Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

This could just as easily be posted in the "Richmond Business/Economy" thread -

Pennsylvania-based First National Bank is looking to open a second metro Richmond branch, this time in former location of Atlantic Union Bank at 11263 W. Broad in the West Broad Village in Short Pump. FNB's first location is the planned built-from-scratch branch at 5514 W. Broad near Willow Lawn.

FNB's entry into the RVA market is a big WIN for metro Richmond. The bank has locations in NOVA, D.C., Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, the Piedmont Triangle in North Carolina and also in Charleston, S.C. So RVA is being added to a pretty exclusive - and big name - list of cities with FNB locations. Again - a BIG WIN for Richmond.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/12/19/with-first-local-branch-in-the-works-first-national-bank-eyes-a-second-in-short-pump/

Screenshot (3587).png

A nice injection of density is coming to western Henrico. Jonathan Spiers has reporting in today's RBS that Main Street Homes is planning an 81-unit townhome development called Shire Walk at the convergence of the John Rolfe Parkway and Church and Pump roads. Site work is currently underway, and actual construction could begin as early as this coming February.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/12/20/work-underway-on-81-townhomes-at-long-vacant-john-rolfe-parkway-site/

5.5R-Shire-JohnRolfeMewsPlaza.jpg

ShireWalk3.jpg

Screenshot (3597).png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Flood Zone said:

That area is such a Frankenstein's Monster of roadways. I'm glad something is filling the gap there. But, notwithstanding the tidbit about people on the VIP updates list, the emphasis in the article from the developer about "covered decks" suggests to me that they're marketing this in any way they can. 

It really is a crazy hodgepodge of subdivisions and roads. It's a real mess. I wonder if the true, legit "urban village" approach that was rejected would have worked there.

This looks like a new announcement (don’t think I’ve heard of it before), but is very good news for the Richmond Metro (specifically Hanover).  Check it out:

https://www.grpva.com/news/electrical-distributor-to-expand-into-virginia/?utm_content=276114512&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-350808887428&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

This looks like a new announcement (don’t think I’ve heard of it before), but is very good news for the Richmond Metro (specifically Hanover).  Check it out:

https://www.grpva.com/news/electrical-distributor-to-expand-into-virginia/?utm_content=276114512&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-350808887428&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Definitely a WIN for metro RVA.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 10:28 AM, I miss RVA said:

Jonathan Spiers has reporting in today's RBS that Main Street Homes is planning an 81-unit townhome development called Shire Walk at the convergence of the John Rolfe Parkway and Church and Pump roads.

Banner week for that neck of the woods because RBS now tell us that work is beginning on the long-anticipated Waffle House. Good for them, I guess?

(It seems to me that Waffle House has kind of taken the PBR path; what once was considered kind of "yucky" now is considered ironically cool?) 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

Banner week for that neck of the woods because RBS now tell us that work is beginning on the long-anticipated Waffle House. Good for them, I guess?

(It seems to me that Waffle House has kind of taken the PBR path; what once was considered kind of "yucky" now is considered ironically cool?) 

Waffle House -- :tw_smiley:

1 hour ago, Flood Zone said:

Turns out this is across the street from the new Shire Walk development that's already under construction. Good timing!

Screenshot (3609).png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

D1 Moving and Storage and the developer Lingerfelt are first out of the gate in 2024 with plans for five new industrial buildings in a stretch of property between Williamsburg and Charles City roads in Varina. Four of the buildings would bring 250K sq ft of industrial and warehouse space, and the fifth building - on Williamsburg Road - would bring 177K sq feet of office and industrial space.

The developers have filed requests for rezoning with the county. Four of the requests have gotten planning commission approval. The fifth, which was added late in the year, will be considered by the planning commission at their January 11th meeting. The board of supervisors will vote on the requests in February.

From today's RichmondBizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/01/03/lingerfelt-guiding-plan-for-five-new-industrial-buildings-in-eastern-henrico/

Screenshot (3703).png

• Like 3

Sina Hospitality's proposed 90-room, four-story, TownePlace Suites by Marriott extended stay hotel is gearing up to break ground this coming May or June, according to Jack Jacobs' reporting in today's RBS. The new hotel is planned for 101 N. Providence Road, just south of the split with Buford Road, north of Midlothian Turnpike. Construction is anticpated to take about 18 months.

From today's RichmondBizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/01/08/local-hotelier-secures-chesterfields-approval-for-new-extended-stay-hotel/

hotel-sina-1.jpg

sina-hospitality-hotel-plan.png

Screenshot (3726).png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great article in today's Henrico Citizen. The county is purchasing the Varina Farms site on the James River at a cost of $17.25 million. Varina Farms is where John Rolfe developed a new type of tobacco that became quite prolific, saving the Virginia Colony at James town in the early 1600s. While I sometimes shake my head at how frivolously the term "historic" gets thrown around by preservationists in this city, THIS site is one of the truly - legitimately - historic sites that has national prominence. The Citizen refers to it - and rightly so - as being significant and instrumental in, as they put it, "the birth of a nation" - given how things might have been VERY different had Virginia Colony failed.

It's worth noting that Rolfe and his famous wife - Pocahontas - lived here on Varina Farms. If ever there is a place in the Commonwealth very much worthy of school field trips, it's Varina Farms. This site - is the very definition (IMNSHO) of a legitimately "historic" place.

Bravo to the county on their commitment and purchase. It's a HUGE asset to metro Richmond, the Commonwealth, and our nation as a whole.

From today's Henrico Citizen:

https://www.henricocitizen.com/articles/for-henrico-one-of-the-most-important-days-in-the-history-of-our-county/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axioslocal_richmond&stream=top

Screen-Shot-2024-01-17-at-10.57.54-AM-1024x540.webp

VarinaFarms.webp

HENRICOFLAG.webp

Edited by I miss RVA

FOLLOW UP:

Here's RBS' reporting on the Varina Farms. The county - and Wilmer Stoneman III, (whose family have owned the property for more than 100 years) - held a big kickoff event on the site yesterday with speeches, etc. The RBS article includes some additional - outstanding - photography.

FUN HISTORICAL FACT:  Varina Farms served as Henrico County's first seat of government for 120 years - from 1632 to 1752. The county seat was then moved to Richmond (in Shockoe Bottom) where it remained until it was moved to its current location on Parham Road.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/01/18/henrico-to-buy-2100-acre-varina-farms-property-for-17m/

VarinaFarms3.jpg

VarinaFarms2.jpg

VarinaFarms1.jpg

Screenshot (3781).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

Nice little injection of moderate density coming just west of Highland Springs. Jonathan Spiers has reporting in today's Richmond BizSense that RVA-based Dorado Capital is planning an 85-home subdivision off of Nine Mile Road, about a mile or so east of Laburnum Avenue. The planned development is right behind the county's Newbridge Firehouse 23, which is currently under construction on Nine Mile Road. According to Jonathan's reporting, the development would be built around Robinson Park and would fill a 30-acre gap (currently used for agriculture) - thereby connecting two established residential neighborhoods east and west of the new subdivision. The developers have filed a request for rezoning. The county planning commission will review and vote at their February 15th meeting. The developer is looking to break ground in either Q4 of this year or Q1 of 2025.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/01/19/85-home-subdivision-planned-near-upcoming-nine-mile-road-firehouse/

DoradoNineMile1.jpg

DoradoNineMile3.jpg

DoradoNineMile2.jpg

Firehouse-23-rendering-300x114.jpg

Screenshot (3793).png

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

I was messing around with my drone today and noticed I had a couple pictures of a development off Mechanicsville Turnpike from September 24th.

Here is the Richmond BizSense article about it.

There are two pad sites available for commercial space. One currently has a building being erected (not sure what is going in) and the other is still empty. 

DJI_0003.thumb.JPG.8a579ab51a1699e8835767c9aaa3078e.JPG

DJI_0004.thumb.JPG.6f088ba21e7482fba37c7006a0e64535.JPG

Additionally there was a small sub development that had been underway just across the turnpike. RBS article here.

Here is a picture of it.

DJI_0005.thumb.JPG.ae54b84885b9849d2231c19cec753259.JPG

Wow - very impressive!! Both the developments and your outstanding photography. I'm impressed with the urban-village design of the one project - it's very transformative to what was once a very typical suburban stretch. Wasn't there a strip shopping center on that property previously?

Wonderful photography - and, I'm coupling these outstanding photos with the your outstanding shots on the Northside collectively for your Silver trophy for this week - awarded in the VUU/Northside thread. Well done, my friend!

56 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Oh really? So the rink wasn't cancelled?

I was going to ask the same question.  Need some clarification on what is actually being built - is it the hockey rink that is being built or some other structure within the development?

• Like 1

Spring rock green....continued:

I am starting to think that the county may have switch some of the initial placement of things, including even the buildings. The apartments that are being built in the big square section of the building are being constructed in the area where the parking deck is being showed in the bottom graphic, and the parking deck adjacent to the ice facility is being constructed (near powerline easement) where the ice facility was supposed to go. I'm thinking that this will be in flux for a great amount of time. Also, Dollar tree has closed for good.

“A place to drive to – not through”: Inside Chesterfield’s ambitious ... “A place to drive to – not through”: Inside Chesterfield’s ambitious ...

(Note that 3 is the named facility, and 5 is the building that I'm talking about.)

• Like 1