New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

19 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

John Ball Zoo parking plan is DOA. Getting additional parking for the zoo is going to be heavily scrutinized no matter what. Hope they take some time to figure this out for good:

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/kent-county-indefinitely-delays-vote-on-john-ball-zoo-surface-parking-plan/

Once again, following Peter Carlberg's playbook pays off for a couple dozen neighbors of the zoo.  Amazing how history repeats itself.

• Haha 1

On 11/22/2023 at 7:54 AM, joeDowntown said:

But I also hope it isn’t just opposition to change/anything and they will support a better plan that respects the park but also adds parking they need.

Some elected leaders having the courage to have an opinion -  and help frame the conversation - would be a huge boon.  Don't see that happening with the current cast of characters, but elections in 2024! 👍

On 11/22/2023 at 8:00 AM, Zads said:

I understand that commuter lots are not ideal for a zoo, but you're in a downtown location.

I feel the best solution is a mixed one; possibly denser parking (ramp / whatever), commuter lots, better integration with transit: all the above. The pave-the-park approach was a lazy solution; I feel that they didn't even try.  We employ experts in these things, right?  Given the hours of the zoo couldn't some of the parking also be a potential revenue source if integrated into access to other amenities like the arena, amphitheater, soccer stadium, etc ... ?  Parking is expensive, let's build parking which will have maximal utilization.

• Like 3

Way back when, when the zoo was potentially going to move out by Meijer Gardens, did the neighbors to the current zoo fight to keep it downtown?  IIRC, there was a something of an unscrupulous campaign from the folks out at the proposed location to fight it (or something like that) because traffic, etc. but I don’t remember how the current neighbors reacted. 
It may be a bit of a broad generalization, but it does seem like they oppose just about everything.  Almost  as if the zoo just needs to be frozen in time.  I know a parking structure has been brought up but I get the feeling that if the zoo proposed that, they would oppose it too.

• Like 3

TBH the residents of the west side have come a long  to just being normal NIMBY's.  They used to be BANANA's (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything) until about 10-12 years ago when the city just started ignoring them and approving things anyway lol.  I agree this particular issue was the right fight though.  Hopefully the zoo can figure it out. 

• Like 2

I noticed that a developer is trying to get Obsolete Building (OPRA) credits to build 8 apartments  at 851 Fulton W (the old vaccuum repair shop used to be located in this building). Does anyone know anything about this development? I couldn't find anything on UP, and don't think I've heard anything about it. Sounds like 3 bedroom apartments. I'd assume OPRA credits means a knockdown?

Joe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

I noticed that a developer is trying to get Obsolete Building (OPRA) credits to build 8 apartments  at 851 Fulton W (the old vaccuum repair shop used to be located in this building). Does anyone know anything about this development? I couldn't find anything on UP, and don't think I've heard anything about it. Sounds like 3 bedroom apartments. I'd assume OPRA credits means a knockdown?

Joe

My understanding is that the building is being converted to apartments. There will be some exterior improvements as well. No teardown last I knew. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, demhem said:

My understanding is that the building is being converted to apartments. There will be some exterior improvements as well. No teardown last I knew. 

I don't know how one could make apartments out of that building without tearing it down. This is what we're talking about, right? https://maps.app.goo.gl/9VndTjQ6xyAKDU6HA

10 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

I don't know how one could make apartments out of that building without tearing it down. This is what we're talking about, right? https://maps.app.goo.gl/9VndTjQ6xyAKDU6HA

That's the one. I was confused about them not tearing the building down, but I kind of worried that is the case. 

Joe

Found a rendering (it was approved today for ORPA funding): 

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 5.19.51 PM.png

I'd say it's not great / lacking, but we need additional housing, so [shrug]. I don't like feeling like "it sucks, but it fills a need". Seems like we could fill a need, AND do better.

Wonder how many people will try to walk in people's front door?!. It looks (and sounds) like a hair salon, or maybe a veterinary clinic [woof]. :)

Joe

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I'd say it's not great / lacking, but we need additional housing, so [shrug]. I don't like feeling like "it sucks, but it fills a need". Seems like we could fill a need, AND do better.

Wonder how many people will try to walk in people's front door?!. It looks (and sounds) like a hair salon, or maybe a veterinary clinic [woof]. :)

Joe

image.png.e4c8e8411d6d885b1a89cefbaee0ea0f.png 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Joe

Absolutely not. This looks like an office building. We need housing, like badly, but I just don't see this as cost-efficient long term. Please, let's tear this down and start from scratch. Please.

Edited by Zads
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zads said:

They did a fantastic job with the signage on this building. I love how they kept the brick gritty and added the blue band with painted sign on the facade. Very nice!

Joe

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zads said:

Absolutely not. This looks like an office building. We need housing, like badly, but I just don't see this as cost-efficient long term. Please, let's tear this down and start from scratch. Please.

In the meeting that I was at where this was presented, the developer said that the numbers just don't work right now to tear it down and build new (cost prohibitive). They tried to get a retail tenant to no avail. Also, the building is named after the owner's son. It is a by-right conversion. 

3 hours ago, Zads said:

It reminds me of the SRO’s on Division that are supposed to be hotels. Hope they are better than that. 

24 minutes ago, demhem said:

In the meeting that I was at where this was presented, the developer said that the numbers just don't work right now to tear it down and build new (cost prohibitive). They tried to get a retail tenant to no avail. Also, the building is named after the owner's son. It is a by-right conversion. 

I could see that. I could also see a much more dense development on that site if they started over. It's a decent sized lot (with too much parking for 8 units). It's not the end of the world, but feel like it doesn't the mark. 

I'm both hoping it's a success to help add to housing supply short-term, and also hoping someone knocks it down ten years from now and build something taller/denser. :)

Joe

• Like 2

15 hours ago, whitemice said:

I don't like it; I mean, why?  Good lord, it seems to be hilariously low-effort.

Yet, on what grounds would it get denied?

Nothing I'm advocating but it's not like there isn't several precedents for awkward conversions along West Fulton.  You could even argue that it's stuff like this that gives West Fulton its character.  It's probably what the neighborhood people are so vocal on wanting to preserve.  I took a little drive down Google View and collected a few examples to cut and paste: 

This is right across National from the proposed apartment conversion:

1020447159_acrossthestreet.png.686be9a66d715002e6972e3014927824.png

Obviously this huge façade was attached to the front of this old house.  I might be wrong but I think you used to be able to take accordion lessons here.  This is down next to the old Dairy Queen building:

2131291484_justeastoftheoldDairyQween.png.f1ca6c1e62579c87799e3943fb02d408.png

This looks like it is a residence now but it sure looks like it once might have been a small shop of some sorts.  It's down next to Nawara Brothers:

368548969_eastofnawaraappliances.png.b14cb2927d8eb9bb21f22840eb589105.png

Other than the sign there isn't much to this conversion.  It's across Fulton from McDonalds.  This used to be an insurance agency despite what the sign says now.  Mostly I'm including it because I like the sign:

PSYCHC.png.eeb39a29017567cdaba4cb385bf09230.png 

This was a residence that had a barber shop added out front.  This is an old photo from the Google Archives.  If you drive by it today, it's converted back to just a residence:

64461273_BallParkBarber.png.eecd9f764c96fd005b99e8264db94ea8.png 

Edited by walker
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, gvsusean said:

What is this monstrosity?! How does this get approved by anyone, anywhere?

Yeah, I was looking for what part was the residential. That sign had better not be part of any aspect of this.

Is it a matter of talentless developers or clients with no taste that we get stuff like this? I mean, they could have at least put some sort of common space on the roof!

Edited by GR_Urbanist

10 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

they could have at least put some sort of common space on the roof!

Which could easily cost $30K and add permitting drama aplenty.

851 Fulton St W looks like an inexpensive reuse of a property, emphasis: inexpensive.  I can't really fault them; there are a couple small infill & repurpose projects near me and they are taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r, which has got to be decimating their pro forma.

Meh, it is housing, which we need.  When the workforce situation and financing environment has improved the site can be improved.

Screenshot from 2023-12-07 07-05-25.png

• Like 2