NC Civil Rights

southslider

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/5/2016 at 7:20 AM, Jayvee said:

I see this being the case too. But doesn't HB2 hurt these guys in the election more than help? It will almost assuredly lose them the gov position. Or does that not matter because the house and senate will maintain their seats and overrule any of Coopers vetos??

It may hurt them with some suburban Republicans. But by and large, their seats in the NC House and Senate are safe. And even NC 39-Bob Rucho's seat- isn't suddenly going to flip to the Democrats.

I see this going to a courtroom brawl because there's really no reason for Berger, et al to give an inch. 

Whining about judicial overreach is usually an electoral winner for Republicans, especially in their safely gerrymandered seats.

Never mind the clanging irony of their whine.

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Fake. Fake. Fake. Always check the URL

My prediction: nothing will happen with HB2 and the NCGA will let all that money disappear. 

I don't think the money will evaporate on Tuesday, though it may be frozen.

I think the DOJ sues North Carolina up one side and down the other.

In my fondest dreams, Berger, Moore and every other drawling dimwit who voted for this bowel movement of a bill is sued in personam up one side and down the other.

Of course, that cannot happen. But still...

On 5/5/2016 at 1:03 PM, cltbwimob said:

Silly all of us for thinking that rationality would prevail given NCs group of elected officials.

I watched the Tim Moore interview and was just beside myself in anger the entire time, especially when he said that the Feds giving them to Monday was not enough time to craft a response.  At that point I was thinking "Really you hypocritical Motherf---er?  It only took you and your band of merry men one day to convene a special session, 'debate' HB2, pass it, and have it signed into law by McCrory.  But now there is not enough time to react?"  He also parroted the "federal government overreach" line at which point my blood pressure rose to 300/200. Considering the entire time the reichpublicans have been in control of the state government has been characterized by vast overreach I was appalled that he could even say that with a straight face.  But I should have known-in the land of the irrational, hypocritical behavior/speak is just a fact of life.  

Charlotte needs to secede from NC now if she ever hopes to save herself from these @$$holes.

#secedeCharlotte

Unfortunately, the federal government has the ability to print money. And so, since FDR, whereby the states became radically dependent upon the money from the feds,  the states have to do whatever the Federal government wants - good or bad. 

This happened in the 60s with segregation. This happened in the 70s, with the Federal government making Louisiana change its drinking age if they wanted DOT money. The feds don't have to do anything except cut off the spigot. The same happens elsewhere - see US foreign policy....we sure care about all your starving people, but we are only going to give you money if you do abstinence only education, or if only you decriminalize homosexuality. (You see here the issue doesn't matter, only whether or not you will obey the Federal Govt.).

I certainly don't think this issue merits it, but at some point, someone will say enough. Either they will get their money from elsewhere - foreign loans, legalizing drugs and charging sin taxes ( how would that be for mcCrorey? pretty hilarious right. Since Obama refuses to change the law on marijuana or enforce it, make it legal in NC and tax it. Lower the alcohol age to 17, and see how many people from SC and Virginia cross the line.....the Emerald coast just stole all of Myrtle Beach's Spring breakers!) levying some other tax - or just saying screw it. We'll go broke, we will call your bluff, and we will wait the federal govt out. And in the meantime, we are willing to be the biggest pain in the ass you can get. 

It won't happen here - because this issue is ultimately stupid. And because most people don't have the resolve....and North Carolina doesn't have the natural resources to do this. 

But while I am sure that Obama wants to cement his legacy as a great progressive, I'm also rather sure he doesn't want to have that legacy be that he completely impoverished one state to teach it a lesson in how to take care of people who are confused about the meaning of body parts.

Michael Jordan to North Carolina: 'HB2 Goes or the Charlotte Hornets Go'

“With this new law in place, North Carolina currently does not have any anti-discrimination protection in place, something that is vital, not just for our fans but for everyone,” Jordan told reporters. “We are giving the state of North Carolina 30 days to repeal this law or they can expect the the Charlotte Hornets to play elsewhere. I want to make it clear that the Hornets and myself will not stand for this type of intolerance and hate.” "

“We are currently in talks with certain individuals in the cities of San Francisco and Austin just to name a few,” Horner said. “We sincerely hope it does not come to moving the team, but in the event North Carolina does not revoke the law, we must be prepared for the worse.” "

35 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Michael Jordan to North Carolina: 'HB2 Goes or the Charlotte Hornets Go'

“With this new law in place, North Carolina currently does not have any anti-discrimination protection in place, something that is vital, not just for our fans but for everyone,” Jordan told reporters. “We are giving the state of North Carolina 30 days to repeal this law or they can expect the the Charlotte Hornets to play elsewhere. I want to make it clear that the Hornets and myself will not stand for this type of intolerance and hate.” "

“We are currently in talks with certain individuals in the cities of San Francisco and Austin just to name a few,” Horner said. “We sincerely hope it does not come to moving the team, but in the event North Carolina does not revoke the law, we must be prepared for the worse.” "

See RiverwoodCLT's he posted the exact same FAKE news article from a fake website. 

1 hour ago, mpretori said:

Im sorry, Pat is a douche. These revelations are damning for the governor and shows his doesn't care for anybody but himself. SHAME ON HIM! 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article76284772.html 

The Governor is done and he knows it.  In one of the articles I read a few days ago he made a comment that he might be looking for a side job soon.  The sad thing is that even though he will likely not win his reelection bid, his presumed loss to Roy Cooper will do nothing to change things unless some of the seats in the legislature flip.  If the Republicans still have supermajorities in both houses after November, then rest assured Cooper will get steamrolled just as McCrory has.  The only difference is that Cooper will get flattened while standing up to the GA.  Spineless McCrory decided to try to go along with their BS and still got pancaked.

So, apparently, there is word that Mayor Roberts and members of the NCGA had a meeting Thursday about making a compromise on H.B.2. Charlotte would vote to repeal its ordinance, and in exchange, the NCGA would change parts of H.B.2 to satisfy the federal government. There are no other details besides what the Observer is reporting. There is also no guarantee Charlotte would agree to this.

Jennifer Roberts, Republican leaders cautiously explore HB2 deal 

I guess Pat hasn't decided to stop digging yet.

He had a great opportunity to extricate us from this stupidity but he choose to amplify our idiocy to the rest of the world. 

We are now the Alabama of the new millennium. (I would not be at all surprised to see McCory standing at the women's room door in Old East in Chapel Hill next week)

Just when we thought McCrory and the NCGA couldn't look any more stupid, they do this... Unbelievable. It would have been OK to punt, Pat. But no, you had to F this up even more. Get ready for more economic bleeding. 

Does anyone have any idea of an estimated timeline for this lawsuit filed by McCrory as well as the ACLU lawsuit?  I look forward to the day when we can move past this discriminatory and hateful law and begin to focus on picking up the pieces of the NC economy. 

6 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

I'm thinking Catawba College ignored 1960s Alabama gubernatorial history.

I was just getting ready to say we should start calling Pat Governor McWallace.  It is beyond embarrassing that our governor and state will be to the LGBTQ rights movement what George Wallace and Alabama were to the civil rights movement.

25 minutes ago, grodney said:

As Jeff Jackson pointed out on Twitter, this is a good way to lose quickly and end the HB2 mess without having to take any blame.

Interesting thought. You think this is calculated by McCrory as a knowingly losing battle. So that it's the Feds that killed HB2 not him? Very interesting. 

Archived