Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

On 3/20/2024 at 8:35 AM, I miss RVA said:

Construction is slated to begin this spring on the first phase of a huge 2,200-home development along 288, northwest of the Midlothian Turnpike exit. The Aire at Westchester will be built north and west of the large Westchester Commons shopping center at the 288-Midlo interchange. The overall project will include a mix of townhomes, condos, apartments, single family homes and upwards of 180K sq ft of commercial space. Indeed, the 288 corridor continues popping with development.

From Monday's Richmond Times-Dispatch:

https://richmond.com/news/local/business/chesterfield-housing-midlothian-route-288-homes/article_ddf73aa2-e531-11ee-a895-cff339dc1df0.html

65f84e1b2b6b8.image.jpg

Screenshot (4236).png

FOLLOW UP:

Jonathan Spiers has reporting in today's RBS on the Westchester Aire development with some nifty new renderings of what's on the way for this project. Site work and land clearing is already underway for the first phase of the development - for-sale condos and two-over-two units. The next phase with more townhomes will get underway in about six months. Single family homes and commercial buildings will come later - and the overall projected timeline for complete buildout is 10 to 15 years. All site work is expected to be complete within 12 to 18 months, according to Jonathan's reporting, with construction beginning at about the 18 month mark - so likely Q3 of 2025.

Commercial space will be concentrated in the southernmost portion of the property, closest to Midlothian Turnpike.

Very robust. And some nice renderings.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/03/21/hhhunt-starts-2200-home-development-beside-westchester-commons/

AireAtWestchesterPromenade.jpg

7.19R-AireAtWestchesterImages.jpg

BrickHouseWestChester2.jpg

Screenshot (4238).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

On 3/20/2024 at 9:35 AM, I miss RVA said:

Indeed, the 288 corridor continues popping with development.

As someone who went to Midlo High, well, decades ago now, and who may have gotten the thrill of high speed vehicular travel on the stretch of Midlothian Turnpike to the west of the school, I will say that the area is rather unrecognizable to me now. I'm not saying this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I suppose it's an inevitable thing. I haven't been too impressed with much of the development so far; to some degree, it's struck me as a hodge-podge of crap (Westchester Commons, in particular). Short Pump without style, lol. But hopefully these newer developments turn out well.

• Like 1

Virginia: Large new warehouse proposed for New Kent (richmond.com)

Warehouse the size of 24 football fields coming to this Richmond-area interchange

An Indiana developer is planning a 1.4 million-square-foot warehouse facility next to the Route 106 interchange on Interstate 64 in New Kent County.

The one-story building – the size of 24 football fields – will be next to the new, $185 million, 800,000-square-foot warehouse and distribution center that Autozone is building by that same interchange.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

Warehouse the size of 24 football fields coming to this Richmond-area interchange

An Indiana developer is planning a 1.4 million-square-foot warehouse facility next to the Route 106 interchange on Interstate 64 in New Kent County.

The one-story building – the size of 24 football fields – will be next to the new, $185 million, 800,000-square-foot warehouse and distribution center that Autozone is building by that same interchange.

I also think that Buc-ees will be going in around there as well. That’s going to be one hopping area in a couple years! Wowzers!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Child2021 said:

The entire section of I-64 between Richmond and Hampton Roads is exploding with New Warehouses. With this, the Autozone warehouse coming online and the massive Lovett Commerce Center that will have over 2 million square feet in James City County, there will be lots of increased truck traffic on I-64.

Love this nugget in the RT-D article:

New Kent sees rapid growth

I-64 is fueling rapid growth in New Kent, which saw its population grow by 4.7% last year, the 10th biggest percentage increase in the nation.

Along I-64 on the other side of the metro area, Goochland County’s population rose almost 4%.

New Kent and Goochland have really become the east-and-west "bookends" of metropolitan Richmond and both counties are cranking along very nicely in terms of population growth. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Love this nugget in the RT-D article:

New Kent sees rapid growth

I-64 is fueling rapid growth in New Kent, which saw its population grow by 4.7% last year, the 10th biggest percentage increase in the nation.

Along I-64 on the other side of the metro area, Goochland County’s population rose almost 4%.

New Kent and Goochland have really become the east-and-west "bookends" of metropolitan Richmond and both counties are cranking along very nicely in terms of population growth. 

goochland really is starting to hit the effects of short pump on broad. A chick fil a is now out there right at the light at 288. Lots taking place out that way. The more heavier broad street gets the more goochland will start to see. Up here in the Shenandoah valley on Frederick county/winchester we are starting to get a booming effect from people moving from loudon and nova as well as places north like Pennsylvania Maryland ohio and even Michigan. Lots of people coming from all over our way. We definitely pull a share of people from the rust belt. Quite a few former Detroit natives and people from places in Ohio like Cleveland and Toledo. Also quite a few Pittsburgh people have moved here. So we are getting hit from all directions too. I think the next economic boom both Richmond metro and the Winchester metro are going to explode. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

1.) goochland really is starting to hit the effects of short pump on broad. A chick fil a is now out there right at the light at 288. Lots taking place out that way. The more heavier broad street gets the more goochland will start to see.

2.) I think the next economic boom both Richmond metro and the Winchester metro are going to explode. 

Good stuff, @Downtowner! A couple of thoughts:

1.) Goochland - very true. And I believe the #19 bus (local) has been extended into Goochland. Never thought I'd live to see the day that would happen. VERY happy to see this.

2.) Re: Richmond specifically: from your keyboard to God's eyes, my friend! 👍 🙂

On 3/20/2024 at 9:11 AM, I miss RVA said:

UPDATE:

The Hanover County Planning Commission has unanimously approved Denver-based Blenheim Associates' proposed data center along Hickory Hill Road, northeast of Ashland, according to reporting in last Thursday's (3/14/24) RT-D. The 1,211-acre project will comprise upwards of 46 buildings and create more than 860 new jobs. The county board of supervisors will vote on the measure at its March 27th meeting. This proposed data center - along with the huge center proposed for eastern Henrico - will go a LONG way to establishing metro RVA as an up-and-coming data hub. While we'll still lag behind NOVA in this red-hot booming industry, both the state and local governments have been pushing hard to lure data companies to the Richmond region to build out new facilities, which will create hundreds - if not thousands - of new jobs -- a BIG plus to help fuel metro RVA's continued growth.

Here's hoping the county board gives the green light to this project. My guess is that they will, given that the complex is forecast to ultimately generate around $68 million in annual tax revenue. I can't see the county saying "no" to THAT kind of money.

From last Thursday's (March 14th) Richmond Times-Dispatch:

https://richmond.com/news/local/business/hanover-ashland-data-center-blenheim-associates/article_fbe4a1b4-e147-11ee-a825-17cd9f5638ac.html#tracking-source=mp-in-article

image.png.a78e9bec521189641b0926d908572d42.png

Screenshot (4237).png

UPDATE:

The Hanover County Board of Supervisors yesterday UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED the huge Denver-based Blenheim Associates' proposed data center along Hickory Hill Road, northeast of Ashland. Jack Jacobs has reporting in today's RBS that Tract, the development company handling the project, indicated that the property can support up to NINE MILLION square feet of data center space spread across 30 buildings. WOW! The BOS also approved a CUP allowing for building heights of up to 110 feet. Using 13-foot floor plating, that would come out to 8 stories. Again, WOW!

Tract is anticipating it will spend upwards of $75 million to $100 million on water, utilities, roadwork, etc., in preparing the site for actual construction. The article did not mention an estimated timeline for construction, however Jack did quote Tract's director for developments Kristin Dean as saying the first data facilities were anticipated to come online by 2027.

Thus it would appear that - as the legendary NASA/Kennedy Space Center "voice of Apollo Launch Control" Jack King used to say during the Apollo launches in he 1960s: "All systems are go at this time."

GREAT news!! Coupled with the huge data center proposed in eastern Henrico, this will go a LONG LONG way in establishing metro RVA as a burgeoning hub for data and definitely make us at least somewhat competitive with NOVA in that arena as well as create hundreds - if not thousands - of new jobs, helping to further fuel this region's population growth.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/03/28/hanover-approves-zoning-request-for-1200-acre-data-center-project/

tract-hanover-project-site-2024.png

tract-concept-plan-2024.png

Screenshot (4290).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

Data centers are all the rage around metro Richmond!

Jack Jacobs has reporting in today's RBS that Irish company Chirisa recently filed a POD with Chesterfield County to build an additional data center on their campus at 1401 Meadowville Technology Parkway.  The new 139K sq ft facility with an initial capacity of 20 megawatts is expected to be completed in late 2025.

Chirisa is also eyeing the site of the unfinished (and obviously vacant) packaging facility built by Mexican firm Cartograf, which announced plans for their plant in 2019. Construction on the 300K sq ft facility was started but never completed, and earlier this year Chirisa had the winning bid in partnership with NOVA-based American Real Estate Partners to purchase the site from Cartograf in a court-ordered sale. Cartograf has appealed but has yet to post a required bond of $900K. They  have until May to do so.

If the purchase goes through, Chirisa will knock down the existing Cartograf building and construct a third data center similar in size to what is/will be on their campus. The current data center is 244K sq feet.

Interesting note: the Cartograf site is less than half a mile southwest of the Chirisa campus and, together, the two sites are roughly one mile south of the huge LEGO manufacturing facility, currently under construction. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/04/09/data-center-expanding-in-meadowville-tech-park-as-operator-eyes-nearby-cartograf-site/

chrisia-data-center-meadowville-aerial-2013-2048x1152.jpg

chirisa-data-center-plan-meadowville-e1712616300241.png

cartograf-meadowville-plant.png

Screenshot (4534).png

Screenshot (4535).png

• Like 2

Wowwww... that's really impressive! And this is only Phase 1.  Can't wait to see how this will look when it gets fully built out.

Man - and the memories I have of old Beaufont Mall and that obnoxiously huge parking lot. I'm amazed by how much things are really changing around metro Richmond.

• Like 2

Jonathan Spiers has reporting in today's RBS of the next phase of development of the huge Chickahominy Falls development in southern Hanover (just west of Route 1). The county gave the green light to this next phase last month - and construction of 169 single family homes is scheduled to begin by the middle of next year, bringing the total number of houses in this expansive 55-plus community to 637, which is significantly larger than the 400-house development originally approved in 2018. What's really interesting, it that Chickahominy Falls -- which includes a 10-acre professionally managed four-season community farm called Woodside Farms and Market -- has received national recognition - yet another plus for metro RVA!

An interesting personal note: when I saw "Cedar Lane" I immediately began looking for -- and found -- the small group of three houses clustered on the north side of Cedar Lane just east of the already built-out portion of Chickahominy Falls. Given all the suburbanization that's taken place in that part of the county (this development, a large industrial park across the street, etc.) I wasn't sure those houses were still there. Those houses belonged to my family. One was my grandparents' home. The second belonged to one of my aunt's. And the third house belonged to my parents. My father built the house when he was dating my mother - and it was the first house in which I ever lived right after I was born. We sold that house in 1964 and moved over to Granite (then in Chesterfield and a few years later annexed by the city) just west of Westover Hills.

Anyway - it was kinda cool to be reminded of a tiny portion of personal history while enjoying the continued growth and evolution of metro RVA.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/04/15/60-acre-expansion-to-finish-out-farm-centric-chickahominy-falls-development/

ChickahominyFallsMap.jpg

ChickahominyFallsExpansion.jpg

Chickahominy-Falls-Aerial.jpg

Woodside-Farms.jpg

Screenshot (4608).png

Screenshot (4609).png

• Like 1

Jack Jacobs has reporting in today's RBS that Cross Creek Development Co. is planning a new 261-home development on the western edge of Swift Creek Reservoir. The project, to be called Thacker's View, is slated to feature 161 single family homes and 100 townhomes, and is being developed jointly with the Thacker family, which owns the 100-acre site. If the project is approved later this year by the county, construction is anticipated to begin in 2026 or 2027 with project completion by 2028 or 2029.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/04/22/100-plus-acres-along-swift-creek-reservoir-slated-for-residential-project/

thackers-view-map-2.png

thackers-view-conceptual-plan-2024.png

thackers-view-detached-elevations-2022.pdf-e1713554691741.png

thackers-view-townhome-elevations-reservoir.png

Screenshot (4676).png

• Like 2

Jonathan Spiers has reporting in today's RBS that the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is breaking ground this week on a $31 million expansion of their campus in Lakeside. The two-year project will nearly double the size of the conservatory, add/incorporate a second lake and add seven acres of new gardens. The botanical garden last expanded in 2005. Interesting nugget in Jonathan's reporting: when the last expansion occurred some 19 years ago, annual visitation was at 124K. Today, according to gardens CEO Brian Trader, visitation is almost half a million annually.

Absolutely fantastic!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/04/22/lewis-ginter-botanical-garden-growing-campus-with-31m-expansion/

LGBG-Raised_Site.jpg

LGBG-Aerial-Final-2.jpg

LewisGinterAerial2018-1.jpg

LewisGinterAerial2018-2.jpg

LewisGinterProjectArea.jpg

Screenshot (4678).png

• Like 4

The Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond is putting their West Creek building and property along with two additional undeveloped parcels up for sale. Michael Schwartz has reporting in today's RBS that the Fed used the 200K sq ft, six-story building on West Creek Parkway in Goochland for their IT staff, but began consolidating and vacating the building during and after the pandemic.

The parcels are being marketed as an opportunity for a wide variety of developments, including multi-family residential, office, commercial, retail, medical, etc. Should be interesting to see how long it takes for a developer to snap up this collection of parcels and get something going. There's a ton of land included - so maybe something mixed use with a heavy emphasis on residential - particularly multi-family. This looks like it has a ton of potential - and its location is in a fast-growing section of Goochland, not all that far from the Henrico County line. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/04/25/richmond-fed-vacates-west-creek-complex-lists-property-for-sale/

12560-West-Creek-Parkway-aerial-2.png

12560-West-Creek-Parkway.png

12560-West-creek-Parkway-aerial.png

Screenshot (4684).png