Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

They also mentioned the developers wanted to build the highrises specifically to lure the HQ of a major company...

OOOOHHHH NNOOOO! I hope that they don't mean......Meadwestvaco! They need to be located downtown!!! OOORRR maybe there's another major relocation getting ready to happen :w00t: (Yeah, Right!) I bet they're courtin' Meadwestvaco....oooo that irks me :angry:

I think everyone is courting MWV right now... hopefully the city wins out. I'd LOVE to see them downtown. They want to have a permanent address by sometime in 2008. Currently, there isn't really enough office space in one location to support the 600+ employees at over 200,000 sf, with room to grow. Wherever they decide will almost definitely be a new building(s). MWV in Centennial Towers or better yet a new MWV tower would be great downtown IMO...

This West Broad Village would also contain over 600,000sf of retail (how much more can we really support?!) plus everything else planned.

This West Broad Village would also contain over 600,000sf of retail (how much more can we really support?!) plus everything else planned.

I think Short Pump is really trying to be a "downtown" location. I thought it was all "talk" until now. I don't think they'll be too successful though. It'd be too...well, upscale to be a "downtown" - not that all downtowns are not upscale, but It'd just be weird. :shok:

Edited by eandslee

Looking at the masterplan for this project is interesting... they briefly showed it on the news and the paper should probably show it soon. West Broad Village has what appears to be a grid layout. However, aside from the hotel and two office buildings, it is virtually totally surrounded by 1-3 story buildings consisting of commercial and residential space.

There's nothing like PR to attract interest, and I am SORELY disappointed that Mayor Wilder's name is not popping up on every other page touting downtown Richmond as the logical location for a major Fortune 500 relocation.

Is he disinterested? Is there a more prominent National figure to lure investment in the City he chose to lead? And that includes the entire Metro area.

If Doug chooses to critize he get all the publicity anybody could beg! But where is he when downtown needs him?

Edited by burt

I just saw the news report on the Village, those buildings are amazing :w00t: . It's much like a grid layout like Coupe said before. It consists of a few lakes and tons of office and residential space. Along with a few hotels and the 2 20 story buildings, it's much like its own town. It feels wierd having something this big happening all the way out in Short Pump. Why, I recall 9 years ago I moved out here, all Short Pump was, was a WalMart and a bank. How things have changed.... -_-

After hearing hours of opposition from their constituents, the Henrico board of supervisors unanimously approved the development.... there was a slight change. The developer opted to lower the height of the two office buildings to 18-stories.

I miss the days when the best thing about Short Pump was that airplane sticking out the roof of the autobody shop...I hate how they took it down.

After hearing hours of opposition from their constituents, the Henrico board of supervisors unanimously approved the development.... there was a slight change. The developer opted to lower the height of the two office buildings to 18-stories.

I miss the days when the best thing about Short Pump was that airplane sticking out the roof of the autobody shop...I hate how they took it down.

Now I just want to see renderings.

Now I just want to see renderings.

I guess I didn't realize how big this project was but in a way I'm relieved. Any concerns that this is going to be in competition with downtown were abated when I heard how it's surrounded by lakes and 1-2 story buildings. They trully are making their own little city there but the key word is "little". Like Watkins Center and most other suburban developments seem to do, they're buffering themselves from the surrounding area. Attempts to connect with this development will be difficult and in my mind at least, that's what it takes to create a true downtown. That's the downfall of giving too much land to one developer. I AM interested in seeing the renderings though.

You guys have to check out the editorial cartoon by Gary Brookins for Wednesday!

Hehe I think he's being a little optimistic but who knows. Even if in the unlikely event that area does become a "downtown", there are enough people in the Metro-Area to support both a downtown Richmond and a downtown Short Pump.

Why is my posting appearing as part of Coupe's? I'm sure as Hell not trying to speak for him.

My big kvetch, which everyone ignores, is Mr. Wilder's lack of publicity regarding attracting M/WV downtown. Why are we hearing so much about the burbs getting towers to accommodate the new Fortune 500 Company and precious little about a downtown location? Grrrrrrr!

Why is my posting appearing as part of Coupe's? I'm sure as Hell not trying to speak for him.

My big kvetch, which everyone ignores, is Mr. Wilder's lack of publicity regarding attracting M/WV downtown. Why are we hearing so much about the burbs getting towers to accommodate the new Fortune 500 Company and precious little about a downtown location? Grrrrrrr!

Burt I replied to your first comment about it but it disappeared! There was an article in the paper recently called "A Tale of Two Bids" or something like that. It described the different ways that Richmond responded to two bigtime bids... the Nascar HOF and the MWV HQ relocation. We were pretty publicly vocal when it came to the Nascar HOF, while the MWV was a major secret up until the day of the announcement. We lost the HOF, and won the MWV. In this case, perhaps getting on the soapbox doesn't really matter to MWV. I'm sure they are meeting with each and every locality and with many potential suitors that will offer the best home for them. You an I and everyone else know that Wilder would like to take credit for it, should they choose downtown, so I'm sure there's plenty of effort, just not where we can see.

Hehe I think he's being a little optimistic but who knows. Even if in the unlikely event that area does become a "downtown", there are enough people in the Metro-Area to support both a downtown Richmond and a downtown Short Pump.

Right, you have the new, clean, safe, rich downtown, and then you have the old, dingy, crime-ridden, poor downtown. Which one will all the people flock to?

Right, you have the new, clean, safe, rich downtown, and then you have the old, dingy, crime-ridden, poor downtown. Which one will all the people flock to?

Man, you are an optimist aren't you? ;)

The fact of the matter is a majority of suburbanites already don't go downtown so it's not like Richmond would be losing clientelle. Instead of going to Regency or Short Pump Town Center they will go to their pre-planned quasi-downtown. No biggee. People that like Richmond's style and character will continue coming and people that like the new, clean, and generally boring burbs are going to stay out there. It's a tale of two cities. What people like about Richmond, Short Pump can never have. History, old architecture, density, the James River... Sorry but all the new plaster, brick, steel and flashing lights in the world can't substitute for that. Richmond is on the upswing no matter what happens out on the Far West End.

Edited by ric75

They aren't creating a downtown in short pump. And I don't think our downtown is dingy, crime-ridden, or poor. It's a little old though

Agreed on both statements. Like, I mentioned earlier they are giving too much land to one entity for it to be a real downtown. I picture this being a bit like Columbia, Maryland. Very pretty, very clean, very well-landscaped and so lacking in soul.

If it ends up something like Reston town center, that would look great and I wouldn't mind it. I don't have a problem with the suburbs having density...it's something they lack as of yet. I just wish the old suburbs would get redeveloped before we go barreling into goochland and powhatan.

My heart's in the city...for all the negative things you say about it cam, I'll point out a dozen more positives.

Of course I don't think downtown is crime-ridden, but that is how most people see it. That's why I posted those contrasts, not personal feelings. I wouldn't have walked every sidewalk and basically the entire bank along the river if I didn't think it wasn't safe. Does need a cleaning though... the exhaust has stained some of the buildings... they can be cleaned up a little and some trash... but it's not like OH MY GOD WHAT A DUMP! And poor... COME ON! Short Pump is rich, you can't deny that, but the image of downtown to most is poor because of all the poor folks who wait for buses. But I couldn't afford to live downtown! Even Jackson Commons' cost made my jaw drop and I wouldn't mind jumping on board there if I had the money.

I just wish the old suburbs would get redeveloped before we go barreling into goochland and powhatan.

My heart's in the city...for all the negative things you say about it cam, I'll point out a dozen more positives.

This is happening to a pretty big extent on the Southside. Neighborhoods that were in disrepair ten years ago are now the place to be. Think of a lot of the places along Forest Hill and Semmes Avenue. Infill and gentrification is taking place though they aren't building as densely as I would like. You could probably consider Manchester the burbs and a lot is of new development is on their plate. The prosperity just needs to move north and east as well.