5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

8 minutes ago, NashRugger said:

And we're just over looking at Apple being like "well...?"

There has been ongoing work being done there. They just recently opened up the sidewalk in front of the store. I'd imagine we'll hear from them soon enough. 

Edited by downtownresident
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

It's not as bad as Broadwest formally known as Palmer Plaza. The talk started on that one in the late 90's and it has taken 20 plus years to happen in the form that it is now.

So, I had to go research the answer...my old brain only holds so many items of memory these days...but the original name of Broadwest was West End Summit. Palmer Plaza was a few blocks west of there (now home of the Tennessean).

Phoenix restaurateur Sam Fox’s Blanco Cocina + Cantina will open March 2, making it among the first stand-alone restaurants to open at the transformative downtown Fifth + Broadway, which is scheduled to open on March 4.

The restaurant has brought on Brandon Katz as general manager and Nashvillian Justin Eaton as executive chef. Blanco will be hiring more than 75 team members for this location, which is nearly 5,000 square feet.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/02/16/sam-fox-blanco-cocina-cantina-downtown-fifth-broad.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

• Like 4

More info on the opening of the 5th & Broadway Assembly Food Hall on Thursday, March 4th:  

There are a lot of offerings, including four large bars, each focused on a specific type of drink (whiskey, tequila, beer, wine), but all of which can serve you from a full bar menu. The restaurants average about 400 square feet of space, which is fairly large for these sorts of operations, so they’ll be able to offer a wide variety of foods. Even though some restaurants like Prince’s and Thai Esane might have slightly limited menus — a “greatest hits” of their full restaurant offerings — you’ll definitely recognize their cuisine.

The roster of restaurants is a mix of small outposts of Nashville favorites, spinoffs of other local concepts or new-to-the-market restaurants, some of which also occupy spaces in Assembly Hall’s sister property in Texas. In addition to Thai Esane, the North Hall will feature homegrown outlets of spots like DeSano Pizzeria, NoBaked Cookie Dough and Cotton & Snow along with imports Oke Poke, Smokin’ Chikin and Whisk Crepes Cafe. When the South Hall opens later this spring, Prince’s will be joined by two concepts from the team behind Coco’s Italian Market, Hattie Jane’s Creamery, Pharmacy Burger + Wurst, Steam Boys, Horu Sushi Kitchen, Istanbul Shawarma (from the folks at Edessa Restaurant), Philly Special and The Liege Waffle Co. While Assembly Food Hall does try to offer some sort of exclusivity by food type to their vendors, that doesn’t mean you might see a hot chicken taco at one of the two planned taco concepts, offering even more variety of choices.

More at The Scene here:

https://www.nashvillescene.com/food-drink/bites/article/21146230/assembly-food-hall-downtown-opening-on-march-4

Assembly Food Hall website:

https://www.assemblyfoodhall.com/

And behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/retail/article/21146244/fifth-broads-food-hall-sets-debut

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jamie Hall said:

Didn't earlier renderings show some type of landscaping replacing the center lane of Broadway in front of 5th & Main? That appears to have gone away.

I think this was discussed some time ago actually. I would be willing to bet because this is state road, they would need an extra level of approval from TDOT to change the road like that. Someone with better TDOT knowledge can probably correct me, but the TWLTL down the center of the road I think is a requirement. A dumb one in my opinion, but nonetheless it is controlled by the state.

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

I think this was discussed some time ago actually. I would be willing to bet because this is state road, they would need an extra level of approval from TDOT to change the road like that. Someone with better TDOT knowledge can probably correct me, but the TWLTL down the center of the road I think is a requirement. A dumb one in my opinion, but nonetheless it is controlled by the state.

It's not required and it's surprisingly easy to get TDOT buy-in to make modifications to a state route, especially one in a city and also especially for only streetscape improvements. 

This looks more like either value engineering or the rendering folks not spending a lot of time worrying about details not directly relevant to the project.

Personally I'd question the wisdom of having a raised, landscaped median only for that block or two of Broadway when it's frequently closed to vehicular traffic or the lanes are temporarily reconfigured for whatever's going on nearby. Had it existed then, the median would have complicated the setup for the Stanley Cup watch party or the NFL draft, for example.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

One would think they will want Broadway closed to 6th or 7th for events (like CMA Fest, etc) to have the foot traffic walking right past their front doorstep. Planters in the middle of Broadway seems like a bad idea. Can you imagine if the old planters were still there (down to 1st)?

12 hours ago, LA_TN said:

One would think they will want Broadway closed to 6th or 7th for events (like CMA Fest, etc) to have the foot traffic walking right past their front doorstep. Planters in the middle of Broadway seems like a bad idea. Can you imagine if the old planters were still there (down to 1st)?

There were some TDOT officials who were very upset when they came in Monday morning and learned the City had put up planters (made from RR crossties) without notice or consultation. I know how that conversation went because I was in the room at that time, back in the 70's. They were removed fairly quickly.

• Haha 4