Virginia Beach Arena (Cancelled)

vdogg

That looks pretty cool, I hope this proposal can actually see reality and get built.  I do like the idea of incorporating the light rail into it as well.  Makes great for parking because the city could use parking at other stations in their total parking numbers.

I think if light rail and this arena happen, it would be wise for VB to want to have a second light rail line running from the airport to the oceanfront.  That is something that would really benefit VB on the tourist front. 

• 3 weeks later...

http://insidebiz.com/news/nashville-arena-ceo-says-beach-arena-needs-major-tenant-succeed

"If an arena in Virginia Beach ever comes to pass, its success may hinge on its ability to draw a major tenant, an industry executive told a Hampton Roads audience last week.

Jeff Cogen, CEO of the National Hockey League's Nashville Predators and Nashville's Bridgestone Arena, said having a professional sports team can double the value of various revenue streams...."

I think Kansas City is the one exception to the rule. Sprint Center (an awesome-looking place IMO) has been open close to 7 years with no NBA or NHL team, though I think they may have an arena football team. They do, however, land quite a few concerts and the occasional NCAA opening round game. I know a few articles have pointed to KC as an example of how to manage an arena successfully without a major league tenant. That is probably the exception to the rule, but if Comcast Spectacor is behind this, VB could join that list.

According to this WVEC article, VB taxpayer's bill for the arena might total $100m. They have a video on the site but it won't play as of now. 

That's a whole lotta dollars for sure... 

Use internet explorer and the video plays ok..

Might is the operative word. Won't know for sure until July, and the media always likes to play up the cost angle like it's the end of the world. Keep in mind, most of this is infrastructure improvements the beach would have done anyway with or without an arena.

Case and point.

"The city is contemplating one of its largest ever economic development projects," Hansen said in the statement. "The public infrastructure costs to support the entire arena cover more than the needs of the arena. They also include infrastructure needs for a future convention center expansion, a future headquarters hotel, the necessary parking, public gathering spaces and the alignment of a public transit system."

Councilmember Deyer said many of the projects included in the list of infrastructure projects are things that would need to be done by the city whether or not the arena was built.

"These are the types of things we should be doing anyways," Deyer said. "That's the city's responsibility."

• 4 weeks later...

"Construction to start in late 2014"? I'll believe that when I see it. That's quite a fast track schedule.

The chances of a late 2014 start on arena construction are the same as Senator Blutarksy's college GPA.... zero.. point.. zero.

That said, $50 mil isn't nearly as bad of a price tag as was expected. Hopefully this project continues to go through.

• 4 months later...

Looks like this is taking a step closer to reality. City Council traveled to Nebraska to check out the arena in Lincoln, said to be the prototype for the VB arena. According to the arena, councilmembers were very impressed.

http://insidebiz.com/news/road-virginia-beach-arena-goes-through-nebraska

Edited by BFG

All the reports say NBA or NHL, either of which would be awesome. Somehow, I could see an Arena Football team coming into the mix. I know there was the Nighthawks back in the early-2000s that did OK, but I think an AFL team would work. The area really did support the UFL for the two (abbreviated) seasons they played at the Sportsplex. They probably averaged 10-15,000 fans, which could translate well to Arena fan support.

• 3 weeks later...

The city council has approved the term sheet....unanimously. (John Moss voted for this?  :shok: )

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/12/va-beach-council-oks-arena-term-sheet

The term sheet, which is not contractually binding, will allow developer United States Management to move forward with obtaining private financing to construct the proposed $200 million arena. If approved, the city would develop a binding development agreement to be voted on next year

• 1 month later...

Things are moving forward folks, getting close to final approvals. This thing will have quite a presence when viewed from the freeway. This is going up before the planning commission Feb 11th. Planning docs include new renderings and detailed schematics. Enjoy. :)

http://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/planning/boards-commissions-committees/Documents/PC/2015/02Feb/20150211PLN-CUR-02-US-MANAGEMENT-ALT.pdf

As excited as I am for the arena, I'm looking forward to what effect this has on 17th Street. There is already a little bit of a revival with the OneTonie Studio, Hearth and Plow, Chartreuse, and new creative space going in on the corner with Baltic. The fire station, police precinct, and library are nice newer buildings too. It would be great to see some of the other dumpy places torn down or at least converted. They can start at  the shopping center with AutoZone and Dollar General... its a major dump.

As excited as I am for the arena, I'm looking forward to what effect this has on 17th Street. There is already a little bit of a revival with the OneTonie Studio, Hearth and Plow, Chartreuse, and new creative space going in on the corner with Baltic. The fire station, police precinct, and library are nice newer buildings too. It would be great to see some of the other dumpy places torn down or at least converted. They can start at  the shopping center with AutoZone and Dollar General... its a major dump.

I'm more excited for what this will do for the old dome site. With as many plans that have fallen through for that land, I think it'll be a lot easier to get people to build down there with the arena. It'll become prime real estate.

Really glad to see this project is still on the table. I was starting to fear that the Virginian-Pilot expose on Mayor Sessoms was going to push this to the backburner for years to come.

I get that the paper needed to put something out there, but I hate how it was done.