Virginia Beach Arena (Cancelled)

vdogg

Looks like Seattle is officially out of the running. NBA voted down the proposal to relocate the Kings there. David Stern speculated on the possibility of expansion, depending on a new TV deal. More of the same-ol, same-ol.

Meanwhile, I wonder if VB still wants to go through with this arena, with the entertainment complex coming?

Wow, I am surprised, I figured Seattle would be the sure bet with the relocation of the Kings.

• 5 months later...

Bill DeSteph, the same guy who was against building an arena, apparently dropped a hint or two about "investors" interested in building. At least, that's what I took from the few seconds I glanced at the article (damn VP paywall).

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/10/va-beach-officials-downplay-destephs-talk-arena

Edited by BFG

• 4 weeks later...

And it's back on the table...

http://insidebiz.com/news/public-private-proposal-revives-arena-deal-virginia-beach

A failed deal to build an 18,000-seat sports and entertainment arena in Virginia Beach has been resurrected in a proposal as a partnership between Newport News developer W.M. Jordan and Philadelphia-based Comcast, according to a document filed Friday night with the city of Virginia Beach.

WM Jordan and especially Bruce Thompson are local developers with a lot of pull in the area. Thompson wants to build the convention center hotel and sees this as the catalyst for it. Due to the local influence on the project, and without relying on a major league team moving, I feel much more confident than ever before that this may actually go through.

However, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me three times...

Lets hope we are not fooled again.

I remember when the Kings plan fell through, Mayor Sessoms said he wanted to keep the arena deal on the table but on the backburner. Sounds like this could be the real deal, esp. with Bruce Thompson's name being on this...

Today's Pilot has a few updates to the story, mentioning that the arena price tag might be significantly lower now that no pro sports team is attached to the project. I'm okay with that...build it and when relocation rumors surface, at least you'll have the venue in place to show you are serious. Article also says Bruce met with Comcast earlier this year...

Pilot says the arena would be finished by late-2016...if light rail goes through, wasn't 2016 the projected date for that too? Or was that to a "Rosemont Station"?

Long term thinking, but if some sort of entertainment and shopping complex ends up happening on the Dome site, the 18th/19th street corridor could start to have a nice urban feel. There's already some clustered shopping and dining at Croc's, Wearings, WRV and Badass Coffee. If the few residential streets in the middle could be converted we'd have a nice core starting to happen.

I remember hearing about a mixed-use project somewhere around here too: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/115697-19th-street-market-square/

Edited by vboceanfront

• 2 months later...

I said this in a different thread a few days ago, but, now that JC Penney is closing their store at Military Circle Mall, how about they look at putting any new arena there?  I think the oceanfront is quite centralized enough.  The Gallery at Military Circle is in a death spiral already.  There's plenty of land, parking, highway access, and they could reasonably just build a spur to get light rail right there (it's almost there now.)  That area is far more centralized and could be redeveloped in to a mixed-use shopping and entertainment district anchored by the arena. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see how WM Jordan stands a chance against this proposal. This is honestly the most solid proposal I have ever seen for anything in Va. Beach. The only bad part is I find myself agreeing with John Moss ( I had to look out my window to check for flying pigs). I am beyond excited for this project.

I don't see how WM Jordan stands a chance against this proposal. This is honestly the most solid proposal I have ever seen for anything in Va. Beach. The only bad part is I find myself agreeing with John Moss ( I had to look out my window to check for flying pigs). I am beyond excited for this project.

:shok: Agreeing with John Moss?  Well, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.  I'm surprised he wasn't upset it was financed by a Chinese construction company.  

A privately funded stadium is impossible to turn down in my opinion.  I think this deal is done.

I'm surprised he wasn't upset it was financed by a Chinese construction company.  

You'd be surprised. Fiscal conservatives are okay with doing business with China.  Whether to finance construction or to do manufacturing, savvy businessmen will be in favor of lowering costs however they can.  And besides, it's not like the Chinese government themselves are financing this project.  That would be a different story.

Anyway, now onto a more on-topic comment: I am so excited for this thing to get built! I know it still has to get approved and everything but I wish it could start right now.  This would certainly be a landmark development for the City.

I have a hard time believing people would be against this...if it lowers costs and makes the price of light rail expansion a little lower, I'm all in favor of it. The concerts and NCAA tournament games that could follow bring a lot of potential.

I have a hard time believing people would be against this...if it lowers costs and makes the price of light rail expansion a little lower, I'm all in favor of it. The concerts and NCAA tournament games that could follow bring a lot of potential.

Lol. Have you seen the Pilot comments? Trust me, they're against it ( at least the same ones who were against light rail)

Ohhh no. I'm not stepping on that landmine! :P

Kerry Dougherty's latest editorial is called "Here the Beach goes again, flirting with funds, games". I can only imagine it's anti-arena, and I am resisting the urge to read. I don't want to get frustrated.