Virginia Beach Arena (Cancelled)

vdogg

I had the opportunity to attend the public presentation tonight and by and large I was pleased. This was my first foray into any type of city council type meeting and from reading people's general reactions to progressive ideas on local forums I headed in expecting the worst. I left somewhat surprised as there was very little of anyone outright against the notion of an arena here, some were even on board. I'd say 80% of the comments stemmed around the plans, use and ownership of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and traffic/parking concerns, mostly by persons living within a few mile radius of the proposed site. Overall I still feel like for our area the pros far outweigh the cons and am keeping our fingers crossed that this comes to fruition.

I'm pleased to hear the meeting went well and that most seemed in favor of the area. I think it could be a huge plus for the city and region to attract a sports team and perhaps a bigger venue for concerts that may bypass our area.  Thanks for the update. 

Edited by urbanvb

2 hours ago, urbanvb said:

From reading this article in the Pilot, there was 2 hours of questions and some seemed angry. Not one positive comment in this article. Seriously??!!

http://www.pilotonline.com/news/government/local/residents-give-virginia-beach-officials-an-earful-about-arena-deal/article_8d14bdea-b16b-5ed7-a259-0df2b83aa795.html

Well, I guess we know what the Pilot's agenda is....

6 hours ago, michael ary said:

I had the opportunity to attend the public presentation tonight and by and large I was pleased. This was my first foray into any type of city council type meeting and from reading people's general reactions to progressive ideas on local forums I headed in expecting the worst. I left somewhat surprised as there was very little of anyone outright against the notion of an arena here, some were even on board. I'd say 80% of the comments stemmed around the plans, use and ownership of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and traffic/parking concerns, mostly by persons living within a few mile radius of the proposed site. Overall I still feel like for our area the pros far outweigh the cons and am keeping our fingers crossed that this comes to fruition.

We're there any city officials there? I fear if not that they may be swayed by the pilot's biased reporting.

4 hours ago, urbanvb said:

From reading this article in the Pilot, there was 2 hours of questions and some seemed angry. Not one positive comment in this article. Seriously??!!

http://www.pilotonline.com/news/government/local/residents-give-virginia-beach-officials-an-earful-about-arena-deal/article_8d14bdea-b16b-5ed7-a259-0df2b83aa795.html

I was actually there for about three hours last night and I ultimately had to leave, and I did see the news piece on channel 13 at 11 last night. The woman interviewed on the news was the first person speaking when the questions/comments began and lives in the neighborhood next to the auto zone and was concerned about traffic. However, as soon as she started talking about "getting steel and parts" from China I kind of tuned her out as I'm sure she has no problem with the clothes on her back, cell phone in her pocket and assorted household goods in her home being made outside of the US. As stated, the spirit of the dialogue by and far wasn't anti arena as much as it was concern over the memorial and the ability to move the influx of event goers in and out as efficiently and safely as possible. That being said, I would have loved to have seen more of persons like myself who are on board with this to have been present. There is a due diligence we have and I feel that we represent a larger percentage of persons that do want this. I believe that there is one more public meeting, Dec 1st if I'm correct, and we need to make sure that the city does know that this is wanted and that we want this here.

Good to know the response was mostly positive...the Pilot's stance doesn't surprise me at all. Also wouldn't be surprised if a certain editorial writer who lives at the Beach has something to say about this soon.

Sounds like this is all but done, and council just wanted to smooth things over with the public, since it had been so long.

I was there last night at the convention center and to echo what went on for the duration of the meeting. It went off with a great speech by the CEO of ESG, and the police chief making a small lecture.  When the floor opened up to anyone speaking or making a comment.   All of the people trying to make a comment or speech was above the age of 70 and their only concern was the Veterans Memorial and to keep the sanctity of it.  There must have been 5-6 presenters all echoing the same part of the memorial.  I'm a Veteran myself and I'm all in favor in keeping the memorial and preserving it.  I didn't want to hear the same people asking the same thing over and over again.  I just got up and left.  Again it went well without the people from Westminster speaking.  

• Like 2

http://www.pilotonline.com/news/government/local/transportation-sec-layne-says-oceanfront-arena-could-spell-traffic-troubles/article_975d21e4-5380-5c7a-bc32-c99972a628c0.html

:angry: I am convinced that the pilot would only be happy once we revert to some podunk little backwater. What a sensationalist article.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2015, 11:00:21, vdogg said:

http://www.pilotonline.com/news/government/local/transportation-sec-layne-says-oceanfront-arena-could-spell-traffic-troubles/article_975d21e4-5380-5c7a-bc32-c99972a628c0.html

:angry: I am convinced that the pilot would only be happy once we revert to some podunk little backwater. What a sensationalist article.

I have to disagree on this one, the article seems to present an honest evaluation of an issue (traffic) without turning the article into a hit job.  Also notice that the push for light rail in the article that would probably fix the problem. Living in a couple college towns I can see how big events majorly disrupt local traffic, this is a conversation we should have now to mitigate the problem and enhance the stadium and beach area.

I'm cool with arena, but I think it's assanine that parking garages aren't built into the infrastructure plans from the get-go.

I wonder if it's to say, "look how little we have to play in to this arena.  Then they'll say, oh crap we need to build parking garages in a year.  

You cant ant draw a two mile circle around the arena to consume all available parking spaces and say, "yep, we have enough spots. You can't add more drawn on the oceanfront and not add parking and traffic route solutions.

An easy fix, at least for locals, would be light rail extended from Newtown to the Oceanfront. There would be no reason for most locals to drive there if you could easily catch a ride to Tide station. Plus as it would be a special event (and ending after the normal Tide running hours), they could set up as many of the trains at the arena and once full leave.

I dunno...a garage tacks on, what, an extra $10-15 million? I get you want to minimize the city's investment, but as long as you're paying for infrastructure, I feel that the 10-15M would serve as a necessary evil for the long run.

Regardless of any events or potential team, I don't think having people park and walk from whatever side street (esp. out-of-towners) will cut it, and IMO, I think it's a tad different than having them park and walk to the strip.

I agree that a garage is a necessity as well, I just can't see parking in the 31st or 9th street garages a viable solution. Just go ahead and foot the cost for the garage (and light rail) now as we know it is almost guaranteed to be implemented at some point anyways. It only gets more expensive the longer they wait

Dyer and Moss actually support it, believe it or not.
http://www.pilotonline.com/opinion/editorial/editorial-approve-oceanfront-arena-plan/article_1eb70063-dc0b-52a4-86ff-59a7c92abfa9.html

Rosemary Wilson had some concerns about the terms of the deal; I dunno if they were addressed during the public meetings, but I could see her being the one "no" vote.