Brightline Trains

FLheat

3 hours ago, aent said:

So, in the end, DeSantis is proved right ala the new RCID (CFTOB) as their goal is exploring new revenue sources for the district, ala a BL station by Wide World of Sports ( for example).

As for Sunshine Corridor, either FDOT controls it and leases to BL, or vice versa, right? He says getting that money is unlikely, but the Fed is more likely to give that money bc it serves inner city modes.  And, they can still build an RCID station bc they will still use the I-4 corridor from The OCCC. 

Also, why did BL build the extra LRT tunnel at MCO?

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

So, in the end, DeSantis is proved right ala the new RCID (CFTOB) as their goal is exploring new revenue sources for the district, ala a BL station by Wide World of Sports ( for example).

As for Sunshine Corridor, either FDOT controls it and leases to BL, or vice versa, right? He says getting that money is unlikely, but the Fed is more likely to give that money bc it serves inner city modes.  And, they can still build an RCID station bc they will still use the I-4 corridor from The OCCC. 

This is the most likely scenario

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Also, why did BL build the extra LRT tunnel at MCO?

The one under JFB?  They didn't. GOAA did.  That was done a few years before BL started construction.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, codypet said:

image.thumb.png.190b9396b595e85a7d85939ad14de043.png

Check out this streetview shot looking south of the APM.  This is the 4th unneeded track for BL where the roadway lane is located.  

You can also get a good look of the Sunrail location.

@aent

I am bothered by this Sunshine Corridor situation...  I've got my opinions; they may not be the right ones.  I figured the Sunshine Corridor was created b/c Orange County figured they could be successful getting that federal money because they would in essence get, what the new RCID council is looking for as well, an income source, ala BL leasing the tracks (or easement) they use  from Sunrail.

I know that they and Universal in essence interfered with the original plan BL had along 417, and it's never good to interfere with a private company (so many directions this analysis can go into), but I always saw it as a win/win for all the parties involved.  I didn't realize they missed the window to get that federal money for 2023.

Anyway, I didn't realize this next point I'm about to make until just now...if BL and Sunrail can use the same track (but not the same platforms), good golly Miss Molly Sunrail is more or less already connected to MCO from the Mainline; all they would have to do is build out a platform and station in the above photo, make a RR Crossing just south of there, and build maybe a mile of track parallel to BL and once they're level with each other, connect them and use the Maintenance Facility bypass track.  Or just build parallel to all that and then deal with OUC.  BL pays OUC to use that spur, right?

Dunno. I hate to see BL delayed but I also hate to see Orange miss out on a golden opportunity to bring rail to the OCCC, and this is a great opportunity to do that.

The guy in the video complained that BL would be going really slow thru the Sunshine Corridor, but it was pretty obvious Disney paid him to say that while at the same time stating the travel speeds between Miami and WPB which were the same speeds.  Go figure.

My vision for Orlando Metro is that it has to excel on all these fronts:  the parks; The OCCC; the airport; rail.  Before Mica and CSX came to the table nobody even dreamed we would be here today, discussing a modified Phase 3 for Sunrail up to DeLand's butthole, a probable spur to OIA and a couple of major points of interest, and a higher speed rail already in operation and almost open to MCO.  I mean, Jax had an APM since the '80's servicing their downtown; Tampa had the Streetcar doing roughly the same.  But, dang, the city most criticized for urban sprawl is in this current situation with two types of rail...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

@aent

I am bothered by this Sunshine Corridor situation...  I've got my opinions; they may not be the right ones.  I figured the Sunshine Corridor was created b/c Orange County figured they could be successful getting that federal money because they would in essence get, what the new RCID council is looking for as well, an income source, ala BL leasing the tracks (or easement) they use  from Sunrail.

I know that they and Universal in essence interfered with the original plan BL had along 417, and it's never good to interfere with a private company (so many directions this analysis can go into), but I always saw it as a win/win for all the parties involved.  I didn't realize they missed the window to get that federal money for 2023.

Anyway, I didn't realize this next point I'm about to make until just now...if BL and Sunrail can use the same track (but not the same platforms), good golly Miss Molly Sunrail is more or less already connected to MCO from the Mainline; all they would have to do is build out a platform and station in the above photo, make a RR Crossing just south of there, and build maybe a mile of track parallel to BL and once they're level with each other, connect them and use the Maintenance Facility bypass track.  Or just build parallel to all that and then deal with OUC.  BL pays OUC to use that spur, right?

Dunno. I hate to see BL delayed but I also hate to see Orange miss out on a golden opportunity to bring rail to the OCCC, and this is a great opportunity to do that.

The guy in the video complained that BL would be going really slow thru the Sunshine Corridor, but it was pretty obvious Disney paid him to say that while at the same time stating the travel speeds between Miami and WPB which were the same speeds.  Go figure.

My vision for Orlando Metro is that it has to excel on all these fronts:  the parks; The OCCC; the airport; rail.  Before Mica and CSX came to the table nobody even dreamed we would be here today, discussing a modified Phase 3 for Sunrail up to DeLand's butthole, a probable spur to OIA and a couple of major points of interest, and a higher speed rail already in operation and almost open to MCO.  I mean, Jax had an APM since the '80's servicing their downtown; Tampa had the Streetcar doing roughly the same.  But, dang, the city most criticized for urban sprawl is in this current situation with two types of rail...

I would suspect the hang up right now is the change of use of the OUC corridor to a frequently traveled passenger corridor is the hang up.  I'm sure there needs to be an EIS for the corridor to assess impacts to adjacent property to go from an infrequent middle of the night coal rail line to a maybe twice or 3 times hourly passenger train system (I don't know if that process has started or if OUC even has the stomach for that use).  Remember, OUC still owns the line.  Also I imagine the OUC spur doesn't have PTC and is limited to 5mph.  To get a train to even go 35 mph (which I presume would be as fast as Sunrail would likely go on that corridor), it probably requires a reworking of the track and maybe alignment adjustments, and maybe even R/W.  All that costs money and Sunrail is so cash strapped that they are just now finalizing the original vision 10 years later. 

But if say a well financed rail company saw value in leasing the line as part  of a grander vision, they might be willing to negotiate the upfront infrastructure cost and all that effort in exchange for leasing rights over a certain timeframe.  I'm speculating at this point, but I suspect I'm not too far off from reality.

Once the connection is made to mainline Sunrail, a push for greater frequency I think will appear.  JFB right now cannot handle the traffic.   We need that DT rail connection now.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, codypet said:

I would suspect the hang up right now is the change of use of the OUC corridor to a frequently traveled passenger corridor is the hang up.  I'm sure there needs to be an EIS for the corridor to assess impacts to adjacent property to go from an infrequent middle of the night coal rail line to a maybe twice or 3 times hourly passenger train system (I don't know if that process has started or if OUC even has the stomach for that use).  Remember, OUC still owns the line.  Also I imagine the OUC spur doesn't have PTC and is limited to 5mph.  To get a train to even go 35 mph (which I presume would be as fast as Sunrail would likely go on that corridor), it probably requires a reworking of the track and maybe alignment adjustments, and maybe even R/W.  All that costs money and Sunrail is so cash strapped that they are just now finalizing the original vision 10 years later. 

But if say a well financed rail company saw value in leasing the line as part  of a grander vision, they might be willing to negotiate the upfront infrastructure cost and all that effort in exchange for leasing rights over a certain timeframe.  I'm speculating at this point, but I suspect I'm not too far off from reality.

Once the connection is made to mainline Sunrail, a push for greater frequency I think will appear.  JFB right now cannot handle the traffic.   We need that DT rail connection now.

I reckon the original intention was to build a track parallel to the OUC spur within the same easement, right?

Phase 2(b?) DeLand?   I am assuming that phase will add a good number of ridership.

I can see a partnership between BL and FDOT/Sunrail if they could work out the numbers.  As a worst case scenario, maybe BL would do just that, Sunrail would connect just to the Mainline and use either Sand Lake or Meadowoods stations or both depending on the direction; dunno, and then, per that video, BL may do the original route down 417.  But with this worst case scenario, no Sunrail to I-Drive...

5 hours ago, codypet said:

here is the plan they published showing the $$$ commitment from Universal and the funding sources they would tap:

https://corporate.sunrail.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Sunrail-Workshop-Brightline-Universal-Presentation-FINAL.pdf

https://www.orlandosrightrail.com/updates/

no update since April 5

Edited by jrs2

I don’t agree with everything Brayden discusses in that video (I do appreciate his updates on all Orlando topics, generally) but what I do agree with is that Brightline is intended as intra-city rail at high speeds, not an intercity rail system. That hybrid approach really muddies the water. 

In a perfect world, Sunrail continues to expand its services to OIA and OCCC, and over to Gaylord.  Brightline could connect somewhere along this corridor but their primary focus is on fast and efficient intracity connections while Sunrail does what it’s supposed to do — commute riders in the city. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I don’t agree with everything Brayden discusses in that video (I do appreciate his updates on all Orlando topics, generally) but what I do agree with is that Brightline is intended as intra-city rail at high speeds, not an intercity rail system. That hybrid approach really muddies the water. 

In a perfect world, Sunrail continues to expand its services to OIA and OCCC, and over to Gaylord.  Brightline could connect somewhere along this corridor but their primary focus is on fast and efficient intracity connections while Sunrail does what it’s supposed to do — commute riders in the city. 

I don't think the hybrid approach is a problem at all. Brightline thought they would never hit profitability until they had the Orlando station opened, and the hybrid approach with the Boca and Aventura made them hit profitability before that. The big problem is the government wants to control the rail line, including the route and ownership. Brightline said this is too expensive, the government said they would pay for it, and now years later, they haven't. Typical government BS.

I think Brightline sees the righting on the wall and they're redirecting their resources to Brightline West while Orlando figures out if it wants rail through it to Tampa. Sad.

Edited by aent
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, aent said:

I don't think the hybrid approach is a problem at all. Brightline thought they would never hit profitability until they had the Orlando station opened, and the hybrid approach with the Boca and Aventura made them hit profitability before that. The big problem is the government wants to control the rail line, including the route and ownership. Brightline said this is too expensive, the government said they would pay for it, and now years later, they haven't. Typical government BS.

I think Brightline sees the righting on the wall and they're redirecting their resources to Brightline West while Orlando figures out if it wants rail through it to Tampa. Sad.

That may be true, but its not like BL West is all figured out either in a similar complex scenario. That line is connecting Vegas to like the outskirts of San Bernadino. None of that HSR is passing thru urban LA at all; rather, all rural.  Orlando is more complicated. The rural portion between Cocoa and MCO was easy, like San Bernadino to Vegas. But the urban portion ala Sunshine Corridor is the issue.  They don't have that issue out west.  

What did I miss? Didn't Sunshine Corridor just get proposed a few months ago? And study funding just get awarded as a first step?  Dee's spat with Disney happened March 2022 and Sunshine Corridor many months later and Disney pulling out by the end of 2022 early 2023, right? We're just in June now...

And, the whole point to the Sunshine Corridor was because BL said that route was too expensive, an extra $1B vs the 417 alignment. So the County and partners later came up with SC to fund the line to make it more feasible for BL.  They may have strong-armed BL away from Hunter's Creek, but not because they wanted to own that alternate alignment in and of itself, rather because they wanted to also expand Sunrail as well to MCO and service OCCC and Universal en route to Disney...owning the line was merely a byproduct of this. Right? Unless it was their plan all along but didn't announce it until later.. 

21 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

What did I miss? Didn't Sunshine Corridor just get proposed a few months ago? And study funding just get awarded as a first step?  Dee's spat with Disney happened March 2022 and Sunshine Corridor many months later and Disney pulling out by the end of 2022 early 2023, right? We're just in June now...

Its now been over a year, and they funded a study a year ago to figure out what they need to get a grant submitted. Now a year later, they didn't even submit anything to try to get some of the federal money and missed the deadline, with pure silence. Brightline offered to operate SunRail as well, but Orlando/Orange County are seemingly giving them a resounding no, and want to give it to Lynx or CFX. Brightline was planning to have the 417 route under construction by now, instead we got a 5+ year delay at the very minimum. It seems at this point we will not get an update for another year on if or when anything will happen on the Sunshine Corridor, given that is the next opportunity for them to submit to the feds for funds.

10 hours ago, aent said:

Its now been over a year, and they funded a study a year ago to figure out what they need to get a grant submitted. Now a year later, they didn't even submit anything to try to get some of the federal money and missed the deadline, with pure silence. Brightline offered to operate SunRail as well, but Orlando/Orange County are seemingly giving them a resounding no, and want to give it to Lynx or CFX. Brightline was planning to have the 417 route under construction by now, instead we got a 5+ year delay at the very minimum. It seems at this point we will not get an update for another year on if or when anything will happen on the Sunshine Corridor, given that is the next opportunity for them to submit to the feds for funds.

https://www.hsrail.org/blog/brightline-announces-sunshine-corridor/

July 1, 2022 Sunshine Corridor was announced.  However they say it's been discussed for several years.  That is news to me because never expected BL to go past MCO b/c I didn't think it would be a success.  I didn't even realize they were discussing the alignment to Disney and Tampa until there was drama over Hunter's Creek.  I never saw that as feasible partly based on the Mica/Obama Rail analysis back a decade ago.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/553423-i-drive-group-launches-campaign-for-sunshine-corridor-passenger-rail-project/

The Sunshine Corridor campaign is launched - Sept 1, 2022.

But back to my point...the Sunshine Corridor and the big announcement and them courting the FRA and announcing a combined corridor- that is not that old of a proposal; a nebulous alignment may be, but that entity going after funding sources etc. isn't; it was announced last September.

There hasn't been one article about any of what you discussed above (aside from that video summary) since they said they got an extension to ask for the money; rather, merely getting the study money...

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2023/01/05/orange-county-convention-center-could-get-sunrail-station-in-new-deal/

This is from January.  Kind of confusing.  The Right Rail push discussed SUnrail linking to BL at MCO; it doesn't say anything about BL also stopping at The OCCC en route to the SW.  This is strictly about Sunrail.

So, maybe you're right.  There seems to be two competing or complimentary programs afoot, both that involve Sunrail.

Last I heard BrightLine West planned to connect to the existing MetroLink line at Rancho Cucamonga.  This service already exists and does not have build-out issues like our SunRail connection.  From there, passengers can get to DT Los Angeles and many other locations around the SoCal region, including Disney Land area in Anaheim, Long Beach, Santa Monica, and Oceanside in San Diego area.  This provides far better connectivity than what we have currently in Orlando/Central Florida and should be what we strive for, IMO. 

https://metrolinktrains.com/rider-info/general-info/stations/rancho-cucamonga/

metrolink-all-connections-map-22.png.87df271b0c5f939d995122bbfa5129fd.png

Edited by dcluley98
Edit for a higher resolution system map
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Last I heard BrightLine West planned to connect to the existing MetroLink line at Rancho Cucamonga.  This service already exists and does not have build-out issues like our SunRail connection.  From there, passengers can get to DT Los Angeles and many other locations around the SoCal region, including Disney Land area in Anaheim, Long Beach, Santa Monica, and Oceanside in San Diego area.  This provides far better connectivity than what we have currently in Orlando/Central Florida and should be what we strive for, IMO. 

https://metrolinktrains.com/rider-info/general-info/stations/rancho-cucamonga/

metrolink-all-connections-map-22.png.87df271b0c5f939d995122bbfa5129fd.png

LA's aggressive transit expansion plans and construction is impressive, to say the least. 

5 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

LA's aggressive transit expansion plans and construction is impressive, to say the least. 

I went to LA last year and was so excited to ride transit all around the city. On the first day, some sketchy people were loitering at one of the stops and smoking what I'm pretty sure was meth. I also saw a homeless man on the train take his penis out for no particular reason.

2 days later, I witnessed a knife fight on the train in which a man was stabbed multiple times in his ribs. Later that day, I watched a crazed druggie shouting racial epithets get beat up by a group of men. I rented a car the next morning and never looked back.

LA's public transit expanding is great and all but safety-wise, no thanks. Idk if they stepped up security since last year, but using LA public transportation terrifies me in a way I never felt in NY, Paris, London, Toronto etc. Way too many lawless crazies in LA.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

I went to LA last year and was so excited to ride transit all around the city. On the first day, some sketchy people were loitering at one of the stops and smoking what I'm pretty sure was meth. I also saw a homeless man on the train take his penis out for no particular reason.

2 days later, I witnessed a knife fight on the train in which a man was stabbed multiple times in his ribs. Later that day, I watched a crazed druggie shouting racial epithets get beat up by a group of men. I rented a car the next morning and never looked back.

LA's public transit expanding is great and all but safety-wise, no thanks. Idk if they stepped up security since last year, but using LA public transportation terrifies me in a way I never felt in NY, Paris, London, Toronto etc. Way too many lawless crazies in LA.

NYC subway is great. The Underground is great. The Paris CRT is sketch.  In LA, you must have been on the Blue Line from LA Live to Santa Monica...passing the hood and USC along the way.  Yeah, sketchy. But Comp-ton, Ci-ty of Comp-ton is there too.  That's a not so great part of town.  Carson too.  It's very GTA San Andreas.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

It sounds like you’re in the perfect spot then, in pristine Orlando.

19 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

NYC subway is great. The Underground is great. The Paris CRT is sketch.  In LA, you must have been on the Blue Line from LA Live to Santa Monica...passing the hood and USC along the way.  Yeah, sketchy. But Comp-ton, Ci-ty of Comp-ton is there too.  That's a not so great part of town.  Carson too.  It's very GTA San Andreas.  

The Purple Line extension to the west side is going to be such a game changer — a lot of work to do but at least a city with a vision.

31 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

The Paris Metro was the best one out of all of them. Never saw one sketchy thing or person. Some lady asked for change but she was very polite and well-mannered and not cracked out like you see here in the US.

16 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Well I'm in St. Cloud (moving back to St. Pete in August!) and no, not pristine but overall, it's much cleaner here.

9 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

The Purple Line extension to the west side is going to be such a game changer — a lot of work to do but at least a city with a vision.

At least there is "a" "vision" with Orlando (such as it is), because the csx mainline went thru a few of the traditional downtowns (Orl, WP, Kiss), two major hospital systems (Advent, Orl Health),  and Amtrak stops (WP, Orl, Kiss, Deland), and got converted to CRT.  The other nodes miss the mark a bit, some less than others.

The Rails to Trails of the late '90's gave up valuable easement to get close to UCF, but the potential OBX alignment could get a train to WG, Apopka,  and Mt Dora, and the OUC spur to MCO.  And that spur in Sanford can get CRT to OSI property.  The lines and easements are already there to be converted.  But as far as incorporating say LRT on existing streets or using Expressway Authority easement for LRT or CRT, it's been a complete failure.

BL built tunnels and bridges and new track along 528 like it was nothing.  We have 408 and 417 and a node like UCF at the terminus of 408, which would totally work, but instead... crickets.

But LA is huge; they were big back in the 1920s.  Orlando is fortunate to have what it has mainly because of geography and the maneuvering of "local" RR companies, otherwise, no dice. CSX and FEC made what's here now possible.

52 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

At least there is "a" "vision" with Orlando (such as it is), because the csx mainline went thru a few of the traditional downtowns (Orl, WP, Kiss), two major hospital systems (Advent, Orl Health),  and Amtrak stops (WP, Orl, Kiss, Deland), and got converted to CRT.  The other nodes miss the mark a bit, some less than others.

The Rails to Trails of the late '90's gave up valuable easement to get close to UCF, but the potential OBX alignment could get a train to WG, Apopka,  and Mt Dora, and the OUC spur to MCO.  And that spur in Sanford can get CRT to OSI property.  The lines and easements are already there to be converted.  But as far as incorporating say LRT on existing streets or using Expressway Authority easement for LRT or CRT, it's been a complete failure.

BL built tunnels and bridges and new track along 528 like it was nothing.  We have 408 and 417 and a node like UCF at the terminus of 408, which would totally work, but instead... crickets.

But LA is huge; they were big back in the 1920s.  Orlando is fortunate to have what it has mainly because of geography and the maneuvering of "local" RR companies, otherwise, no dice. CSX and FEC made what's here now possible.

I would say that Charlotte is fortunate to have what it has, given that it has what was destined for Orlando back in the 90s if it wasn’t voted down by the powers that be on I-Drive and at Universal by one vote.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I would say that Charlotte is fortunate to have what it has, given that it has what was destined for Orlando back in the 90s if it wasn’t voted down by the powers that be on I-Drive and at Universal by one vote.

I forgot that Universal was against that, and the station was destined for their parking garage to boot.

Yeah, Hood administration left a grumpy on that Johnny Depp bed...ironically, though, someone from the same party with a different vision was working with CSX to make CRT a reality.  Where is @spenser1058to comment on THAT guy.  I keep thinking he's got an ipad in his Chuck Wagon In The Sky...

We really needed that $.01...

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I forgot that Universal was against that, and the station was destined for their parking garage to boot.

Didn't it keep going all the way to Sea World in the first Phase?  I guess if it went all the way to the Convention Center, Sea World isn't that much further.

edit:  It did. 

The Central Florida Regional Transportation Authority (LYNX) is planning development of a light rail transit (LRT) system generally paralleling Interstate-4 along CSX right-of-way in Orlando, FL. The Locally Preferred Alternative (LPA) is a 16.3-mile, 20-station system from Loch Haven/Princeton in the north to Central Florida Parkway in the south, with expanded local and circulator bus service in the corridor. The 14.6 mile southern segment of the corridor is being advanced as the project’s first Minimum Operable Segment (MOS). The MOS extends from downtown Orlando south to an interim terminus and station located southeast of the interchange of I-4 and the Central Florida Parkway. Estimated capital costs for the MOS total $600.1 million (escalated), with estimated daily ridership totaling 103,700.

The northern segment of the proposed LRT corridor would extend from the interim terminus at Loch Haven/Princeton to Sanford in north Seminole County. A future extension of the south corridor would extend from the Central Florida Parkway to southeast of I-4 and SR 417 in Osceola County.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, codypet said:

Didn't it keep going all the way to Sea World in the first Phase?  I guess if it went all the way to the Convention Center, Sea World isn't that much further.

edit:  It did. 

wow. they were using CSX ROW part of the way?  CSX had something to do with it's nixing, I guarantee you.  Just like Obama-rail and FEC, I bet you CSX was developing their modernization plan and needed The State to subsidize or pay for it and that's when Mica came up with the CSX/Sunrail deal.  If Lynx would have merely been on that easement, they wouldn't have seen the need (The State) from buying the mainline track from CSX in exchange for modernizing the other track to the west and giving $$$ for the intermodal center in Winter Haven.

Boom.  Geraldo just opened up Capone's basement.