NC Civil Rights

southslider

54 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article75601912.html

this is enormous. If this doesn't move the needle nothing will. We needed the rural areas to get hit. This will hit them. I'm willing to bet a lot of rural areas ENTIRELY rely on federal funding for schools. 

Each local education agency (LEA) gets about 10% of its funding from the Federal Government. The rest is made up of mostly state funds. Local funds are added mostly in the form of supplemental pay for teachers/employees. This is true for the most rural systems and CMS alike. This is how NC does it anyway.

However, if you still want to bet....PM me. I could use the money since I'm paid by the above system.

Pg. 72 of the document I've linked to is the source.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

If the state wants to play hard ball on this, we could lose $861 million  in education funds and  we could see up to 1.5 Billion or short fall in tax revenue or more.   I do not see how NC can afford KB2.

Default/state-wide recession incoming left unchanged. 

From The Daily Kos, Wednesday, May 4, 2016  --  http://www.dailykos.com/

Eleveld_Pic_Color.JPG?1455658551
Wednesday May 04, 2016 · 5:01 PM EDT

WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 23:  North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory holds a news conference with fellow members of the Republican Governors Association at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce February 23, 2015 in Washington, DC. Republican and  Democratic governor

The U.S. Department of Justice has unequivocally upended one of North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory’s first promises to his constituents: That the discriminatory HB2 law would not jeopardize federal education funding to the state. In a letter to McCrory Wednesday, a Justice Department official called HB2 “facially discriminatory” against transgender individuals and said the department had determined the law violates both Title VII and Title IX of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Jim Morrill reports on the recent development:

The department gave state officials until Monday to address the situation “by confirming that the State will not comply with or implement HB2.

The letter says HB2, which pre-empted Charlotte’s anti-discrimination ordinance, violates Title IX of the Civil Rights Act, which bars discrimination in education based on sex.

If that determination is upheld, North Carolina could lose millions in federal school funding. During the current school year, state public schools received $861 million in federal funding.

This story is still developing ...

Default incoming :( 

Governors reply: 

“A claim by the Obama administration charges that one part of House Bill 2, which requires state employees in public government buildings and students in our universities to use a restroom, locker room and shower facility that match their biological sex, is now in violation of federal law. The Obama administration has not only staked out its position for North Carolina, but for all states, universities and most employers in the U.S.

“The right and expectation of privacy in one of the most private areas of our personal lives is now in jeopardy. We will be reviewing to determine the next steps.”

2 hours ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

Guess who is behind the 8 ball now?  McCrory & NC GA.  When they were writing HB2,  didn't they known that NC laws can not conflict with Federal law.

You would think, and yet...

8 hours ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

Guess who is behind the 8 ball now?  McCrory & NC GA.  When they were writing HB2,  didn't they known that NC laws can not conflict with Federal law.

I am sure that they were very aware of this yet this is the hand they played. It's an election year and they decided to use one of the good ole right wing fear tactics right out of the Karl Rove playbook. Hell, they are even now able to drag Obamas name into this, just what they wanted. Be prepared for six months of ads about how Cooper/Obama don't care about the children of North Carolina.

58 minutes ago, eastsider said:

I am sure that they were very aware of this yet this is the hand they played. It's an election year and they decided to use one of the good ole right wing fear tactics right out of the Karl Rove playbook. Hell, they are even now able to drag Obamas name into this, just what they wanted. Be prepared for six months of ads about how Cooper/Obama don't care about the children of North Carolina.

100% Correct. 

From THE NEW YORK TIMES Front Page, Thursday, May 5, 2016   

Right click,open link in new tab at:  http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/us/north-carolina-transgender-bathroom-bill.html

U.S. Warns North Carolina That Transgender Bill Violates Civil Rights Laws

By ERIC LICHTBLAU and RICHARD FAUSSET  MAY 4, 2016

Photo
05justice-web-master768.jpg

Protesters rallied outside the Capitol against House Bill 2 in Raleigh, N.C., last month.  CreditRay Whitehouse for The New York Times

EXCERPTS:

Matt McTighe, executive director of Freedom for All Americans, an L.G.B.T. rights group, said in a statement Wednesday that “actions have consequences, and Governor McCrory and his legislative allies are now paying the price for this anti-transgender law that they so hurriedly enacted.

“HB2 is a solution in a search of a problem that simply doesn’t exist, and lawmakers must take immediate action to fully repeal it,” he said. “The state’s economy and reputation have suffered enough, and now students all across the state stand to lose out on nearly $1 billion in critical funding because of HB2. The livelihoods of North Carolina’s families are at stake, and there is no excuse for inaction.”

15 hours ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

If the state wants to play hard ball on this, we could lose $861 million  in education funds and  we could see up to 1.5 Billion or short fall in tax revenue or more.   I do not see how NC can afford KB2.

It can't.

That doesn't mean Berger, et al won't fight it tooth and nail until November 8.

In fact, I'm beginning to think the whole thing is a perfectly gamed-out kabuki, each pol playing his or her role, until November 8.

On November 9, Berger, et al will suddenly acquiesce to the DOJ.

And HB2 will vanish like the morning dew.

56 minutes ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

It can't.

That doesn't mean Berger, et al won't fight it tooth and nail until November 8.

In fact, I'm beginning to think the whole thing is a perfectly gamed-out kabuki, each pol playing his or her role, until November 8.

On November 9, Berger, et al will suddenly acquiesce to the DOJ.

And HB2 will vanish like the morning dew.

I see this being the case too. But doesn't HB2 hurt these guys in the election more than help? It will almost assuredly lose them the gov position. Or does that not matter because the house and senate will maintain their seats and overrule any of Coopers vetos??

27 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

I see this being the case too. But doesn't HB2 hurt these guys in the election more than help? It will almost assuredly lose them the gov position. Or does that not matter because the house and senate will maintain their seats and overrule any of Coopers vetos??

It's pretty risky on their part. Democrats simply need to pick up a few seats to break their veto-proof majority, which seems realistic, especially if many people are going out to vote against Trump/McCrory. Rural areas won't budge, but traditionally red suburbs like south Charlotte could flip this election, which doesn't bode well for future elections.

NC won’t meet Obama administration’s Monday deadline on House Bill 2, House speaker says

“We will take no action by Monday,” Moore told reporters Thursday. “That deadline will come and go. We don’t ever want to lose any money, but we’re not going to get bullied by the Obama administration to take action prior to Monday’s date. That’s not how this works

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article75797387.html?utm_content=buffer83b52&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

3 hours ago, Jayvee said:

HAHAHAHAH so silly of me to think the federal government would be the thing that moves the needle http://buff.ly/24ut7z8

Silly all of us for thinking that rationality would prevail given NCs group of elected officials.

I watched the Tim Moore interview and was just beside myself in anger the entire time, especially when he said that the Feds giving them to Monday was not enough time to craft a response.  At that point I was thinking "Really you hypocritical Motherf---er?  It only took you and your band of merry men one day to convene a special session, 'debate' HB2, pass it, and have it signed into law by McCrory.  But now there is not enough time to react?"  He also parroted the "federal government overreach" line at which point my blood pressure rose to 300/200. Considering the entire time the reichpublicans have been in control of the state government has been characterized by vast overreach I was appalled that he could even say that with a straight face.  But I should have known-in the land of the irrational, hypocritical behavior/speak is just a fact of life.  

Charlotte needs to secede from NC now if she ever hopes to save herself from these @$$holes.

I just stumbled across a promoted tweet from Civitas (an Art Pope funded joint) asking people to sign a petition that says "we reject federal blackmail." The text of the petition says that the signers "reject federal funding if it puts our privacy and safety at risk." So it really does sound like the puppet masters plan was use HB2 to gut funding for all levels of education in NC.

gezzus.

From The Washington Post, May 5, 2016  -- Click on link below:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/the-latest-charlotte-mayor-meets-with-n-carolina-lawmakers/2016/05/05/1981dd12-12f8-11e6-a9b5-bf703a5a7191_story.html

National

The Latest: UNC could lose $1.4

billion over due to LGBT law

APTOPIXLGBTRightsNorthCarolina-34556.jpg
North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory pauses while making comments concerning House Bill 2 during a government affairs conference in Raleigh, N.C., Wednesday, May 4, 2016. A North Carolina law limiting protections to LGBT people violates federal civil rights laws and can’t be enforced, the U.S. Justice Department said Wednesday, putting the state on notice that it is in danger of being sued and losing hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funding. (Gerry Broome/Associated Press)
By Associated Press May 5 at 5:05 PM

EXCERPTS:

"RALEIGH, N.C. — North Carolina’s prized public universities risk losing more than $1.4 billion a year in federal funds if Republican state lawmakers don’t change a new law limiting the rights of LGBT people."

"The U.S. Justice Department wants University of North Carolina officials to say by Monday that transgender people can use UNC restrooms aligning with their gender identity. The government says the universities and other state agencies are violating federal anti-discrimination laws."

"UNC President Margaret Spellings has said that while public universities would comply with the law, she hopes legislators change it."

The former law school dean at nearby Duke University, Katharine Bartlett, says the potential loss of this federal money means Washington is holding a very big stick."

From The New York Times, National, Friday, May 6, 2016  

Click on link here:  http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/us/north-carolina-defy-federal-deadline-bathroom-transgender.html

North Carolina Officials Say They’ll Defy Federal Deadline on Bathroom Law

By ALAN BLINDER and RICHARD FAUSSET  MAY 5, 2016

EXCERPT:

"The law puts more than $4.8 billion in federal funding into state and local governments at risk, according to a recent analysis by the Williams Institute, a research organization at the University of California, Los Angeles, law school that focuses on sexual orientation and gender identity law.  The bulk of those losses would be from education funds, though the state could also lose money for career services, health care, housing and other purposes."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Also, From The New York Times, Editorials/Letters, Friday, May 6, 2016  --  "Restoring Bathroom Sanity"

Click on link here:  http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/opinion/restoring-bathroom-sanity-in-north-carolina.html

The Opinion Pages | EDITORIAL

Restoring Bathroom Sanity in North Carolina

EXCERPTS:

"The state law peddles the malicious idea that transgender people are sexual predators and that allowing people to use a bathroom that reflects their gender identity violates the rights of others. It immediately drew a strong backlash from civil rights groups, religious leaders and businesses. Major corporations have decried the law, calling it an impediment to recruiting and retaining top talent. Employers have already suspended plans to expand operations in North Carolina, costing the state hundreds of jobs."

"Mr. McCrory, a Republican, and his allies in the state’s legislature, the General Assembly, have tried to cast themselves as the victims of a radical progressive agenda. Yet the governor may be belatedly recognizing that he is the one pursuing radical ends in a society that has come to more deeply understand and accept variations of gender identity."

“Society is changing quickly and anybody who gets in the way is in trouble,” the governor lamented recently on a radio show. “And I might be in trouble. I might be looking for a side job over here.”

North Carolina faces more threats to federal money over HB2

Quoted from the Observer:

"In response to questions from the Observer Thursday, a spokesperson for the U.S. Department of Transportation wrote that the agency is reviewing House Bill 2 “to determine if, among other things, it violates non-discrimination grant provisions for DOT federally-assisted projects.”

The federal DOT provides about $1 billion a year to North Carolina."

HUD is also reviewing HB2 to determine how/if it should continue issuing grant money to NC.

Archived