Virginia Beach Arena (Cancelled)

vdogg

And now I see why the city of Sacramento hates the Maloof family so much. Why a city 3,000 miles away was even dragged into this, I'll never know. There's more than enough cities on the West Coast that could've been used as leverage. Honestly, Seattle and Anaheim were more than enough.

If I go any further with my thoughts on the Maloofs, I'll probably get banned.

So as I alluded to my previous post, something happened behind the scenes for the VA Beach deal to fall apart. Various news outlets are reporting "rumors" that the Kings have been sold and are now moving to Seattle. Not sure what to make of it until there is an official statement from either the league or the team, but it may be what happened. 

Seattle News station: http://www.king5.com/sports/blazers/Rumors-suggest-the-Sacramento-Kings-are-moving-to-Seattle-186149552.html

NBC Sports: http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/09/george-maloofs-virginia-beach-arena-ploy-predictably-falls-apart/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

That wouldn't surprise me, there is a lot of money in Seattle and it would be easy for the owners of the Kings to use another city to make Seattle nervous about not getting the team that they would pony up the money the owners would want for it.

Also the Islanders will be moving to Brooklyn next year so I don't know of many teams that would be looking to relocate any time soon.  I still think it would be in the city's best interest to try and court the MLS because it is just a matter of time before they begin to expand into the Southeast.

Edited by urbanlife

Mayor Sessoms wants to gauge support for the arena...

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/01/va-beach-mayor-wants-gauge-support-arena

I applaud him...now that there's no rush with any relocation plans, the city can take its time, and still focus on other issues like the roads and city employee pay. It would still be great to have an arena for larger concerts and events. And although I don't see the NBA or NHL any relocating or expanding in the next 5 or 10 years, it's still good to see the city thinking forward.

Mayor Sessoms wants to gauge support for the arena...

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/01/va-beach-mayor-wants-gauge-support-arena

I applaud him...now that there's no rush with any relocation plans, the city can take its time, and still focus on other issues like the roads and city employee pay. It would still be great to have an arena for larger concerts and events. And although I don't see the NBA or NHL any relocating or expanding in the next 5 or 10 years, it's still good to see the city thinking forward.

And strangely enough, I don't hear anyone from the VBTA clamoring for a referendum. I think they might have learned their lesson from the last one.  :shades:  I'm all for pursuing an arena even without a sports team, though I prefer we have light rail up and running before we do. 

I had to make myself read the articles, and immediately click out. Reading the comments was only going to frustrate me. Then again, you'd never know this area supports light rail expansion if you only read the comments section, so who knows?

I think most people in VA Beach support development and the stadium. Just as this website is a sound board for pro development for us, the Virginia Pilot and its comment board section is a sound piece for the VBTA and their cronies (Kerry Daugherty). Truth be told most residents probably dont care too much either way and will go along with what the council wants to pass.

I can't stand reading the comments though. People in VB are so narrow minded.

Well, I decided long ago that the people of VB, the older crowd, are elitest, narrow minded, and want their cake and eat it too. They want better schools, but truth be told, the effort into education has been stagnant, no better, no worst. What has gotten worst is the student body.

They want better pay for employees but do not understand how investments play a roll although they use the concept in their daily lives. Governing is a collectively approach, if one person could do it well, we would probably be a dictatorship.

Face it, these are a group of people who prospured for years on the very things we suggest today, its just in the 2013, its pie in the sky, it won't work, its the worst. Now don't get me, I'm not suggesting that they have not made bad deals or suggestions, but the process is still the same. If you want more, you have to invest.

At the end of the day, there is a portion in va.beach who want it all without having to subscribe to what needs to get it. They want nice homes, great school, awesome pay, but they do not want their land developed, urbanized, or build industry...

Well, I decided long ago that the people of VB, the older crowd, are elitest, narrow minded, and want their cake and eat it too. They want better schools, but truth be told, the effort into education has been stagnant, no better, no worst. What has gotten worst is the student body.

They want better pay for employees but do not understand how investments play a roll although they use the concept in their daily lives. Governing is a collectively approach, if one person could do it well, we would probably be a dictatorship.

Face it, these are a group of people who prospured for years on the very things we suggest today, its just in the 2013, its pie in the sky, it won't work, its the worst. Now don't get me, I'm not suggesting that they have not made bad deals or suggestions, but the process is still the same. If you want more, you have to invest.

At the end of the day, there is a portion in va.beach who want it all without having to subscribe to what needs to get it. They want nice homes, great school, awesome pay, but they do not want their land developed, urbanized, or build industry...

Now that you mention it, I am really surprised there isn't a public university in Virginia Beach. You would think one would of been established there.  I always thought it would be a good idea to relocate all the City Hall stuff to Pembroke and turn the original city hall into a public university, then that would give the city a reason to run light rail along Independence/Princess Anne.

It is good to see they are still planning on pursuing an arena of some sort, though I still think they should go after Major League Soccer seeing they will be the ones looking to expand next out of all the major league sports.

Edited by urbanlife

I have wondered in the past why VB doesn't have a public 4-year school (nothing large, even a CNU or Va. Wesleyan sized campus would be fine), but I always thought the stretch of land along 264 near Birdneck or First Colonial would've made a nice space.

However, using the court complex and moving everything to Town Center would be a great idea. You have a McDonald's and 7-11 there, plus Harris Teeter, which is all a college student ever needs. :-P Honestly, I'd heavily consider putting TCC into the mix too, if not converting that into a 4-year campus...I think CNU did the same in the 70s.

If you were to ever get a football team, you have the Sportsplex, and with a small school you could get away with using the one side of bleachers. I know there's a field house next door, but not sure if it has seats for basketball or volleyball.

I have wondered in the past why VB doesn't have a public 4-year school (nothing large, even a CNU or Va. Wesleyan sized campus would be fine), but I always thought the stretch of land along 264 near Birdneck or First Colonial would've made a nice space.

The youngest of Hampton Roads state universities, CNU, was founded in 1961. Virginia Beach in 1961 wasn't exactly a prime site for any college. In fact, Tidewater CC didn't open their Beach campus until 2001. Virginia Beach was just off everyone's radar back when Virginia was actually founding new colleges.

Since there are four public universities in Hampton Roads already (ODU, NSU, CNU, W&M), there won't be another public university anywhere near Hampton Roads anytime soon. There might be a shot of a private/religious university opening though. Actually, the best shot would be Regent University expanding.

I think Regent actually does plan to expand. I think that stretch of Centerville Turnpike should expand with it though. It's not quite the same, but Hampton U. is adding on more at Town Center as well. As an alum, that's always good news. However, I thought TCC-VB opened in the 70s? I took a couple of summer school classes there in 2000 and '01, and those buildings were old even then hahaha.

Meanwhile, Del. Ron Villanueva wants to revive the regional sports authority. Very smart move, and he mentions an issue that I think is the primary reason we don't have a major league team: we don't have an adequate venue in place. More importantly, I like that both Mayors Fraim and Sessoms favor working together on this effort.

Build a 50/50 split revenue arena at Newtown Rd.  or at the intersection of Kempsville Rd. and Princess Anne. It's the center of South Hampton Roads and is the much more accessible than the oceanfront.  Also, both Norfolk and Va Beach want to urbanize the Newtown Rd. area, so they can do it simultaneously on both sides.  Oh, it also happens to be where the transfer point will be between the two lightrail lines.

Edited by mistermetaj

• 2 weeks later...

Death reports on the arena in Virginia Beach see to be premature, as the move for state aid passed the first stage:

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/01/state-aid-va-beach-sports-arena-clears-first-hurdle

Del. Ron Villanueva’s legislation (HB2320) would allow the city to issue bonds to build an arena and to receive state tax revenue generated by the facility to repay the bonds. The measure was approved by a subcommittee and now advances to the full House Finance Committee.

Death reports on the arena in Virginia Beach see to be premature, as the move for state aid passed the first stage:   http://hamptonroads.com/2013/01/state-aid-va-beach-sports-arena-clears-first-hurdle
Basically this will allow VB to build the arena without a sports team by issuing their own bonds. The only "aid" the state is providing is giving back taxes from the arena to pay back the debt. Its a good idea, Im glad it passed.

Basically this will allow VB to build the arena without a sports team by issuing their own bonds. The only "aid" the state is providing is giving back taxes from the arena to pay back the debt. Its a good idea, Im glad it passed.

It is probably the only way any city in Virginia is ever going to get a stadium like this built.  I still wish them luck finding a team to fill it.  I still think their best bet would be going after an MLS team seeing they do good in secondary sports markets.

It is probably the only way any city in Virginia is ever going to get a stadium like this built.  I still wish them luck finding a team to fill it.  I still think their best bet would be going after an MLS team seeing they do good in secondary sports markets.

A friend of mine from college (he's from NoVA) said he never truly saw HR as an NBA market, but thought MLB would work here. I know the Tides get decent attendance to be AAA, so I could believe that. I know they wanted to expand Harbor Park for what's now the Nationals. Either that or NHL would do best here, but I'd hate to see the Tides and Admirals go bye-bye.

I could also see MLS in VB. I'll never understand why they a) only built one side to the Sportsplex, or b) put it in the furthest corner of the city. Had they built it as a regular stadium and put it somewhere central, they could host more HS playoff games and tournaments, including state championships, and maybe even some college stuff (All-American games, I-AA/FCS championships, etc.), and of course lure an MLS team. 

Anytime I see the high school football state championship games, I look at 80% empty Scott Stadium (UVA) and shake my head.

A friend of mine from college (he's from NoVA) said he never truly saw HR as an NBA market, but thought MLB would work here. I know the Tides get decent attendance to be AAA, so I could believe that. I know they wanted to expand Harbor Park for what's now the Nationals. Either that or NHL would do best here, but I'd hate to see the Tides and Admirals go bye-bye.

I could also see MLS in VB. I'll never understand why they a) only built one side to the Sportsplex, or b) put it in the furthest corner of the city. Had they built it as a regular stadium and put it somewhere central, they could host more HS playoff games and tournaments, including state championships, and maybe even some college stuff (All-American games, I-AA/FCS championships, etc.), and of course lure an MLS team. 

Anytime I see the high school football state championship games, I look at 80% empty Scott Stadium (UVA) and shake my head.

MLB has more games, bigger stadiums, and more seats to fill.  We'll get an NBA team before we'll ever get a baseball team.  

MLB has more games, bigger stadiums, and more seats to fill.  We'll get an NBA team before we'll ever get a baseball team.  

I love baseball and I wanted to see the Nationals go to Portland, but even I knew a city like Portland, OR couldn't handle a MLB team because Seattle has to use the population of Portland to help justify having a MLB because even Seattle is barely big enough to support one.

Regions like Hampton Roads is in the running for a NBA, MLS, or NHL team.  Those are the three pro leagues that you can expect to see in Hampton Roads, and the problem with that list is NBA and NHL aren't looking to expand and there aren't many teams looking to move.  MLS is gonna be their best bet for a pro team.

Actually, the NHL is talking about expansion. On Hockey Night in Canada this past weekend, they mentioned a possible second team in Toronto. The NHL will never come to Hampton Roads anyway. Quebec, Hamilton, Kansas City, and Hartford are more viable candidates to get an expansion or relocated team.

• 2 months later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/05/va-beach-wanted-kings-got-played-pawns

I am mad Im even commenting on his article but nothing disgusts me more than an opinion columnist like Rogwr Chelsey referring to a non southernor bringing a business here as a "carpetbagger". I guess for some the Civil War reconstruction era has not ended yet. He is such a pessimistic joke in all of his articles about new business ventures, just like Kerry Daugherty, but even she doesnt divide along the mason dixon line like this idiot. i am embarrased my local newspaper would print such a ridiculous comment.

More of the same-ol' small town thinking from the Pilot, and a majority of the commenters are going right along with it.

While I realize that VB was used as a pawn for a greater scheme, what Roger (and the other VP columnists other than maybe Harry Minium) fail to realize is that this area missed out in the past because they didn't the right venue in place. When we almost got the Hornets, David Stern realized New Orleans had an arena already built, much larger than Scope and with modern amenities like luxury boxes. Similar case with the Expos/Nationals...the DC deal almost fell through, but they still had RFK, which could be converted for baseball with adequate seating. David Stern (and I'm sure his replacement) knows this area wants an NBA team...he also knows this area has a tiny arena. Even the Sportsplex wasn't really the right venue for UFL ball, but they were able to make it work.

Unfortunately, HR has a small arena and baseball stadium, and without something of a reasonable size, this area will continue to get overlooked. They're already behind the curve with cities like Kansas City, Louisville, even Omaha and Des Moines building state-of-the-art arenas. Norfolk or VB should've had one in place 15-20 years ago.

Looks like Seattle is officially out of the running. NBA voted down the proposal to relocate the Kings there. David Stern speculated on the possibility of expansion, depending on a new TV deal. More of the same-ol, same-ol.

Meanwhile, I wonder if VB still wants to go through with this arena, with the entertainment complex coming?