New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

13 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Is it a matter of talentless developers or clients with no taste that we get stuff like this? I mean, they could have at least put some sort of common space on the roof!

To me this signals that these are new folks attempting to enter the developer world.   Clearly without access to the capital and resources needed to do a proper scrape and build for a lot like this.  Something that we've been conditioned to expect in higher profile corridor like W. Fulton.   This would be a prime spot for another 5 over 1 structure.    Low level players need to stick to residential overhauls of houses and existing apartments that are off main drags IMO. 

Spaces like this can set the tone for entire neighborhoods for a couple decades.  They should be reserved for entities with the proper resources to do them correctly.  I'd rather see this spot sit empty for another year or two until someone can actually do what's needed.   Instead what's being proposed is a way to turn the property in to a revenue generator as quickly  as possible, and without any regard for the future of the neighborhood. 

• Like 4

I'm not sure how to read the sales portion of the parcel viewer correctly, but it appears to me that the property has not left hands of the family that owned the vac shop.  If they're looking to repurpose their property without investing big $$$ then this plan makes sense from that perspective.  I'd hope that another developer would see this plan and make them an offer to partner and improve the heck out of the idea.  

1 hour ago, MJLO said:

Instead what's being proposed is a way to turn the property in to a revenue generator as quickly  as possible, and without any regard for the future of the neighborhood

The turned a vacant property into housing as quickly as possible, during a housing crisis.  Kudos to them.  We need a lot more people to do that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Construction Simplified is the company working on The Anthony. They've also got another project right down the street, near the GVSU campus.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/grand-rapids-construction-firm-bets-on-west-fulton-with-2-new-projects/

Based on the renderings, it looks like they're going to demolish a building at 645 W. Fulton.

4 minutes ago, Zads said:

Construction Simplified is the company working on The Anthony. They've also got another project right down the street, near the GVSU campus.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/grand-rapids-construction-firm-bets-on-west-fulton-with-2-new-projects/

Based on the renderings, it looks like they're going to demolish a building at 645 W. Fulton.

Here’s a rendering - 

IMG_9752.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2024 at 1:39 PM, mgreven said:

Almost 10 years ago, I was posting here about actually developing something (instead of just reading about it on UP!) when my wife bought an old pawn shop on the mostly vacant Bridge Street.  It was a lot of fun to bring the Clarity Realty offices there and what a ride it has been!  We never would have imagined the changes would come as fast as they did and a grocery store across the street sure came as a surprise - I literally dropped my phone the day I read that Meijer was building a place across the street!

It was a lot of fun and we had such great memories there but knew someone would buy it someday.  We moved her company out this week (they are moving to a spot on Lake Michigan Drive - not quite as urban but it will still be nice!) and said good bye to our little development project.  I don't know the timeframe and probably shouldn't share details (not like I know that many) but there will be a new restaurant in that space in the future.  (so this is partial restaurant rumor too) Glad we can still visit the building someday and have dinner. 

I remember seeing the transformation from pawn shop to realty office. Good luck at the new spot and thanks for investing on the Westside. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had posted something a bit ago about how they originally were going to develop half the building and leave the other half empty for future use. But they decided to build it all out. I walked by on Saturday and crews were busy working on the old loading dock area. Prime location when the soccer stadium gets built (and hope to see more work in the area as the plans are solidified). 

Joe

• Like 2

On 1/17/2024 at 6:17 PM, Jonesey said:

Saw this SLU application for 662 LEONARD ST NW:

Leonard is gaining even more steam!

And Crain's with the story.

I live down the street from this location and I'm quite excited to see another business filling into a vacant building on Leonard.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/sports-recreation/indoor-pickleball-golf-simulator-venue-planned-for-grand-rapids-west-side/

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The desire to turn John Ball Park into a historical district were quickly shot down by the city commission.

I'm honestly at the point where maybe the zoo needs to leave the area. It is totally at the mercy of a neighborhood that dont want it to expand, dont want to accommodate the visitors, and at the same time will fight to keep it there.

No one really is thrilled with the idea of it not being in such an accessible location that so many of us have memories of visiting for decades, but the neighborhood is sort of not "getting it" that something has to give. They cant just have it both ways forever.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ctpgr34 said:

Should be an update on this property in the next few days regarding the new urban infill that will be tentatively constructed here.  

And here's the story.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/150-apartments-planned-at-former-west-side-duthlers-grocery-store/

"Talbot is still in the “design and gathering feedback stage,” but plans a 117,000-square-foot, five-story building with 150 apartments, a small ground floor retail space, fitness center, a roof deck for residents, and onsite parking. He hopes to start the $31 million project by the end of this year with a completion date in summer 2026, according to a presentation today to nearby business owners. "

Talbot 1.jpg

Talbot 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1