Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

It’s been almost a month since a photo update. Are both buildings a couple of floors above street level yet?

Both are on the second floor. Hotel is two floors above street level and office building is one level above street level. Webcam here: https://app.oxblue.com/open/cap/fallstower

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Is it possible that the tower crane for the office/condo building will be extended? I was down there last night and they are working on the 4th floor and it doesn't look like there is room for 13 more floors between the current fourth floor and the boom.

I doubt it, not sure why they wouldn't put it at the correct height to begin with.  While it's never appeared to be over 250 feet hight to me, keep in mind the condo floors won't be nearly as tall as the ones you see so far. 

I find it odd that there is still a large vacant lot, used for parking, opposite Broad Street from this development.

Hopefully there will be spillover to nearby lots and new construction them?  The swath of parking lots between Main and McBee (behind what was the American Federal and maybe now the Suntrust building--whatever it's called now) also could be developed.

22 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I find it odd that there is still a large vacant lot, used for parking, opposite Broad Street from this development.

Hopefully there will be spillover to nearby lots and new construction them?  The swath of parking lots between Main and McBee (behind what was the American Federal and maybe now the Suntrust building--whatever it's called now) also could be developed.

I have been hopeful the northeastern quadrant of Main at Broad will eventually be transformed into the tallest building in Greenville.  It is an ideal location, especially if a developer can acquire the adjacent property(ies) fronting South Spring Street.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, gman430 said:

The plaza side looks exactly the same to me. 

The ground level, specifically, has less glass and more solid wall.  They need to at least propose some art for those locations. They've got the chance to really negatively affect the pedestrian's plaza experience. 

I MUCH prefer the contrast and interest of the previous metal panel color. Everything looks more flat and less interesting as a composition now. 

40 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

The ground level, specifically, has less glass and more solid wall.  They need to at least propose some art for those locations. They've got the chance to really negatively affect the pedestrian's plaza experience. 

I MUCH prefer the contrast and interest of the previous metal panel color. Everything looks more flat and less interesting as a composition now. 

Looks like 1.5 sections of glass windows/doors is being removed at ground level.  I gotta believe there is an intent behind this, likely for some sort of mural or other functional purpose.  I'll hold off judgement for now...

The greenhouse on the roof looks pretty sweet and I'm a big fan of them varying the colors of the materials (especially on the corner facing the peace center)

Edited by NewlyUpstate

• 2 weeks later...

The applicant proposes to modify a Certificate of Appropriateness (CA 18-784) for a proposed hotel at 315 Main St (formerly 305 Main St). The proposed changes include:
• Changing the metal panel color at the NW corner of the building from Color 2 to Color 1.
• The addition of a flat roof covered seating area at the NW corner
• Deleted curtain wall system on the north side of the express elevator
• Deleted proposed patterned brick veneer with light pattern mural for night interest to be replaced
by retained light pattern mural only on blank wall area on North elevation
• Added a catwalk on the north elevation at the 6th floor
• Addition of a greenhouse enhancements to rooftop bar on the West elevation
Staff believes the prosed changes are consistent with the spirit and intent of the latest revisions, with the exception of the proposed deletion of the patterned brick veneer, approved in November 2018. The change of panel color on the NW corner seems to balance to front elevation, given the south side was granted an extra bay of rooms in November. The rooftop bar alteration incorporates a glass and metal frame element; staff does not believe it negatively impacts the massing, due to the continued visibility. On the attached submittal documents, a required patterned brick veneer with a light pattern mural for night interest, previously required by the DRB, is shown as downgraded to only a light mural on the north elevation. This significant change was not detailed in the applicant’s request for modification and therefore, is not presented by staff for consideration. Finally, the flat roof cover over seating seems appropriate to the architecture, noting that direct sunlight will be limited in this area except for during late afternoon. Staff recommends approval of the proposed modifications, with the exception that the patterned brick veneer with light pattern mural on the blank wall area, located on the North elevation, be retained as required in April 2018, as submitted.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

How do you think the County Square development might compare to Camperdown? Won't be as dense overall, but it will be significantly larger, and parts of it may be quite dense and walkable as well. 

I need to take another look at that development. Right now, I consider Courier Square in Charleston to be the best new mixed-use development statewide.