Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

Grail Central for one of the spaces between Starbucks and Southern Tide: 

https://www.grailcentral.com

I certainly want every business to succeed, but I’m not sure if that type of store is a match for downtown’s customer base.  The Champs Sports on North Main didn’t last, for example.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I certainly want every business to succeed, but I’m not sure if that type of store is a match for downtown’s customer base.  The Champs Sports on North Main didn’t last, for example.

It’s likely not to succeed without a store such as H&M being in the same development that can lure people in of a similar customer profile. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Big surprise that this comment is coming from the person that thinks anyone riding a motorcycle has no business being downtown. Not everyone shopping downtown is looking for the new Lilly dress. I think there's current businesses that will find synergies with this new lease. It stands to also attract additional shoppers and money downtown. APB has seemingly found success on West North Street with a similar line of goods. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I didn’t know there was a Champs Sports downtown. When was that? 

Edited by gman430

13 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Big surprise that this comment is coming from the person that thinks anyone riding a motorcycle has no business being downtown. Not everyone shopping downtown is looking for the new Lilly dress. I think there's current businesses that will find synergies with this new lease. It stands to also attract additional shoppers and money downtown. APB has seemingly found success on West North Street with a similar line of goods. 

No, I never said that “anyone riding a motorcycle has no business being downtown.”

My complaint was about people who violated noise limits due to loud vehicles.

Anyone who rides a motorcycle and exceeds noise limits needs to change (as does anyone engaging in other misbehavior).  

Downtown is generally higher-priced stores.  A Southern Tide shopper would likely be a better match for a Vineyard Vines or other stores that are downtown now, not an athletic shoe store.

An athletic shoe store would do better at Haywood.

I hope that the landlord is giving the store a fair deal so that the risk doesn’t fall only on the store owners.

And to prove my point that I want all businesses to succeed, I will buy a pair of shoes or other clothing there.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

Respectfully,

I do not think Grail Central and Champs are even in the same conversation. Grail Central is "high end" clothing just in a different way than some of you may believe. $180 for a pair of shoes and $40 for a T-Shirt is higher end than H&M surely. The "Hype" community pays top dollar for certain shoes and clothing. They may venture into the "vintage" world as well. Their current Anderson location has 43 reviews and 5 stars. They also have 14.3k Instagram followers. If they are successful in Anderson they will find a ton of Success in Downtown Greenville. They already have a loyal client base who probably travels from Greenville from time to time. Take a walk around downtown any evening and you will see a ton of people wearing clothing and shoes that can be bought at this store. Not everybody is shopping at Rush Wilson or Southern Tide.

This store will do very well downtown as others outside of downtown have. This is most similar to "Hyped Experience" on Wade Hampton near Harris Teeter. 5 Stars on 97 reviews. Also "Varsity Goods" in West Greenville, 4.8 stars 225 reviews, sells similar products. 

In all honesty the pedestal this forum puts H&M on as though its some super popular store in laughable at best. I have never seen an H&M that busy, nor would I consider it  an attraction to shoppers. They sell crappy, cheap clothing marked up before it is inevitably marked down to $4 on the clearance rack. They are extremely disorganized and not a good fit in the downtown environment. They would be better off in a County Square or mall environment.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/28/2023 at 11:01 AM, gman430 said:

Auro Hotels has leased the Main Street space below the hotel. They are planning an event space that will include live music and other entertainment. 

Not sure this is a great idea with the Peace Center doing the same thing across the street. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The for lease sign at the bottom floor of the AC Hotel along Main Street next to the stairwell is now gone which tells me the space has been leased. I know originally it was supposed to be an events space for Auro Hotels but that might have changed. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gman430 said:

The for lease sign at the bottom floor of the AC Hotel along Main Street next to the stairwell is now gone which tells me the space has been leased. I know originally it was supposed to be an events space for Auro Hotels but that might have changed. 

I sure hope that has changed. *fingers crossed*