests are opposed, as the article confirms).  If it happens in TX, does that take the pressure off?  Does that embolden other states also?  Not suggesting it's a worthwhile issue to be focused on but for narrowly parochial interests only, other states (and not MS but a powerhouse like TX) doing similar things would appear to give us cover.  Obviously, those who feel deeply that it's a civil rights issue won't view that as good news...   

25 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

Well, of course the statewide races are not gerrymandered. But that still doesn't fix the issue with the NCGA, which are gerrymandered. Having the governorship and lieutenant governorship flipped to the Democrats will be a nice start, but nothing changes if the Republicans in the NCGA maintain their veto-proof majority. And even if Democrats break that majority, the NCGA will be gridlocked until the next election in 2018, just like the U.S. House of Representatives. 

Yes, obviously you would want to gain enough seats to get a veto proof chamber, but the point is that you want them to suffer the highest consequences possible. THAT WILL have an impact. Politicians always have a finger in the air, so you want them to have pause and seek a compromise so they don't have to real that wrath again.  

52 minutes ago, jednc said:

Funny, I was just talking about this with some colleagues at lunch. This is a really bad idea. What I found so absurd is that the logic connecting this with HB2. It sounds to me like this board supports HB2. So, if they think this law is so great, presumably because it protects women, then why the need to go further and allow female students to be armed with mace or pepper spray. Isn't HB2 supposed to save women and children everywhere?

Then again, I guess it makes as much sense as the logic that there are men out there who are willing to commit the crime of rape or sexual assault but are somehow stopped by a rule that says they shouldn't enter a women's restroom.

Brilliant post.  Well said.

At lunch I accidentally walked into the women's bathroom at a restaurant. Nothing was stopping me from doing this, hell it was around a corner, and din't even have a door. Good news guys! No women were harmed!

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

At lunch I accidentally walked into the women's bathroom at a restaurant. Nothing was stopping me from doing this, hell it was around a corner, and din't even have a door. Good news guys! No women were harmed!

HOW COULD YOU RDF!?!???

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, JBS said:

My condensed opinion of the local issue is that Charlotte erred in including the bathroom language in the otherwise mostly uncontroversial nondiscrimination bill (knowing the real possibility of a disproportionate reaction from the GA) and the GA and Governor erred in not narrowly addressing the bathroom portion of the bill.  I'm sure many will disagree, which is fine.  

I second this... BTW. I don't care which bathroom someone uses and support the repeal of the bill, but why pick a battle you know you're guaranteed to lose? In my opinion it's short sighted. Baby steps is better than backward steps. 

4 hours ago, JBS said:

I assume folks have heard about this:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2016/04/26/lt-governor-open-to-passing-texas-bathroom-bill.html

I do find it interesting that Texas (obviously attracting a lot of business relocations, mostly booming economy) would consider this in light of the fallout in NC.  According to the guest on an NPR program this afternoon, not unlikely that this will happen (though business interests are opposed, as the article confirms).  If it happens in TX, does that take the pressure off?  Does that embolden other states also?  Not suggesting it's a worthwhile issue to be focused on but for narrowly parochial interests only, other states (and not MS but a powerhouse like TX) doing similar things would appear to give us cover.  Obviously, those who feel deeply that it's a civil rights issue won't view that as good news...   

I worry about this too.  During the last Legislature session (2015) the ultra conservative wing of the Republican party brought this up, but thankfully the moderate pro-business  "Chamber of Commerce" Republicans shot it down quickly.  But I think it will come up again in the next session (2017).  The religious conservatives in the rural areas don't give a damn if it affects business in the big cities.  Fortunately the Texas Legislature only meets for five months every two years, so new laws are not made that often.

23 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Something extreme is already happening. The states economy is melting down. Wont see that reflected on Q1 or Q2, but you sure as ever will see it on Q3 and beyond. Nobody is hoping for anything bad, just got to face reality of the magnitude of the damage he has inflicted on the entire state. 

70% sure education funding gets cut or the department doesn't acknowledge him within 48 hours. 

Fun fact: Guess who payed for his trips these past few weeks? NC Citizens. Classy guy. 

On 5/10/2016 at 2:44 PM, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Liberals have never slipped anything into a bill...rolls eyes...hypocrites

IF it wasn't for the liberals North Carolina would have a economy resembling South Carolina. Textile and manufacturing, very few high paying jobs there. 

Archived