Virginia Beach Arena (Cancelled)

vdogg

Councilwoman Rosemary Wilson said she thinks the city is inching closer to an arena agreement but there are a few issues being worked out. Wilson said the council talked about those issues behind closed doors on Tuesday.

"We are really close," Wilson said. "Everybody on both sides has worked very hard.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/11/virginia-beach-council-working-closed-sessions-reach-arena-agreement#_ga=1.101980481.1917260881.1445451588

That Inside Business article from a few weeks ago implied that ESG has a league interested in the arena developments, but they claim they can't mention much. Dunno if that was just a ploy to move this along, but it's good to see this might actually come to fruition sometime soon.

Mayor William D. Sessoms, Jr., has called a special meeting of the Virginia Beach City Council on Monday, Nov. 9, to discuss the potential award of a public contract concerning the arena project. 

Because discussion in an open session would adversely affect the city’s bargaining position or negotiating strategy, the meeting will be held in closed session, as allowed by state law. The meeting will start at 4 p.m. in open session in the council conference room, then will recess into closed session. 

No votes will be held, other than the votes in open session to convene and certify the closed meeting.

http://www.vbgov.com/news/Pages/selected.aspx?release=2744

The City Council and a private developer reached a tentative agreement tonight on building a sports and entertainment arena in Virginia Beach.

The city and the developer previously reached an agreement, but they have made changes to it, which will be revealed tomorrow at a City Council briefing. Council members met for nearly two hours to go over details of the agreement.

At 6:30 Nov. 19, the developer, United States Management, will present the proposal to the public at the Convention Center. The public is invited to address the council during its meeting on Dec. 1.

On Dec. 8, the City Council is expected to vote on the arena proposal. The council will need nine of its members to vote in favor of the project for it to be approved. Mayor Will Sessoms said the nine votes are required because the arena is expected to be built on city property across from the Convention Center.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/11/va-beach-council-developer-reach-tentative-agreement-arena#_ga=1.100683969.1917260881.1445451588

I like that they're pushing this along, with the public meeting this month and a vote next month. The nine votes concerns me a lot.

Agree! I'm concerned, as well. Anyone else that is excited about this project should write a letter to council to show support for this endeavor! This is the opportunity of a lifetime for the entire state! People would drive hours and hours from all over to see a show or an event in Virginia Beach.  Lets make it happen! 

I'm not concerned at all. Moss and Desteph will vote no as always, the other 9 will vote yes. That's the way this always goes down. I think the arena is a done deal. The only city money involved is that which was going to be spent on infrastructure improvements anyway. This is financed with private money.

Edited by vdogg

That sounds about right...

With an approval next month, I'm guessing groundbreaking happens sometime in summer 2016 (let's say June), with it opening in the second half of 2018. Maybe sooner on the groundbreaking, depending on what land needs to be cleared?

The official details of the arena have been released.

http://www.pilotonline.com/news/new-details-in-virginia-beach-arena-proposal-revealed/article_15513d1a-7654-5e6f-bdb2-6dc4e0b13360.html

Three points:

• Andrea Kilmer says there is interest from an unnamed Big-4 team
  • The article says USM has eight to 10 months to secure a loan commitment from the Chinese lender
  • The city has until October 2019 to open the arena, but developers plan to open it in 2018.

“Even a skeptic like myself,” sad Dyer, “I can’t tell you how excited I am for this and what it can bring to the future of Virginia Beach.”

http://wavy.com/2015/11/10/virginia-beach-releases-details-of-arena-project/

Schedule

The path forward regarding the arena agreement is as follows:

• November 10 - City Council Public Briefing – Docs Publicized
  • November 17 - Virginia Beach Development Authority (VBDA) Briefing
  • November 19 - Public Briefing at the Virginia Beach Convention Center, Suite 5, 6:30 p.m.
  • December 1   -  Public Hearing at Virginia Beach City Council
  • December 8   - City Council Vote
  • December 15  - VBDA vote to authorize their role in transaction

http://www.yesvirginiabeach.com/resources/arena-information

Reading the updates about this the last few days excites me a lot. I will try to make the public briefing Nov 19 to get more information and hear more about this. It seems we are finally so close to it actually happening this time that it almost scares me due to the opportunities that have come and gone or had failed before. I feel this a good deal overall and the city is now ready for something like this. Staying positive but if this fall through somehow I will be crushed. Fingers crossed, this an enormous opportunity for not only Va Beach but the region as well. 

Councilwoman Barbara Henley wants to know who the Chinese investor is before a vote is made. I understand the sentiment, but I hope council doesn't cut off their nose to spite their faces here. This is still a win-win deal.

Wonder if the team they're "talking to" is just a ploy to move things along? I don't see any NBA teams moving, and I think if an NHL team were to move, they're going to Quebec City, unless that's one of the expansion cities with Vegas.

This article offers a little more, and leans towards there being more of a hockey arena, with the ability to switch for basketball. Surprisingly, John Moss is also in favor of this.

Edited by BFG

how did this slip by us?  it mentions virginia beach for an Uptown Alley possible location, but im wondering if this investor has anything to do with the arena and as far as a bank comparable to wells fargo and bank of america is concerned, i'm guessing that the bank is probably ICBC. http://richmondbizsense.com/2014/09/11/chinese-investors-bankroll-project-big-splash/

Edited by tallguy81"

how did this slip by us?  it mentions virginia beach for an Uptown Alley possible location, but im wondering if this investor has anything to do with the arena and as far as a bank comparable to wells fargo and bank of america is concerned, i'm guessing that the bank is probably ICBC. http://richmondbizsense.com/2014/09/11/chinese-investors-bankroll-project-big-splash/

The Uptown Alley is still lated to be built at Pembroke Mall.