5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Looking NE from intersection of 6th Ave. and Broadway:

5th & Broadway, Feb 24, 2019, 3.jpg

Looking east along Commerce St. from intersection with 6th Ave. North:

5th & Broadway, Feb 24, 2019, 8.jpg

As always Mark, Thanks for the awesome picture updates!

I couldnt help but joke to myself that the plywood on the retail portion of the building will just have painted on windows and wont actually be glazed. Obviously a joke, but that would be one hell of a bait and switch lol

In the second picture quoted, there appears to be a lot of support for cantilevering the slab of the office building over the flat roof of the hotel? Was this illustrated in the renderings at all, I can't seem to remember. Definitely a good way to increase your footprint, but some serious, heavy duty structure for it if it is in fact doing this.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

I couldnt help but joke to myself that the plywood on the retail portion of the building will just have painted on windows and wont actually be glazed. Obviously a joke, but that would be one hell of a bait and switch lol

Actually...that IS the glass.  It's a new tan-colored glass that's all the rage.  Blue...green...black...and now, tan. :D

• Haha 3

From NBJ:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/02/28/how-the-delay-in-alliancebernsteins-metro.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

AllianceBernstein's incentive package won't just gauge Metro Council's appetite for using taxpayer dollars to recruit companies: It also has the potential to restructure how the city finances those deals.

At-large Councilman John Cooper is pushing an amendment that would finance the deal using money from the Convention Center Authority, not the city's general funds. If approved, Cooper hopes the change will serve as a precedent for future incentive deals, including Metro's proposed $17.5 million deal for Amazon. (To view his amendment, click here.)

Cooper's argument is that AllianceBernstein's permanent office, located inside the massive Fifth + Broadway development, falls within the city's tourism development zone, which diverts sales-tax revenue within a large swath of the urban core from the city's general fund to support the convention center. Nashville Yards, Amazon's future home, also falls within the district.

"If you have an overage on your checking account — which the city does, since we’re doing one-time property sales to fix our budget — then you should in effect be using your savings account or at least another account," Cooper told the Nashville Business Journal. "We really need to protect the general fund because ultimately that’s what is paying for universal services. The uptick in revenue driven by these projects goes to the [convention center], not the general fund. Having Music City Center finance projects that would increase their own revenue would seem appropriate."

Cooper's amendment is what prompted Metro Council to delay its vote on AllianceBernstein's incentive package earlier this month; however, his amendment is far from finalized, with city attorneys still debating its legality. Furthermore, the funding swap has a prominent opponent: Mayor David Briley.

"AB's economic incentive package should be adopted without this amendment," Thomas Mulgrew, the mayor's spokesman, said in a statement to the NBJ. "However, Mayor Briley has been engaged in conversations with the Convention Center Authority regarding the use of revenue generated in the tourism development zone in future budgets."

If approved, AllianceBernstein's package would give the money manager $500 per job for seven years, which is the city's standard jobs package. It could be worth as much as $3.7 million over seven years. State officials are also kicking in incentives for AllianceBernstein; however, the total value of those incentives is unknown.

The incentive deal — which you can read here — comes 10 months after AllianceBernstein announced plans to move its headquarters to Nashville, bringing with it 1,050 jobs and the company's C-suite. Fully staffed, the company would rank among downtown's five largest private employers.

This is the first Metro jobs grant that the council will vote on after passing legislation that requires companies to disclose more information about the jobs they're creating. The vote also comes after months of public pushback to how state and local officials use taxpayer dollars to incentivize companies, particularly in the wake of Amazon's decision to bring 5,000 jobs to Nashville.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Craiger said:

They can get rid of those "temporary" crowd control barriers though...

I know they are working on slowly replacing them on lower Broadway with the permanent barriers, but they can't do it soon enough. I think they really look trashy.  

They spent a ton of time installing them around and in the MCC (along 6th in the tunnel).  It takes them a while.  The sooner they can get it all done the better.   

• Like 1

Those new "permanent" bollards are turning out to be a little more fragile than anyone had hoped. I drove through there late last week and noticed that at least ten percent of them had already been backed into or otherwise abused and had substantial dents and deformation to show for it.

/sigh

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

Those new "permanent" bollards are turning out to be a little more fragile than anyone had hoped. I drove through there late last week and noticed that at least ten percent of them had already been backed into or otherwise abused and had substantial dents and deformation to show for it.

That's why you

1. Dig a hole
  2. Put a steel pipe in the hole
  3. Fill the steel pipe with concrete
  4. ???
  5. Profit!

Unfortunately since these are going in right next to roads we have to bother ourselves with counterproductive tangents like "driver safety".

• Like 2

On 3/2/2019 at 9:49 PM, PruneTracy said:

That's why you

1. Dig a hole
  4. ???
  5. Profit!

Unfortunately since these are going in right next to roads we have to bother ourselves with counterproductive tangents like "driver safety".

IDKWBIBH

Jah bless

• Like 2

Absolutely welcome to the forum! I saw the post and it didnt even register we had a new poster. Been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest or a one armed wall paper hanger.

Too much happening right now guys.

zrwr6, tell you r friends about us and check out the Dave Luna forum meet thread and show up so we can put a name to a face.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Absolutely welcome to the forum! I saw the post and it didnt even register we had a new poster. Been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest or a one armed wall paper hanger.

Too much happening right now .

cali-fred.gif

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Craiger said:

Photos of the parking deck in the AB building From the SDL engineering firm's twitter

"This double helical ramp will get cars from 5th Avenue and Commerce Street to Level 4 of the Fifth + Broadway Office Building. This is definitely one of the most complex pieces of the project!"

Showing my ignorance now. 

How rare are these ramps? And why is this utilized instead of a regular garage with straight ramps? Do cars park on the actual helical ramp? Or is it just to get cars up a higher level in a relatively short amount of space? 

On 3/2/2019 at 8:49 PM, PruneTracy said:

That's why you

1. Dig a hole
  4. ???
  5. Profit!

Driver safety meaning the people running into them? I never understood why we have to worry more about them than the pedestrians on the other side of the bollard...

• Like 2

Showing my ignorance now. 
How rare are these ramps? And why is this utilized instead of a regular garage with straight ramps? Do cars park on the actual helical ramp? Or is it just to get cars up a higher level in a relatively short amount of space? 

Can’t park on them. Helical ramps are expensive. The only reason to use them is that they save physical space.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1