Virginia Beach Arena (Cancelled)

vdogg

Great point. There is a real possibility to connect the Dome site straight back to the arena/convention center and have some development off of the strip (which I think would really benefit the Beach). Did the company in Northern Virginia fall through on the Dome, or are they just delayed?

Fell through. Didn't meet the deadline to obtain financing so it was put back out for bid. Wonder if these Chinese investors are interested in taking this on as well? If the city were smart they would approach them about this and tout it as a possible enhancement to the arena.

Things are moving forward folks, getting close to final approvals. This thing will have quite a presence when viewed from the freeway. This is going up before the planning commission Feb 11th. Planning docs include new renderings and detailed schematics. Enjoy. :)

http://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/planning/boards-commissions-committees/Documents/PC/2015/02Feb/20150211PLN-CUR-02-US-MANAGEMENT-ALT.pdf

This was approved by the planning commission and now goes before council. It is important to note that this vote is for the design of the project and not the final agreement. The final vote is scheduled for spring with groundbreaking to take place in the fall.

The Peterson group is on a 6 month extension that was voted on back in November of 2014.   Financing wasn't the issue.   Look at the National Harbor which is a 2 billion development.  

I was referring to the previous guy, he didn't meet the deadline and council put it back out to bid. The Peterson group is a very recent addition to this process and haven't posted any solid plans yet. We're basically starting from square one, again, as far as the Dome site is concerned.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You would think they would want to build it with the plan of having it in place at the time of completion. Less parking needed if more people can get a ride via the Tide... 

The problem with that is that if you wait until the LR goes that far, you might be waiting 20-30 years. The city is really dragging their feet on the light rail. 

I think the new arena will be a favorite for some regional NCAA men's and women's basketball tournament games. Once built, we should actually bid to host the women's NCAA final 4. With ODU's history and the region's reputation for supporting women's basketball, this should be a no-brainer.

I also think that a new arena would open up the possibility for us hosting the ACC tournament. The beach setting has to be a little appealing to fans of the ACC and the location is prime as we are located near most of the cities and towns that the teams are from. If we work out our transportation issues before hand, we will be a serious player I believe. If not the ACC, I am sure the CUSA will be itching to play in a location outside of Birmingham.

Finally, the addition of the arena will also benefit TownCenter and downtown Norfolk too. If we somehow attract an NBA to the beach, there will be the need for even more hotels because the NBA players, coaches, executives, and some exclusive fans will demand higher-end hotels to stay in. Also, we can expect to see some million dollar neighborhoods developed which is uncommon for this region.

I think the new arena will be a favorite for some regional NCAA men's and women's basketball tournament games. Once built, we should actually bid to host the women's NCAA final 4. With ODU's history and the region's reputation for supporting women's basketball, this should be a no-brainer.

I also think that a new arena would open up the possibility for us hosting the ACC tournament. The beach setting has to be a little appealing to fans of the ACC and the location is prime as we are located near most of the cities and towns that the teams are from. If we work out our transportation issues before hand, we will be a serious player I believe. If not the ACC, I am sure the CUSA will be itching to play in a location outside of Birmingham.

Finally, the addition of the arena will also benefit TownCenter and downtown Norfolk too. If we somehow attract an NBA to the beach, there will be the need for even more hotels because the NBA players, coaches, executives, and some exclusive fans will demand higher-end hotels to stay in. Also, we can expect to see some million dollar neighborhoods developed which is uncommon for this region.

Apparently the ACC is already very interested in having the tournament in Virginia Beach should an appropriate arena be built. Ultimately, I see the ACC Tournament rotating around between DC, Greensboro, Charlotte, and VB. VB still keeps the tournament close to NC (which is VERY important to the league). There would also likely be NCAA Tournaments played in VB (first two real rounds). As for the women's Final Four, I think that ship has sailed in this day and age... but they might get a Sweet 16/Elite 8 pod or two.

As far as an NBA/NHL team, don't count on it. I think our arena would be used more like Kansas City uses their's. Oh yeah, we might at least get AHL hockey back. We might also attract an NBA D-League team. But major league sports coming to this area is VERY unlikely for the next 10-20 years. The last SERIOUS chance we had was Expos. The Kings were clearly using us as a bargaining chip all along and had no real interest in relocating.

From what I understand, they'd try to lure Arena Football here. Not the af2 Nighthawks we had in the early-2000s, but a true AFL team.

Now that would be pretty cool. It's not major leagues, but it would be fun to see. And would probably outdraw the Admirals or Tides.

It pains me to admit it, but this area's best chances were with the Rhinos in the 90s or the Expos in the mid-2000s. I don't see any other league expanding or moving a team anytime soon.

The divisiveness of this area further killed any past opportunity.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They just need to be real with parking concerns, ingress and egress for events, traffic congestion numbers, and the need for more police, EMS hiring/presence with the added population influx of such events into the oceanfront area.  I don't remember seeing any added parking garages to the site or replacing surfaces lots with garages.  You think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting article from Inside Business...Andrea Kilmer from ESG seems to be pretty optimistic about an NHL expansion.
http://insidebiz.com/news/beach-arena-proposal-overseer-talks-about-money-pro-sports-future-thats-sunny-and-another-city

"We are ranked in the top three locations primed to have an NHL team," Kilmer said. "But you have to have a facility to be in the conversation."

From today until Aug. 10, the National Hockey League will accept formal bids from interested parties.

"How great is that timing?" Kilmer asked.

The NHL said the earliest any new teams would begin playing would be in 2017-18.

The Virginia Beach arena is projected to open in late 2017 or early 2018.

Would love to see all that happen, but I think all those figures are coincidence. 

Interesting article from Inside Business...Andrea Kilmer from ESG seems to be pretty optimistic about an NHL expansion.
http://insidebiz.com/news/beach-arena-proposal-overseer-talks-about-money-pro-sports-future-thats-sunny-and-another-city

Would love to see all that happen, but I think all those figures are coincidence. 

Not sure where this article is getting its information from. Las Vegas and Quebec seem to be the two most likely cities to gain an expansion team, and it isn't really even close. In reading several articles about the potential upcoming expansion, there is nothing at all about Virginia Beach listed anywhere. Seattle and Portland are also being talked about but they did not submit bids as of yet. 

A simple Google search of NHL Expansion Virginia Beach turned up and article that ranked Virginia Beach 4th behind Houston, Las Vegas, and Hartford based on Total Personal Income surplus. 

The odds that Virginia Beach is getting an NHL team are very slim IMO. However, I think the new arena may attract the AHL back to the area.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Inside Business spoke to ESG CEO Andrea Kilmer...she's hoping for an urgent decision from City Council. 

http://insidebiz.com/news/it-time-decision-be-made

Some very optimistic stuff from the interview...worth the read. Apparently, naming rights are a huge possibility (I'm thinking Dollar Tree or Norfolk Southern), but the tentative name - if/when it gets approved - would be Virginia Beach Arena. Was hoping for Hampton Roads Arena, but I'm just trying to see this finally happen.

Inside Business spoke to ESG CEO Andrea Kilmer...she's hoping for an urgent decision from City Council. 

http://insidebiz.com/news/it-time-decision-be-made

Some very optimistic stuff from the interview...worth the read. Apparently, naming rights are a huge possibility (I'm thinking Dollar Tree or Norfolk Southern), but the tentative name - if/when it gets approved - would be Virginia Beach Arena. Was hoping for Hampton Roads Arena, but I'm just trying to see this finally happen.

IB: At what point would you decide it's not worth it?

Kilmer: "I would have to say that date is coming soon. We need to either get the approval from the city or the city is not going to accept the deal that's on the table."

I've gotta say,it appears to really be crap or get off the pot time. I get the gist from the interview that VB just continues to drag its feet on the arena and the light rail as well. It would really be a dagger for VB if they cannot get their act together and get this approved. And this comment right here makes me wonder just how bad council wants it. Maybe Norfolk would pick up the slack, but I'm getting tired of the NIMBY act from so many in VB. I mean sheesh... there are some complaining about the "eyesore" that is the Topgolf facility. 

I just really wonder if the Scope is going to be the premier arena in the area for another decade or two. Sigh.

Edited by HRVT
  • Like 1