NC Civil Rights

southslider

Dude, you are out of your mind. I cannot believe all this is over a man using a womans bathroom. Just goes to really show how messed up this country is. Exactly what is the transgender population? Who cares. I cannot stand liberals and would rather hang out with a "redneck" as you call then anyday of the week.

LOL, a generation to get over...ROTFLMAO...

News flash...move back to whatever state you came from if you don't like it.

16 hours ago, kermit said:

I wouldn't say nothing will come of it. Even if HB2 gets struck down tomorrow McCrory and the GA have made us look like segregationist rednecks -- high skill job growth will be at depressed levels for (potentially) a generation. This stance has quite literally taken money out of the pocket of every property owner in NC (even if HB2 is repealed tomorrow).

What did the RWNJ's gain from this exercise which will cost ordinary North Carolinians billions?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Dude, you are out of your mind. I cannot believe all this is over a man using a womans bathroom.

After how many posts and you still don't understand the basic premise of what everyone around you is discussing. Sad. North Carolina's education funding truly is a major issue. 

3 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

News flash...move back to whatever state you came from if you don't like it.

I can't seem to find the substance in your critique.

FWIW I was born in Durham and lived in NC my whole life.

I grew up in a conservative household, but consider myself to be much more of a moderate, especially on social issues. I can't for the life of me understand people who think like RalieghHeelsFan when it comes to HB2. Though, you have to chuckle at people who say they can't stand liberals yet are fans of one of the most liberal universities in the entire United States. 

3 minutes ago, HopHead said:

I grew up in a conservative household, but consider myself to be much more of a moderate, especially on social issues. I can't for the life of me understand people who think like RalieghHeelsFan when it comes to HB2. Though, you have to chuckle at people who say they can't stand liberals yet are fans of one of the most liberal universities in the entire United States. 

The lovely hypocrisy of the GOP my friend. A party which I once belonged to. But it's just impossible to support them anymore. They're too far lost. What's hilarious to me is that everyone is comparing Pat to George Wallace, who was a democrat. It's crazy and pathetic how much the party really doesn't mean anything and it just shifts to the pockets being lined and when. 

I happened to catch an interview with Pat McCrory on On the Record with Greta Van Susteren on Fox News last night while driving home, and he sounded like a babbling, bumbling idiot trying to answer her softball questions about HB2 and his lawsuit against the DOJ.  Not surprisingly, he couldn't articulate his position, showed a clear lack of understanding of the transgendered community (he was confusing people with concepts), blamed Charlotte and Congress (for not acting to amend the Civil Rights Act to clarify the definition of sex) again, and called PayPal out for (loosely quoted) "doing business in China, Russia, Sudan, and Iran where they kill gay people and facing lawsuits for that" and downplayed their cancelled expansion plans here as a minor loss of a call center in the Charlotte area.  If I were PayPal's CEO, I would never consider NC again, even with new state leadership.  Hearing those things from right-wing talking heads is one thing, but having a sitting governor smear your company on national TV with incomparable half-truths and downplay the significance of your company's investment and job creation in that state is quite another.  I report, you decide.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/05/09/north-carolina-governor-pat-mccrory-obama-admin-making-bathroom-laws-everyone

I was born at the Presbyterian ("Novant") and I was born and raised in Charlotte and have never left. 

Despite that, I don't  think only the white heterosexual Protestant majority deserve protections. People say who cares about the small LGBT population, which is double the Asian-American population. I guess they don't deserve protections neither because it doesn't effect many people 

19 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

The lovely hypocrisy of the GOP my friend. A party which I once belonged to. But it's just impossible to support them anymore. They're too far lost. What's hilarious to me is that everyone is comparing Pat to George Wallace, who was a democrat. It's crazy and pathetic how much the party really doesn't mean anything and it just shifts to the pockets being lined and when. 

It's not hilarious, it's history.  There was a titanic shift in the positions and platforms of both parties in the middle of the last century, and conservative Republicans today most resemble the Southern Democrats of the 1960s, especially on the issues of religion, civil rights, and states rights.  You simply can't compare Abraham Lincoln's abolitionist Republican Party with the modern-day GOP or the segregationist Dixiecrats with today's Democratic Party.  Discussion of major American political parties has to take place within the context of history.

16 minutes ago, mpretori said:

"NC Republicans want vow that Feds won’t cut education money over HB2"

Charlotte observer 

Lmao someone's scared. We're suing you but we want your money.

Good god... How much more dense can NC politicians be? Of course the Feds will cut your education money. Did you forget everything that has happened the last few days??

3 hours ago, HopHead said:

Yea, I don't think this little stunt by the NCGA and McCrory will be easily forgotten either. There may be some people and companies that will forgive and forget. But there will be corporations that will never do business in this state again and probably some artists that will never perform in this state again either. As kermit mentioned, we live in a global economy now. There will be cities that were once a 2nd or 3rd option to Charlotte or Raleigh that will now become 1st options ahead of us. It's just a fact. 

Wait, it's a FACT?

3 hours ago, dcharlotte said:

After how many posts and you still don't understand the basic premise of what everyone around you is discussing. Sad. North Carolina's education funding truly is a major issue. 

Ridiculous statement. The hyperbole around this issue is getting a little old. NC's education funding is low, but I can promise you that the public school teachers in NC are doing everything they can to provide a quality education to their students in spite of that. To imply otherwise is ignorant. I wouldn't want to get into a pissing contest about education quality if I were from Fla.

34 minutes ago, mpretori said:

We're suing you but we want your money.

Well, it's McCrory and the NCLeg that are suing the feds, separately (as I understand it).  This new letter to the Dept of Education came from GOP members of the US House (not members of NCLeg).

But yeah it's still a literal facepalm.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/05/10/charlotte-evangelist-franklin-graham-chick-fil-a.html

Exactly what liberals are...bullies

"Can you imagine a city where a popular, successful business is singled out and attacked by the mayor who calls for a boycott—all because the business owners let it be known that they operate by Christian principles and believe in God’s definition of marriage? You don’t have to imagine. That’s exactly what just happened to one of America’s most successful businesses. Chick-fil-A has almost 2000 restaurants and sales of more than $6 billion annually. You’d be hard-pressed to find anyone that doesn’t like their chicken sandwiches—and their high quality service. I have known the owners of Chick-fil-A, the Cathy family, for many years and have great respect for them. They just opened a new store in New York and Mayor De Blasio took the gloves off and came after them, calling for a boycott. Doesn't this sound like bullying, intolerance, and discrimination? All because someone won’t roll over to the LGBT agenda. I hope Chick-fil-A has record sales in their New York stores—and tell them how much you appreciate them in the comments below."

1 hour ago, HopHead said:

It will be a fact... There. Happy? 

I believe you are struggling with the difference between fact and opinion. I know some of you desperately want the roof to cave in over NC because of the mess created by the NCGA. I for one hope the repercussions are as minor as possible. I'm not hoping for the worst case scenario just to "show those republicans" they were wrong, because in the end, when the boat sinks, ALL the passengers get wet. This kind of thing is a prediction...and a gloomy one with no factual basis at that ("There will be cities that were once a 2nd or 3rd option to Charlotte or Raleigh that will now become 1st options ahead of us. It's just a fact.")

^ it doesn't have to be that way. The economy isn't imploding because businesses are horrified over Charlotte's ordinance, they're horrified over HB2.

paypal didn't cancel because of the ordinance, they canceled because of HB2.

education funding isn't being cut because of the ordinance, it's being cut because of HB2.

talk about blaming the victim. If Charlotte denounces The LGBT ordinance, will companies magically stop boycotting NC?

Does McCrory know that the Observer is publishing images that are half-man half-woman?   Ha ha, this is actually just a bad excuse for me to post the sophomoric observation that the "play" button is both censoring, and accentuating, the private region of said person.

play_zpst7nujwzz.jpg

Liberals have never slipped anything into a bill...rolls eyes...hypocrites

15 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

^ it doesn't have to be that way. The economy isn't imploding because businesses are horrified over Charlotte's ordinance, they're horrified over HB2.

paypal didn't cancel because of the ordinance, they canceled because of HB2.

education funding isn't being cut because of the ordinance, it's being cut because of HB2.

talk about blaming the victim 

1 hour ago, jednc said:

I believe you are struggling with the difference between fact and opinion. I know some of you desperately want the roof to cave in over NC because of the mess created by the NCGA. I for one hope the repercussions are as minor as possible. I'm not hoping for the worst case scenario just to "show those republicans" they were wrong, because in the end, when the boat sinks, ALL the passengers get wet. This kind of thing is a prediction...and a gloomy one with no factual basis at that ("There will be cities that were once a 2nd or 3rd option to Charlotte or Raleigh that will now become 1st options ahead of us. It's just a fact.")

I'm not really struggling with facts and opinions at all. Have you even noticed the hits economically this state has taken? Aside from being criticized nationally, we've already lost millions of dollars because of cancelled events, job announcements pulled, etc. Name one positive thing that HB2 has done? And lining lawyers pockets with money doesn't count. Heck, Donald Trump even criticized HB2 if that tells you how stupid it is...

6 hours ago, cltcane said:

I happened to catch an interview with Pat McCrory on On the Record with Greta Van Susteren on Fox News last night while driving home, and he sounded like a babbling, bumbling idiot trying to answer her softball questions about HB2 and his lawsuit against the DOJ.  Not surprisingly, he couldn't articulate his position, showed a clear lack of understanding of the transgendered community (he was confusing people with concepts), blamed Charlotte and Congress (for not acting to amend the Civil Rights Act to clarify the definition of sex) again, and called PayPal out for (loosely quoted) "doing business in China, Russia, Sudan, and Iran where they kill gay people and facing lawsuits for that" and downplayed their cancelled expansion plans here as a minor loss of a call center in the Charlotte area.  If I were PayPal's CEO, I would never consider NC again, even with new state leadership.  Hearing those things from right-wing talking heads is one thing, but having a sitting governor smear your company on national TV with incomparable half-truths and downplay the significance of your company's investment and job creation in that state is quite another.  I report, you decide.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/05/09/north-carolina-governor-pat-mccrory-obama-admin-making-bathroom-laws-everyone

My parents are very conservative. More like traditionalists and libertarians rather than your typical GOP person and they love Fox News of course. I was watching this last night. I explained to them exactly what the HB2 is about and they're still in favor of it overall but they dislike McCrory now because of the stuff he's pulled and how he dodged or essentially lied about the questions she gave him. She asked some fairly direct questions about the discrimination that people are talking about and he didn't address it anymore than just saying it's not true. Ironically, they decided to switch the blame in their minds mostly to "the liberals in charlotte that had to make a big statement."

I was getting mad at his tone and the way he was giving zero legitimate information or reasoning. And I hate even more that Greta kept referring to this as though it's a North Carolina vs. the obama administration. A majority of North Carolinians are against this bill now. And if half the state is against it, how about we say it's the NC GOP vs. the Obama administration or the DOJ rather than the whole state.

RaleighHeelsFan, glad you're back!  You have said you fear for the safety of your daughter. Do you let your her use the restroom in stores and restaurants and whatnot?  

If yes, how do you keep track of the welcoming/"unsafe" ones (because private businesses are free to set their own policies) vs the discriminatory/"safe" ones. Is there a list or an app or something?

If no, then what's the concern? Why the need for HB2?

3 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

talk about blaming the victim. If Charlotte denounces The LGBT ordinance, will companies magically stop boycotting NC?

This.

These goobers are just breathtakingly stupid.

As if it would make it all better if Charlotte caved in.

In fact, it would be worse. Much worse.

Archived