New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

18 minutes ago, Zads said:

And here's the story.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/150-apartments-planned-at-former-west-side-duthlers-grocery-store/

"Talbot is still in the “design and gathering feedback stage,” but plans a 117,000-square-foot, five-story building with 150 apartments, a small ground floor retail space, fitness center, a roof deck for residents, and onsite parking. He hopes to start the $31 million project by the end of this year with a completion date in summer 2026, according to a presentation today to nearby business owners. "

Talbot 1.jpg

Talbot 2.jpg

I hope this pans out - I'm glad Talbot has shown some real interest in working in GR!

• Like 3

This will be a great addition. The more I thought about it, the less I liked about the food truck concept proposed for the building. 

My only issue with the building, and he should take my advice and thank me later (haha), is I would push the rooftop garden to the east side of the building. It would have a great view of the skyline, new soccer stadium, etc. 

I walked by the Current (Quimby development) the other day and it's looking really good (and going up very quickly). I hope he's able to knock this out of the park. Excited to see it go through!

Joe

• Like 3

Yeah this is pretty awesome.  The food truck thing would have been cool, but that would be better for Leonard or Wealthy, this area needs more density.  I don't see any parking (yay!).  I actually saw this first on "We Are Westsiders" on Facebook and the NIMBYs are going nuts lol.  I'm glad the PC doesn't really take their insane opinions into consideration (anymore).  Glad an out of town developer is actually (hopefully) getting things done.

Edited by Jonesey
(anymore)
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve always liked this building on Mt. Vernon (about a block off Bridge street). It’s been abandoned for a long time but looks like some work is being done. Are they just replacing the old boards, or are they starting to renovate. Doesn’t have the greatest view (concrete embankment of 131) but would make a cool little neighborhood bar (especially with the soccer stadium so close by. Anyone know what they are doing here?

IMG_1554.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

I’ve always liked this building on Mt. Vernon (about a block off Bridge street). It’s been abandoned for a long time but looks like some work is being done. Are they just replacing the old boards, or are they starting to renovate. Doesn’t have the greatest view (concrete embankment of 131) but would make a cool little neighborhood bar (especially with the soccer stadium so close by. Anyone know what they are doing here?

IMG_1554.jpeg

God I hope a small neighborhood bar opens there. I love little watering holes like that. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 1:05 PM, joeDowntown said:

IMG_1554.jpeg

I've talked to Walt about that building before. Can't recall what his plans were. That was years ago.

Next door used to be a a spot where bands would play and they had live music. Punk, rap and rave I believe. I think that closed a few years ago. 

I'm getting old it was probably 10 years ago lol. 

• Like 2

On 4/6/2024 at 2:16 PM, Cookin_peacocks said:

God I hope a small neighborhood bar opens there. I love little watering holes like that. 

I personally hope for something similar, or a soccer bar. That's going to be a perfect spot for when the new stadium opens up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Next door used to be a a spot where bands would play and they had live music. Punk, rap and rave I believe. I think that closed a few years ago. 

I believe it was called Death House or something like that. Never went myself but had friends who went to shows there. 

• Like 3

On 4/11/2024 at 1:25 PM, Pattmost20 said:

I believe it was called Death House or something like that. Never went myself but had friends who went to shows there. 

Yep, that's the name and the spot. There was a mini-ramp/bowl inside too. Rad little place, was bummed the shows ended.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 2:01 PM, Pattmost20 said:

Haven't heard any news on Gin-Gins in a while, but looks like some recent-ish work has been done on the entrance. The work permit on the door was from fall of 2023.

20240204_141720.jpg

20240204_141705.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous end product, but as a wheelchair user, I don't understand why BOTH entrances are stairs?? Am I missing something?

• Like 2

I'm also using a wheelchair and I don't think they can make both non-ADA compliant.  I would hope the building dept would catch that, but it doesn't look like it. There's room to install a ramp although the landing is too small. Unfortunately these violations are mostly complaint based unless a plan reviewer insists on it.

So which one of us is going to complain???

• Like 1