Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

5 hours ago, krazeeboi said:

I need to take another look at that development. Right now, I consider Courier Square in Charleston to be the best new mixed-use development statewide. 

That does look like a nice development. Not as much height as Camperdown, but overall I prefer that architecture to Camperdown; more traditional/classical in nature.  While I do like the camperdown apt building, I wish the top wasn't all the same level, should have had different heights to give it a more layered look and less chopped off. 

We don't have many rendereings of the County Square project yet, mainly just some rough sketch box conceptual renderings. I'm not really sure what to expect there either, but the descriptions sound pretty impressive. 

• Like 1

I was by the Camperdown site today and was thinking how much taller the office condo building wold look if it switched places with the hotel? Wonder if this was ever considered or was even feasible. I also noticed how tall the second crane looks at the Federal courthouse when coming over the church street bridge. 

28 minutes ago, apaladin said:

I was by the Camperdown site today and was thinking how much taller the office condo building wold look if it switched places with the hotel? Wonder if this was ever considered or was even feasible. I also noticed how tall the second crane looks at the Federal courthouse when coming over the church street bridge. 

As the buildings are coming up, I think the hotel is shorter for good reason. If it were taller it would isolate the new camperdown courtyard area from main street/the peace center plaza. Since it's a little shorter and surrounded by the taller office building and apt building, it will make both areas more cohesive. 

21 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

That does look like a nice development. Not as much height as Camperdown, but overall I prefer that architecture to Camperdown; more traditional/classical in nature.  While I do like the camperdown apt building, I wish the top wasn't all the same level, should have had different heights to give it a more layered look and less chopped off. 

We don't have many rendereings of the County Square project yet, mainly just some rough sketch box conceptual renderings. I'm not really sure what to expect there either, but the descriptions sound pretty impressive. 

I checked out the preliminary renderings which jogged my memory; at full buildout it stands to be quite impressive and I'm pretty confident the architecture will be high quality. That's at least a decade out though.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, apaladin said:

Gman, I have a question. In the last picture, does it look like there is room from the 5th floor and the top of the tower crane for another 12 stories?? To me it looks like there is only room for another 7-8 floors. 

Yes there is enough room for the entire building.

19 hours ago, gman430 said:

Yes there is enough room for the entire building.

I will take your word for it but this is why I said that. Drop down one section from the top of the crane. That leaves 8 sections of crane tower down to the 5th floor, each representing one floor at most so how are they going to get 12 more floors there? Are you sure they won't need an extension? 

1 hour ago, apaladin said:

I will take your word for it but this is why I said that. Drop down one section from the top of the crane. That leaves 8 sections of crane tower down to the 5th floor, each representing one floor at most so how are they going to get 12 more floors there? Are you sure they won't need an extension? 

The condo floors are going to be shorter then the current office floors they are constructing. 

^^I still think something weird happened with the way these were sold. I bet we see more come online for sale.

Also, I just realized that they have finished the first "box" (if you view the building as 3 stacked boxes). I had not previously noticed that the first step back had been poured. The progress is fun to watch!

3 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

^^I still think something weird happened with the way these were sold. I bet we see more come online for sale.

Also, I just realized that they have finished the first "box" (if you view the building as 3 stacked boxes). I had not previously noticed that the first step back had been poured. The progress is fun to watch!

I'm sure a number of them went to developers since they were just raw shells. I'm sure if you are well intune with the market and have good contractor/architect connections you could make some good money building them out.

3 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Yeah, in Greenville we stack our boxes! No more just setting them side by side on the ground. :lol:

• Haha 1