New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

The house at 513 Stocking was torn down, anyone have any details?  The demo permit says redevelopment.  It doesn't look like any of the surrounding properties were sold, although some seem in poor shape and ready to be razed

Edited by Jonesey

6 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I noticed this weekend that they bulldozed a building on First Street, right next to the auto shop. Wonder if something is happening on that corner?

Joe

I think that may have been the garage to this property, if you look on GIS it has frontage on First too

• Like 1

I was on the CARWM site, and noticed this proposed building. Looks like it's on the land Sovengard initially wanted to build on before buying the building across the street. Could be a total speculative project that never happens, or maybe that section of Bridge will see new life once Sovengard is up and running?

6254f12ee6634b000178522c_snapshot.png

6413259a5a2f070007c3864d_elevation_2.png

6413259a5a2f070007c3864e_elevation_1.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I was on the CARWM site, and noticed this proposed building. Looks like it's on the land Sovengard initially wanted to build on before buying the building across the street. Could be a total speculative project that never happens, or maybe that section of Bridge will see new life once Sovengard is up and running?

Hmmm that's very interesting. I feel like Bridge St would benefit from more community based service/storefronts at the west end of the street, with more of the entertainment options further east. 

4 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I feel like that glass tower is only there for the purpose of trolling JBAN.  The way that it might juuuusssst barely peak over the tree canopy will drive them out of their minds.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

I feel like that glass tower is only there for the purpose of trolling JBAN.  The way that it might juuuusssst barely peak over the tree canopy will drive them out of their minds.

Bawhahaha ... I can hear the grumbling already. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 12:01 PM, joeDowntown said:

LOL

Edited by Ted
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

So I must have missed this discussion, but here is a building just west of the old Harmony Hall location on Bridge going up. 

There was a minor controversy about that one.  The setback of the building violates some rules, and to create a greenspace not-a-park [not open to the public] on the street.  Obviously they got their way in the end.

55 minutes ago, whitemice said:

There was a minor controversy about that one.  The setback of the building violates some rules, and to create a greenspace not-a-park [not open to the public] on the street.  Obviously they got their way in the end.

Ah! I did notice the setback, and actually hoped it was going to be a public-ish space because the sidewalk there is so thin and not entirely level.

Yeah, seems like the PC gives on stuff like that too easily.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whitemice said:

I would rather not have that place there at all, but I read in some minutes awhile back that current little park there is public and they were going to try to make it more open for people.  Maybe that's changed?

Has anyone heard any updates on the Rockford building at the old Circuit West site or the buildings at the old funeral home?  I think Rockford and WODA will get them done, but it just feels like it's been awhile.  Maybe it's difficult to find subs at the moment?

11 hours ago, WMrapids said:

So, El Sombrero really permanently closed?

I looked around and people on Google Q&A are saying it’s permanently closed, with signs on the door and drive thru saying so. I’ll be interested to see what the story is (loss of business, retirement?). 

I know SIBSCO bought the property a few years ago with “no immediate plans”. Wonder if they’re going to redevelop? Perfect spot for more residential!

Joe

I'm not one to celebrate a business going under, I do think this suburban style eatery is long past its expiration date in an area like this, though. This also applies to the Big Boy, Burger King, McDonalds and Adobe counterparts on Pearl and W. Fulton.

This key site being right next to the BSM needs to get something good on it, and no I dont mean a pay parking lot.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2023 at 1:59 PM, demhem said:

Walked by this building today and there was a lot of demo/work going on inside, lumber stacked on the sidewalk, etc ... seems to be moving forward quickly. 

• Like 1

Mlive has a story about the General Woodshop (new LGBTQ bar on Bridge). I’m impressed by the finished project. Such a non-descript building, didn’t think it had the bones to be so nice. Also, major bonus points for the neon sign out front. 

https://www-mlive-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2023/07/see-inside-new-lgbtq-cocktail-bar-opening-in-grand-rapids.html?outputType=amp&amp_js_v=0.1#webview=1&cap=swipe

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A nice chunk of real estate recently became available on Bridge Street (old Flamingo Lounge location plus parking lots). A decent sized residential development would work well here, and extend development down Bridge Street a bit:

https://www.commercialexchange.com/listing/38646034/928-Bridge-St-NW-Grand-Rapids-MI-49504

Joe

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

A nice chunk of real estate recently became available on Bridge Street (old Flamingo Lounge location plus parking lots). A decent sized residential development would work well here, and extend development down Bridge Street a bit:

https://www.commercialexchange.com/listing/38646034/928-Bridge-St-NW-Grand-Rapids-MI-49504

Joe

The flamingo is gone? Aw man they had cool punk shows before COVID. 

I really liked the old vibe it had, just sad it was in kinda an area that was a little off the beaten path of Bridge.

13 minutes ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

The flamingo is gone? Aw man they had cool punk shows before COVID. 

I really liked the old vibe it had, just sad it was in kinda an area that was a little off the beaten path of Bridge.

I don't think Flamingo Room is closed yet. But at $2.1M for the land, I doubt someone will buy it for the bar. :) Great name though, I'd like to own a dive bar named the Flamingo Room! It'd need an epic neon sign though...

Joe