Brightline Trains

FLheat

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I did a test with my mom... I said "if I told you Brightline hit a pedestrian, where do you assume (location-wise) the train hit them?"  She said "at a crosswalk." 

According to that story and where they filmed the news report, it was around weeds between two industrial office parks, away from any intersections.  So the person accessed the track and went to a relatively secluded area and got hit by the train.

"pedestrian."  technically, it's true, but their headline makes it sound like the Brightline train is Jaws or Cujo, looking for pedestrians to kill.  And on that note, also a runaway train jumping rails hitting cars and SUV's in a train accident apocalypse ala 'Christine" and that '70's movie "Duel," a train acting like a demon possessed sports car or semi with a bloodlust.  

Are we safe in DTO from Brightline?  technically, the tracks connect down in Taft...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Brightline and SunRail are getting funding from the federal government.

7 mill will go to SunRail to make safety improvements at the crossing along the line and just under 2 million will go to Brightline to help create an AI powered system that helps collect data on where people illegally trespass along its tracks. 
The rest will go to various projects in the Panhandle, SWFLA, and SFLA to help upgrade bridges and tracks. A portion will also workforce development for the rail industry.  A drop in the bucket but a step in the right direction none the less. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2023/09/26/florida-brightline-sunrail-federal-funds-infrastru.html

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, cubanbread said:

Brightline and SunRail are getting funding from the federal government.

7 mill will go to SunRail to make safety improvements at the crossing along the line and just under 2 million will go to Brightline to help create an AI powered system that helps collect data on where people illegally trespass along its tracks. 
The rest will go to various projects in the Panhandle, SWFLA, and SFLA to help upgrade bridges and tracks. A portion will also workforce development for the rail industry.  A drop in the bucket but a step in the right direction none the less. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2023/09/26/florida-brightline-sunrail-federal-funds-infrastru.html

I'd like to see the $250M or so that will connect Sunrail to that Intermodal Center, which is key...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aleonrivera said:

I believe with this now open, things can move faster (money) for the additional connections. The first step may be heavy, cumbersome, and time consuming, but it's the first step. The speculation is no longer there now that it's real.

Yeah.  Now that it's in operation, it's "real."  

Maybe FDOT can do a deal with Brightline- but BL will want to get paid. 

I think City of Orlando needs to collaborate with Volusia, Orange, Osceola, and pool $$$ together to raise the $250M (or 25% where FDOT pays 25% and the FRA pays the other 50%) and pitch it that its survival depends on it, so that they're investment doesn't turn into throwing already existing money away.

Or, have BL fund it and let them do bonds or whatever to get reimbursed.  I bet that BL ridership would increase if it was tied into Sunrail, where locals could take Sunrail to BL to Miami, since parking is a crapshoot...

16 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Yeah.  Now that it's in operation, it's "real."  

Maybe FDOT can do a deal with Brightline- but BL will want to get paid. 

I think City of Orlando needs to collaborate with Volusia, Orange, Osceola, and pool $$$ together to raise the $250M (or 25% where FDOT pays 25% and the FRA pays the other 50%) and pitch it that its survival depends on it, so that they're investment doesn't turn into throwing already existing money away.

Or, have BL fund it and let them do bonds or whatever to get reimbursed.  I bet that BL ridership would increase if it was tied into Sunrail, where locals could take Sunrail to BL to Miami, since parking is a crapshoot...

When does FDOT hand over ownership to the cities?  Presumably Lynx would take it over and they'd go from there.

On 9/21/2023 at 11:10 PM, codypet said:

My understanding was not all of the west leg was put back in service.  Also NASA's locomotives did not return.

West leg is open up to NASA Parkway.

East leg is pretty much dead without a restoration effort.

I believe FEC is doing all the shunting for them now, so yeah.

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

I wonder why not Orlando though? I wanna guzzle a few cocktails before I take a joyride down to Miami, not gonna drive to Lake Mary when I live downtown 🤔😕

Orlando also has the Mary Mary bar just after you pass the Brightline security checkpoint.  I think it’s actually a bit larger than the Miami station bar.

The premium lounge also has the bar incorporated while the Smart lounge does not however it’s easy to just walk over.

Edited by Ivanhoe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2023 at 12:44 AM, nite owℓ said:

I must be getting old bc I read both responses as Lake Mary lol. I was confused why Lake Mary would even have a stop, but didn't question it 👴

well, they have a TopGolf...why not a BL station too...

Brightline said the trains are running about 75% capacity so far on average, with 18 runs of trains entirely sold out so far.... but they're only running half the trains they're supposed to. They'll be go to a full schedule in a week, and are cutting the price if you get off at WPB by $10, since the train is usually at capacity from WPB-MIA, to encourage people to get off there.  Their Christmas Train, Polar Express will be taking a hiatus this year due to lack of train availability... they'll revisit its return once they get delivery of the 20 new passenger cars on order.

They also said they expect the Treasure Coast station to be fully open by 2028, but not where it will be quite yet

Edited by aent
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aent said:

Brightline said the trains are running about 75% capacity so far on average, with 18 runs of trains entirely sold out so far.... but they're only running half the trains they're supposed to. They'll be go to a full schedule in a week, and are cutting the price if you get off at WPB by $10, since the train is usually at capacity from WPB-MIA, to encourage people to get off there.  Their Christmas Train, Polar Express will be taking a hiatus this year due to lack of train availability... they'll revisit its return once they get delivery of the 20 new passenger cars on order.

They also said they expect the Treasure Coast station to be fully open by 2028, but not where it will be quite yet

Treasure Coast people are still complaining they don't want the train to come through there.

8 hours ago, aent said:

I am hoping the pricing is tiered a little better over time to the different stations, it will definitely help 

• Like 1